• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Why Defenders 1, and not Marvel Feature 1 Sub Mariner #34?

FTFY

Ahhhh cool... Even better;)

Sub-Mariner #34-35 have very little relevance as far as the team idea goes. The true storyline which sets the basis for the series is Dr. Strange #183, Hulk #126 and Sub-Mariner #22, a three-part story where they met for the first time (Dr. Strange is not even there in Sub-Mariner #34-35).

BTW, Defenders #1 is not common in grade compared to the more costly Marvel Feature #1.

While its true that they are not known as "The Defenders" in SM34-35 (they're actually called the titans three), those are usually referred to as the prelude to Defenders books, And Im sure that Roy Thomas would agree (thumbs u

Just thought I'd mention it here since this book doesnt get much discussion here and it should

Yes, you righteously say that these have been "usually referred to as the prelude to Defenders books" for years, but while #34-35 have always been acknowledged as being a "prelude" because you have the Silver Surfer meeting them, if you read – or re-read – the three I mentioned you will see why they are of exceptional importance to how the idea came about, and also the first time Strange meets both with the Hulk and Sub-Mariner.

The Undying Ones storyline also introduces foes which would have been a center staple to the early Defenders events, as in Hulk #126 you have the first appearance of Barbara Norriss, still dealing with the cultists with his husband. She later would have lost her mind if she did not became an incarnation for the Valkyrie.

It is not a chance that when Englehart starts with Defenders #1 it’s the Undying Ones that he chooses as the foes. The story of Sub-Mariner #34-35 is more for completists, but not even barely important as the three-part introductory story I mentioned. Everyone can realize that by reading or re-reading it. :)

Why Defenders 1, and not Marvel Feature 1 Sub Mariner #34?

FTFY

Ahhhh cool... Even better;)

Sub-Mariner #34-35 have very little relevance as far as the team idea goes. The true storyline which sets the basis for the series is Dr. Strange #183, Hulk #126 and Sub-Mariner #22, a three-part story where they met for the first time (Dr. Strange is not even there in Sub-Mariner #34-35).

BTW, Defenders #1 is not common in grade compared to the more costly Marvel Feature #1.

While its true that they are not known as "The Defenders" in SM34-35 (they're actually called the titans three), those are usually referred to as the prelude to Defenders books, And Im sure that Roy Thomas would agree (thumbs u

Just thought I'd mention it here since this book doesnt get much discussion here and it should

Yes, you righteously say that these have been "usually referred to as the prelude to Defenders books" for years, but while #34-35 have always been acknowledged as being a "prelude" because you have the Silver Surfer meeting them, if you read – or re-read – the three I mentioned you will see why they are of exceptional importance to how the idea came about, and also the first time Strange meets both with the Hulk and Sub-Mariner.

The Undying Ones storyline also introduces foes which would have been a center staple to the early Defenders events, as in Hulk #126 you have the first appearance of Barbara Norriss, still dealing with the cultists with his husband. She later would have lost her mind if she did not became an incarnation for the Valkyrie.

It is not a chance that when Englehart starts with Defenders #1 it’s the Undying Ones that he chooses as the foes. The story of Sub-Mariner #34-35 is more for completists, but not even barely important as the three-part introductory story I mentioned. Everyone can realize that by reading or re-reading it. :)

I appreciate your Defenders history tracking, but according to the market and Marvel, SubMariner 34-35 is a "little" more than just a completist novelty.. Certainly more important than those 3 books youve mentioned according to the industry standard, but dont take it from me..

1354457-defenders.jpg

I guess it’s just a settled tradition. Roy Thomas, when talking, always spoke of both and if you read the stories you will see what I mean.

I did not mean they were a "novelty", but as far as the story goes, the ones I mentioned are more important, even if the collecting have always favored #34-35. :)

Have you ever actually read them?

I guess it’s just a settled tradition. Roy Thomas, when talking, always spoke of both and if you read the stories you will see what I mean.

