• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141750061246&globalID=EBAY-US

Amy guesses as to whether it will sell and for how much?

A little thick on the hype...and how do they know only 5 exist?

Accounted for is not the same thing as exists.

I think there were 5 copies that had been acknowledged in public, until I posted mine (the 6th) here on the boards in June.

This book is very closely tracked, because it's believed to be so scarce... However, RMA is right. I'm sure there are some others tucked quietly into collections, and probably more sitting unrecognized out there. I found mine quite inexpensively at the 2nd day of a fair-sized con, where it was obviously bypassed by many, many people before I saw it and recognized it for what it was.

Still, I'd say this by far the rarest Whitman. Easily the rarest of the DCs, and probably also rarer than any of the 8-12/80 pre-pack issues.

Blob, usually the common ones are in the earlier issues. They start getting tough to find around issue 9 and up to 22.

Here's a #9 I found tucked away in a mid-grade collection:

wToVOo.jpg

Blob, usually the common ones are in the earlier issues. They start getting tough to find around issue 9 and up to 22.

#10 (with Sgt. Rock) seems to commanding quite a premium over the others more recently, with the exception of #22.

Why Defenders 1, and not Marvel Feature 1 Sub Mariner #34?

FTFY

Ahhhh cool... Even better;)

Sub-Mariner #34-35 have very little relevance as far as the team idea goes. The true storyline which sets the basis for the series is Dr. Strange #183, Hulk #126 and Sub-Mariner #22, a three-part story where they met for the first time (Dr. Strange is not even there in Sub-Mariner #34-35).

BTW, Defenders #1 is not common in grade compared to the more costly Marvel Feature #1.

is there a master list of the HTF/rare whitmans anywhere?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141750061246&globalID=EBAY-US

I think there were 5 copies that had been acknowledged in public, until I posted mine (the 6th) here on the boards in June.

This book is very closely tracked, because it's believed to be so scarce... However, RMA is right. I'm sure there are some others tucked quietly into collections, and probably more sitting unrecognized out there. I found mine quite inexpensively at the 2nd day of a fair-sized con, where it was obviously bypassed by many, many people before I saw it and recognized it for what it was.

Still, I'd say this by far the rarest Whitman. Easily the rarest of the DCs, and probably also rarer than any of the 8-12/80 pre-pack issues.

Yes, it's a very, very rare issue....but, much like the harder to find pre-packs, if the broader collecting public becomes aware of it, more copies will surface. That's the good thing about this kind of "offer": it makes people stop and say "it's worth HOW much?" (even if it really isn't.)

There are more out there, sitting in boxes, waiting for someone to come along and recognize it. I pulled a Star Wars #4 35 cent variant out of a dealer's box earlier this year....for $1. It was the first and only 35 center I've found in the wild. I almost flipped past it, too, but my brain stem screamed at me "STOP, YOU FOOL!!! LOOK AGAIN!!"

There is so much I'd like to ask someone who worked at Whitman during these years, but I fear that may never be.

FTFY

Sub-Mariner #34-35 have very little relevance as far as the team idea goes. The true storyline which sets the basis for the series is Dr. Strange #183, Hulk #126 and Sub-Mariner #22, a three-part story where they met for the first time (Dr. Strange is not even there in Sub-Mariner #34-35).

BTW, Defenders #1 is not common in grade compared to the more costly Marvel Feature #1.

I upgraded my rag Defenders 1 to a raw VF- last year, and I'll be content with that.

There are more out there, sitting in boxes, waiting for someone to come along and recognize it. I pulled a Star Wars #4 35 cent variant out of a dealer's box earlier this year....for $1. It was the first and only 35 center I've found in the wild. I almost flipped past it, too, but my brain stem screamed at me "STOP, YOU FOOL!!! LOOK AGAIN!!"

It's hard to believe there are still Star Wars $0.35 variants that haven't been found. There are so many of them out there already. They are definitely not rare books. Any given week, you can probably put together a set if you have the money. Not rare, just expensive.

Great find by the way.

I too would love to talk to someone who worked there. I posted online ads looking to speak to people who worked at the Canadian publisher and received no bites. It's weird as the packs that came out of the states were in sets of three while they came in sets of two in Canada. I'd say some of those DC Whitmans are as hard to locate as the 75 cent Canadian Whitman Variants.

As for a list of the DC Whitmans http://web.archive.org/web/20131210085545/http://stlcomics.com/checklists/whitman

For the 8-12/80 rare Whitmans, check out Doug sulipa's site. It's not the most user friendly but there is a ton of info there. He also identifies all the Canadian Whitman Price Variants from 1984 except one: Winnie the Pooh 32 ( it exists as I've found about 5 copies)

There are all SORTS of lovely, niche fields of rare items in the otherwise sea of common material that is the 70's, 80's, and 90's in comics...and you don't even have to go to the Undergrounds to do it. If one wants to enjoy the thrill of the hunt, one doesn't have to restrict themselves to just scarce Gold/early Silver material.

:cloud9:

Count me in for the 7th copy. Picked mine up in a larger collection about a year ago, lower grade though.

FTFY

While its true that they are not known as "The Defenders" in SM34-35 (they're actually called the titans three), those are usually referred to as the prelude to Defenders books, And Im sure that Roy Thomas would agree (thumbs u

Just thought I'd mention it here since this book doesnt get much discussion here and it should

Count me in for the 7th copy. Picked mine up in a larger collection about a year ago, lower grade though.

If this keeps up we'll be at 10 copies next week . . . ;)