• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Just like NM 98 was supposed to be a $1000 book by now...

I just don't see how all this hype is going to sustain itself without some kind of collapse.

It won't. The thing that amazes me the most about this book is it isn't even the first appearance of the character(obviously she originated in the cartoon.)

yeah it is kind of amazing the way comic collectors brush aside non-comic appearances.

Tell me how to slab a cartoon episode, and I'll get right on it.

The animation cel for her first appearance would go for big bucks that's for sure. But it is true that her first appearance was not in a comic book.

Sort of like He-Man was a toy before DC Comics Presents 47 came out.

At least with DCP 47 the comic predates the show. I would rather own the first app. of Harley in continuity rather than the first comic book adaptation of the character, but that's just me. (and I do)

How about the comic book that came before BA 12?
Ahh, a cryptic post. Are you referring to the "Almost Got 'im" kids book? That discussion has been had. The ruling was, not a comic and did not come before BA 12, or at least no solid evidence to show I was first.

If you are referring to something else, I'm all ears :popcorn:

How about the comic book that came before BA 12?
Ahh, a cryptic post. Are you referring to the "Almost Got 'im" kids book? That discussion has been had. The ruling was, not a comic and did not come before BA 12, or at least no solid evidence to show I was first.

If you are referring to something else, I'm all ears :popcorn:

That's the book, it gave me a scare since I was holding on to two BA #12 9.8's at the time. lol

I just don't see how all this hype is going to sustain itself without some kind of collapse.

It won't. The thing that amazes me the most about this book is it isn't even the first appearance of the character(obviously she originated in the cartoon.)

yeah it is kind of amazing the way comic collectors brush aside non-comic appearances.

Don't be dense. (: It's not a question of slabbing. It's a question of valuation - as in a four figure price for a comic that did NOT introduce her to the world is silly.

I get that it's the first comic so it's what comic collectors will go for, but to me there is a significant difference between a first appearance of a character that starts in comics versus a "first comic appearance." The market disagrees with me and that's fine, but I can still think it's silly

Don't be dense. (: It's not a question of slabbing. It's a question of valuation - as in a four figure price for a comic that did NOT introduce her to the world is silly.

I get that it's the first comic so it's what comic collectors will go for, but to me there is a significant difference between a first appearance of a character that starts in comics versus a "first comic appearance." The market disagrees with me and that's fine, but I can still think it's silly

(: I think it's kinda silly that 32-page pamphlets of hand-drawn cartoons about fictional characters with super-powers attract any attention at all . . . (:

Yeah but some sales are sillier than others ;)

BA12 isn't horrible I understand the demand and like the book but IMO if we step back for a second, the character had roots elsewhere so BA12 is only so important

heheh

I actually like the book a lot. I just think that not enough consideration is made to the fact its a cartoon character more so than a comic character.

Its hard to come up with a great analogy, but the first appearance of Harry Potter in comics for example would be a totally "who cares" type book.

Now this is better than that because harley's since become an important batman character in comics beyond her cartoon appearances, but still. Its a first appearance that isn't. I'd happily pay, I dunno, 350 for a 9.8 but to add a grand to that to get a copy? Overvalued IMO.

:roflmao:

That was the funniest thing I read all day. Thanks for that! (thumbs u

(: I think it's kinda silly that 32-page pamphlets of hand-drawn cartoons about fictional characters with super-powers attract any attention at all . . . (:

And garners the type of arguments we seen on these boards concerning 1st appearances, cameos, etc. (thumbs u

It is entertaining though.

heheh

I actually like the book a lot. I just think that not enough consideration is made to the fact its a cartoon character more so than a comic character.

Its hard to come up with a great analogy, but the first appearance of Harry Potter in comics for example would be a totally "who cares" type book.

Now this is better than that because harley's since become an important batman character in comics beyond her cartoon appearances, but still. Its a first appearance that isn't. I'd happily pay, I dunno, 350 for a 9.8 but to add a grand to that to get a copy? Overvalued IMO.

^^

Does the first appearance of Master Chief in comics have any value? Does the first appearance of Tyrion have any value?

It's a cool book, I owned a copy and I love Harley(who doesn't.)

IMHO when a comic creates and introduces a character is a lot more important then when a comic book adapts a character who was created elsewhere. When a common book with an adaptation of a cartoon character goes for 4 figures, it is a little crazy to me. I wonder what percentage of fans don't realize she was created for Batman:TAS before BA12? hm

I understand what you are saying, but as someone who collects many licensed titles (Star Wars, Planet of the Apes, Star Trek, etc.), I don't find it that silly. I collect Star Wars comics. Marvel Star Wars 1 is just a comic based on a movie and shouldn't be worth more than the movie, correct? Except the comic come out 2-3 months before the movie. But then, I also know a book based on the movie predated the comic by about 3-4 months.

If you think about it, the first appearance of most (all?) modern characters is not even in comics, but in Previews, in a magazine article, or even in an online web article. Should those be worth more than the comic? (shrug) What is the going rate for an online web article that is the first appearance of a character?

I think it is silly that someone will spend big bucks on the 1st appearance of a character in a particular age (ages that collectors don't even agree on) or in a particular "universe". But then I think about what I collect and figure many people think I'm silly. At the end of the day, people like what they like. (shrug)

Why does it matter if a character first appeared somewhere else if the interest in the character is in comics? Strain was a book first, but the comic is where people are interested in that property. Harley was a character on a cartoon based on a character that appeared in comics first. So, it doesn't surprise me that comic collectors value her first appearance in comics. Jimmy Olsen, Kryptonite, etc. all had their first appearance outside of comics too!

Edited by rjrjr

heheh

^^

Does the first appearance of Master Chief in comics have any value? Does the first appearance of Tyrion have any value?

It's a cool book, I owned a copy and I love Harley(who doesn't.)

IMHO when a comic creates and introduces a character is a lot more important then when a comic book adapts a character who was created elsewhere. When a common book with an adaptation of a cartoon character goes for 4 figures, it is a little crazy to me. I wonder what percentage of fans don't realize she was created for Batman:TAS before BA12? hm

More important? Really? :facepalm:

In the last month, another 200 copies hit the census, 50 in 9.8, 70 in 9.6, and 40 in 9.4. You're probably not going to see that sort of increase in BA 12, as it wasn't even on most people's radar for speculation back then.

Why does it matter if a character first appeared somewhere else if the interest in the character is in comics? Strain was a book first, but the comic is where people are interested in that property. Harley was a character on a cartoon based on a character that appeared in comics first. So, it doesn't surprise me that comic collectors value her first appearance in comics. Jimmy Olsen, Kryptonite, etc. all had their first appearance outside of comics too!

I think this is the key thing as far as Harley goes. DC is free to do with her what they want, whereas there are going to be restrictions tied to licensed characters. Even though Disney now owns both Marvel and Star Wars, I doubt Marvel has free reign to do with the characters what they want, because the property is more valuable as a movie property. (Actually most valuable as merchandising, but why quibble.) That, and that people who read Star Wars comics probably would choose more live action stories in lieu of comics if they had the choice between them.