I did not mean they were a "novelty", but as far as the story goes, the ones I mentioned are more important, even if the collecting have always favored #34-35. :)

Have you ever actually read them?

What does that have to do with anything.. Im not trying to make it personal. This is not according to me.. I would probably have ignored this all back and forth if it wasnt for the way you worded it.. Sub-Mariner #34-35 is more for completists, but not even barely important as the three-part introductory story I mentioned

According to who? You?

I pulled a Star Wars #4 35 cent variant out of a dealer's box earlier this year....for $1. It was the first and only 35 center I've found in the wild. I almost flipped past it, too, but my brain stem screamed at me "STOP, YOU FOOL!!! LOOK AGAIN!!"

-------------

wow, you are picky, unless it was a wreck i would have bought it regardless. at some point, despite the huge numbers of the regular issue out there, these are all going to pop in all grades. i pass on the reprints i guess.

I pulled a Star Wars #4 35 cent variant out of a dealer's box earlier this year....for $1. It was the first and only 35 center I've found in the wild. I almost flipped past it, too, but my brain stem screamed at me "STOP, YOU FOOL!!! LOOK AGAIN!!"

-------------

wow, you are picky, unless it was a wreck i would have bought it regardless. at some point, despite the huge numbers of the regular issue out there, these are all going to pop in all grades. i pass on the reprints i guess.

You've misunderstood. I almost flipped past it because I didn't register that it was a 35 cent variant.

It wouldn't have mattered if it was a Fair, with detached cover, I would have bought it. But, I had other things on my mind, and it was like "ok, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6WHOAWAITAMINUTELOOKAT#4AGAINISTHATA35CENTVARIANTOMGYESITIS!!!"

And that was on Friday near close of day, after people had been looking through it all day Thursday and Friday.

Blob, usually the common ones are in the earlier issues. They start getting tough to find around issue 9 and up to 22.

So I should feel lucky that I have a DCCP #12 Whitman variant? I also have two #2s and a #3. The Action Comics, Brave and Bold, Superboy and Superman Whitman variants have been the easiest for me to find so far.

35 years in this hobby and this is the first I have ever heard that there were rare Whitman versions of DC Comics Presents that sell at a premium.

It's amazing how much there is to know in this field.

Not just DC Comics Presents. Warlord 22, Sgt Rock 329, Legion of Superheroes 264, Batman 324, Superman 348, New Adventures of Superboy 6, Justice League of America 179, Action Comics 508 and Flash 286. All tough to find and often sell way over guide

35 years in this hobby and this is the first I have ever heard that there were rare Whitman versions of DC Comics Presents that sell at a premium.

It's amazing how much there is to know in this field.

True. Which is why it is prudent to rely on the "collective" intelligence of these boards. ;)

I too would love to talk to someone who worked there. I posted online ads looking to speak to people who worked at the Canadian publisher and received no bites. It's weird as the packs that came out of the states were in sets of three while they came in sets of two in Canada. I'd say some of those DC Whitmans are as hard to locate as the 75 cent Canadian Whitman Variants.

As for a list of the DC Whitmans http://web.archive.org/web/20131210085545/http://stlcomics.com/checklists/whitman

For the 8-12/80 rare Whitmans, check out Doug sulipa's site. It's not the most user friendly but there is a ton of info there. He also identifies all the Canadian Whitman Price Variants from 1984 except one: Winnie the Pooh 32 ( it exists as I've found about 5 copies)

Wait - STLcomics site is gone? That was my go-to spot for Whitman info. doh!

I love the series, but especially the first story arc has not much to do with Wakanda and whatever setting they could conceive for the film as closely related to T'Challa.

In fact, the initial storyline, IIRC, has him traveling through time and space thanks to the King Solomon's frog artifact.

I loved the following storylines, the Vibranium poisoning and Kiber the Cruel ones, a lot better. :)