• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

Oh I know Sean :thumbsup:

I'm still 100% on 9.8's for WD books too...never had one come back a 9.6 yet :cloud9:

In Chicago last year I did screw up on a regular copper on site submission of 100 books. Only 96 came back 9.8's, the other two were 9.6's and the other two were 9.9's. :sorry:

Jim

How embarrassing for you.

haha

why is the man who laughs l getting all the love right now? ive got a ss 9.8 brubaker. should i sell?

No special heat right now. Man Who Laughs has been a $25-$50 book for years now. The time to sell was a few years ago, before the hardcover reprint came out.

why is the man who laughs l getting all the love right now? ive got a ss 9.8 brubaker. should i sell?

No special heat right now. Man Who Laughs has been a $25-$50 book for years now. The time to sell was a few years ago, before the hardcover reprint came out.

If you look, the book received one bid. Not exactly "heating" up.

I sold a copy of Man Who Laughs for $60 and some change several years ago, so if anything, to me it looks like the price has gone down. But as was noted by Socktopi, this has been a pretty solid book for a long while now, and is not suddenly any "hotter" than it has been.

This is exactly right. JJ and I bought 6 or 8 copies for a signing with Doug Mahnke back in '08 or '09, right before the Hardback got released, I think we paid $30-40 a piece and it was a good deal for 9.8 copies.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=8854&GSub=628

So what's your definition of "heating up" in reference to number of bids? Does a particular book have to have at least 10 bids? Isn't the sales price more relative than the number of bids?

To me a trend of increasing sales price or alot of bids from different

buyers tells me a book is hot. both can be skewed

Which is why I want a pattern. Also i use certain sellers who i

Know dont shill as well for my data.

I think price should be the prevailing factor. Who cars if 4 different auctions all sold at higher highs with just 1 bid if they're all legitimate (real buyer, real seller). Some people just buy that way.

I think price should be the prevailing factor. Who cars if 4 different auctions all sold at higher highs with just 1 bid if they're all legitimate (real buyer, real seller). Some people just buy that way.

I agree... here are two scenarios:

Book A

Sells for $40 with one bid

Book B

Sells for $33 with 18 bids, 15 of those bids are under $15.

If they're the same book (and the book normally sells for $40), then the second one is actually "cooler" than the first... but if you count the number of bids, it's supposedly "heating up".

Price is all that matters... unless you ALSO want to count how many different (legitimate) bidders went ABOVE the previous average.

In that case, it's price times bids above the average that could mean "heating up".

A bunch of bids well below the market average are meaningless.

For these two scenarios... if the book has been averaging $40, then the $40 sale is normal and the $33 sale with 18 bids is a drop.

More relevant to this thread, the book is from two thousand :censored: five . Not Copper or even the post-Copper (90s) range that is commonly discussed in this section.

Book A

Book B

If they're the same book (and the book normally sells for $40), then the second one is actually "cooler" than the first... but if you count the number of bids, it's supposedly "heating up".

Price is all that matters... unless you ALSO want to count how many different (legitimate) bidders went ABOVE the previous average.

In that case, it's price times bids above the average that could mean "heating up".

For these two scenarios... if the book has been averaging $40, then the $40 sale is normal and the $33 sale with 18 bids is a drop.

I am not going to disagree with either scenaries listed above. They are both accurate. I am going to assume you are both smart enough to figure that out that both would have been investigated and ruled out if they appeared.

I used a generalization above and it has worked for years for me. You guys are entitled to use whatever strategy you want. Most of the time I am a BIN guy and not an auction guy as well. Again I look for a pattern price does factor into my decision, but I am also looking for activity from bidders as well.

And no I don't care if I see a lot of bids for a smaller amount if its from a lot of bidders. It just tells me no one is wanting to pay a lot yet, but may later. Again this just helps the guess work. I must be doing something write because I have doing this for awhile and still enjoy it.

The tougher part I think is also devining whether the seller is shilling a book, pumping up a book here, or trying to create a demand for a book that just isn't there. I think slab sellers have more problems with this then I do, but I see it periodically none the less. Modern sellers all deny this happens or its the other guy that does it, but the truth is its much more prevalent then we would all like to admit.

Edited by Fastballspecial

More relevant to this thread, the book is from two thousand :censored: five . Not Copper or even the post-Copper (90s) range that is commonly discussed in this section.

I wonder what word you're censoring there...

hm

I'm going with "pooping."

I'm not big into buying duplicates of a book.

But this is a book that I'd buy over and over.

Killer cover, cool format, and nice story.

Many moon ago, I walked into a story and randomly looked. Five 9.8 copies were shining their faces at me.

Patrick

Book A

Book B

I am not going to disagree with either scenaries listed above. They are both accurate. I am going to assume you are both smart enough to figure that out that both would have been investigated and ruled out if they appeared.

I used a generalization above and it has worked for years for me. You guys are entitled to use whatever strategy you want. Most of the time I am a BIN guy and not an auction guy as well. Again I look for a pattern price does factor into my decision, but I am also looking for activity from bidders as well.

And no I don't care if I see a lot of bids for a smaller amount if its from a lot of bidders. It just tells me no one is wanting to pay a lot yet, but may later. Again this just helps the guess work. I must be doing something write because I have doing this for awhile and still enjoy it.

The tougher part I think is also devining whether the seller is shilling a book, pumping up a book here, or trying to create a demand for a book that just isn't there. I think slab sellers have more problems with this then I do, but I see it periodically none the less. Modern sellers all deny this happens or its the other guy that does it, but the truth is its much more prevalent then we would all like to admit.

I'll reiterate, price (again assuming the obvious these are legitimate transactions), is what's important.

How many times have people bid on items they were bidding on with no real desire to own the item? This happens a lot with big ticket items that start at .99 cents and the first few bidders want to be a part of the auction (for whatever reason), and there could be multiple bids changing hands among 'weak hands' that have no real part in the auctions.

Here's another scenario, I own a lot of 'market cap' (using Greg's analogy) of a book and want to maintain a floor in value, so I bid early and low to create appearance of interest, as well as doing something to protect the value of what I already own.

Both of these scenarios are legitimate bids (not shills), and would involve the purchase and shipping of had the sale conducted at their bids, but because they're intentionally low bids the chance of being 'putted' to the sale is very low.

Edited by spreads

maybe divad's version did well because it is the rare 1988 version printed 17 years before the book was actually published?

Edited by the blob

maybe divad's version did well because it is the rare 1988 version printed 17 years before the book was actually published?

You really gotta work on learning the quote function.

:ohnoez:

This is exactly right. JJ and I bought 6 or 8 copies for a signing with Doug Mahnke back in '08 or '09, right before the Hardback got released, I think we paid $30-40 a piece and it was a good deal for 9.8 copies.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=8854&GSub=628

So if they were real 9.8's, can we assume you didn't buy them from Divad?

Jim

You really gotta work on learning the quote function.

:ohnoez:

interesting. i quoted the whole thread, but at the end decided to cut your statement because it wasn't relevant to what I was responding to and the website re-jiggied everything to make it look like you had made the 2005 comment, etc. weird.