• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

I just got my son a copy of Devil Dinosaur # 1 in the dollar bin a few months ago. Glad I did , now even this dollar bin book will be a $100 book by Saturday. All you do is wispier a books name and poof its a triple digit book.

Yeah, I just sold/gave-away one of my last midgrade copies for dirt cheap almost immediately after I posted it for sale.

We'll see if the higher grades really take off this weekend, that might pry my penultimate copy from my hands. :cool:

Yeah, I just sold/gave-away one of my last midgrade copies for dirt cheap almost immediately after I posted it for sale.

We'll see if the higher grades really take off this weekend, that might pry my penultimate copy from my hands. :cool:

are you talking about the one I bought or another one?

It was different one (FN/FN+) that I've had for a while. It lasted less than two hours on the Bay, which tells me I gave it away.

I also picked up one more just to flip.

That will leave me with one NM- copy.

Not Kirby's best work, in my opinion. Strongly disliked his Captain Americas a year or two earlier, and didn't think much of his clunky dialogue on this. I know there are some pretty splash pages in the title, but it wasn't good enough to stay in my collection, so I gave it away, and still don't regret it.

I'm hoping Devil Dinosaur 1 doesn't have staying power at high grade. I've been trying to land a 9.8 for a while but didn't with other books I was getting. Ton of them sold on the bay for ~100. Now there's only one graded 9.8 and they want almost $300.

It was different one (FN/FN+) that I've had for a while. It lasted less than two hours on the Bay, which tells me I gave it away.

cool

I only have that one and the number 2 I bought off the rack. IIRC I also bought the Machine Man #2 at the same time.

Never did see the #1 of either of those come out where I lived/bought comics-- could have been one of those issues that sell out fast because at the time everyone was so into finding #1s.

Anyway-- so trying to read the story without the first issue was annoying. I recall getting halfway through and saying-- who is the monkey boy (moon boy)? What the heck is going on here?

Sadly-- I still haven't finished reading either one since getting your copy. I barely started getting through a similar predecessor (Kamandi). But they are part of the Kirby collection that are the last things I intend to sell off if that day comes.

It amazes me that the reboot with some moon-girl (Marvel is really stretching that character -- so innovative ;) ) is pushing the original series.

that is cray cray on the Roms because there are a lot of those in nice shape for some reason. I've had 15 or so copies over the years and most were NM or better, all plucked from dollar or less boxes.

ROM #1 quietly got over the $300 mark, on they way to $350 now.

i saw that too, but as 15 water stained copies I think that was a really good price for the seller on those

+1 All about selling at the right time!

i think that sale was before any announcement, no?

Devil Dino 1 is also a book I tossed in bulk into my grab bags along with Rom 1, Sandman 1 (Kirby), Shadow 1 (Kaluta), Shazam 1, Omac 1, DD 181, and Marvel Special Edition 15 because they had a lot of "value" in Overstreet at the time and that's what the grab bags were based on, even if FMV had not yet caught up. I had (and sometimes still have) 10+ copies of each. They were issues easy to acquire for cheap in the 90s and early 2000s. No more.

cool

I only have that one and the number 2 I bought off the rack. IIRC I also bought the Machine Man #2 at the same time.

Never did see the #1 of either of those come out where I lived/bought comics-- could have been one of those issues that sell out fast because at the time everyone was so into finding #1s.

Anyway-- so trying to read the story without the first issue was annoying. I recall getting halfway through and saying-- who is the monkey boy (moon boy)? What the heck is going on here?

Sadly-- I still haven't finished reading either one since getting your copy. I barely started getting through a similar predecessor (Kamandi). But they are part of the Kirby collection that are the last things I intend to sell off if that day comes.

It amazes me that the reboot with some moon-girl (Marvel is really stretching that character -- so innovative ;) ) is pushing the original series.

I also have a Machine Man #1 - but only one of them, so..... :cool:

This "Marvelous" idea of retooling old Marvel characters with hip-new-diverse people is really getting old - already. Yawn.

I just left two ROM #1s on the shelf a month or so ago for $6-$8 each at a LCS. One had water damage but the other was pretty nice.

doh!

I hate it when that happens.

Unless the books you left on the shelf were CGC 9.8 material, they wouldn't be worth the purchase at that price.