• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I still consider this one a CA book: :grin:

You would. :makepoint:

To me, Valiant, Image, Marvel #1's Trio, etc. exemplified the Modern/Speculator/Chromium era, and to leave them in Copper is patently insane. Pick up a book from the early-80's and one from 1992 and they are from two different worlds.

I don't disagree :baiting: But, until they "officially" make a new era, it's def not a "Modern" :grin:

I'm just saying that Valiant is definitely not Copper... which leaves...

It's pretty clear that Valiant fits squarely in a category of comics called "1990s comics" which leaves little to debate. :grin:

Copper-schmopper.

1990's comics = pyrite age (shrug)

Did you get that from me? I've been suggesting for years that would be a perfect name for the '90s. (For those not in the know, pyrite is more commonly referred to as "fool's gold"; although some of that foolishness is now starting to pay off)

Yeah Whet. There's no way you can say NM Annual 2's the market leader when there simply aren't enough Capt. Britain 8s on the market to make a decent comparison.

Here's a question, though. Is X-Men 256 thus the most important book to come out of the Acts of Vengeance storyline?

At the time it was clearly Cosmic Spidey, and in particular, ASM 328. But now? Is there any book from the run that's had more lasting influence?

#256 has got to be, doesn't it?

I can't think of any others.

I don't think anyone, but the people reading them as they were released, care about cosmic Spidey.

If #256 is a definitive first, then I'd say that Thor #411/412 (first New Warriors) is probably the long-term choice for clear runners-up.

My 2c

Valiant Unity/Image Comics began the Chromium Age of comics...

I'd consider pre-Unity Valiant the tale end of the Copper Age.

I'd say there's a typo in there, but it's true that story quality significantly dropped off industry-wide as companies tried to pump out as many titles as possible.

My 2c

Kinda what I was thinking also. :grin:

Copper has a defined, absolute end date.

November 18, 1992 at noon. That's when Superman 75 was on sale, the end of the Copper Age and the beginning of the Modern Age and rampant speculation. Pre-Unity Valiant = end Copper. Post Unity Valiant = not Copper.

You're welcome.

Although there was a Modern cameo of days to come in the 80s with Shooter's New Universe

Yeah Whet. There's no way you can say NM Annual 2's the market leader when there simply aren't enough Capt. Britain 8s on the market to make a decent comparison.

Here's a question, though. Is X-Men 256 thus the most important book to come out of the Acts of Vengeance storyline?

At the time it was clearly Cosmic Spidey, and in particular, ASM 328. But now? Is there any book from the run that's had more lasting influence?

Yeah, I was talking between the two mentioned earlier - New Mutants Annual #2 and X-Men #256. I didn't factor in Capt. Britain 8.

if people actually read the books they would see the HUGE difference in the two psylocke characters and would say WTF who is this BRIT chick, not even remotely close to the Asian Ninja version which we all know and love

I agree, but she is still the same character.

Same as Bucky and the Winter Soldier, Batgirl and Oracle, etc., etc.

I was never a fan of the original, but have always liked the ninja version.

The better comparison is Adam Warlock. What's the differences between FF #67 and Marvel Premiere #1? The market believes Marvel Premiere #1 is an important first appearance. Why than isn't X-Men #256 considered the same? It's some sort of nerd hypocrisy and I'm calling it out into the open. :insane:lol

I don't think anyone, but the people reading them as they were released, care about cosmic Spidey.

Nah, there's a bit. Spectacular Spidey #158 was pretty smokin' for a while, and it still is the single issue in that run that is usually missing from dealer stock. I'll happily take every copy anyone has off their hands.

+1 (thumbs u

Sell me your NM+ for a $1

My 2c

November 18, 1992 at noon. That's when Superman 75 was on sale, the end of the Copper Age and the beginning of the Modern Age and rampant speculation. Pre-Unity Valiant = end Copper. Post Unity Valiant = not Copper.

You're welcome.

Agreed.

My 2c

You're welcome.

This +1000

My 2c

You're welcome.

This +1000

I agree with the Superman 75 being the start of a new age and the end of the Copper.stuff.

If #256 is a definitive first, then I'd say that Thor #411/412 (first New Warriors) is probably the long-term choice for clear runners-up.

Yep, forgot about the Thors. I read the heck out of those.

November 18, 1992 at noon. That's when Superman 75 was on sale, the end of the Copper Age and the beginning of the Modern Age and rampant speculation.

Where were you when the multi-cover Spider-man #1, X-Men #1 and X-Force #1 (which include 2 of the top-selling comics of all time) specu-books were released? And before Unity, you can't be mis-remembering that there was no speculation or hype on Valiant? And Spawn 1 + the birth of Image were not important, or are those forgotten too?

When those three madhouse Marvel #1's were released, the comics market and hobby changed totally. It was like night and day, and the specu-sales confirm it. Sure, they're not as sexy to the ADHD crowd as The Death of Supes, but they started it all, along with Valiant and Image.

When Spider-man 1 came out, I literally walked into a guy coming out of the LCS with a few cases of the book in a trolley - I had never seen that before. And there was almost a fist-fight between nerds arguing over which cover would be worth more. doh! And it just got worse with X-Men 1 and X-Force 1, not to mention that people were mass-speculating on Valiant and there was a run-up on back issue prices prior to Unity - look it up. You seem to infer that Valiant was dead sales-wise pre-Unity, languishing in the bargain bins, and suddenly post-Unity, they exploded -simply not true.

All this other stuff is just hindsight, poor memory and trying to artificially shoehorn the end of the CA around a well-known culmination event like the Death of Superman. It's similar to the bizarre assertion that ASM 121 started the BA, or Secret Wars started the CA, rather than these being the culmination of an era.

I still consider this one a CA book: :grin:

You would. :makepoint:

To me, Valiant, Image, Marvel #1's Trio, etc. exemplified the Modern/Speculator/Chromium era, and to leave them in Copper is patently insane. Pick up a book from the early-80's and one from 1992 and they are from two different worlds.

I don't disagree :baiting: But, until they "officially" make a new era, it's def not a "Modern" :grin:

I'm just saying that Valiant is definitely not Copper... which leaves...

It's pretty clear that Valiant fits squarely in a category of comics called "1990s comics" which leaves little to debate. :grin:

Copper-schmopper.

1990's comics = pyrite age (shrug)

Did you get that from me? I've been suggesting for years that would be a perfect name for the '90s. (For those not in the know, pyrite is more commonly referred to as "fool's gold"; although some of that foolishness is now starting to pay off)

No, it just came to me in a flash of brilliance :insane:

Agreed about Spider Man/X-Men... I ditched the scene completely after X-Men #1.. It was all too much for me to stomach after Spiderman #1.. There were silver gold green, bagged unbagged, direct, newsstand, platinum, chromium, keepsake, schmeepsake... Every day they announced another variant.. This was 1990 folks.. It was unheard of at the time!

Personally, I started to lose interest in comics right after Punisher War Journal #1, or a few issues later.. Then Ghost Rider #1... These books were so hyped and everyone and their mother were banking on them.. By the time Spider Man #1 came out I already knew that we're pretty much set in a fooled market

I remember getting the newsletters from Mile High.. Chuck used to have a column where he will discuss his top speculation, in mid 80s it will be a page long with 5-6 titles.. By 1991 it was 5-6 pages long with tons and tons of Collectors this and Collectors that titles.. I got nauseated just glancing at it.. I never even made it to Superman 75

I actually used this same character/issue to argue the importance of Marvel Premiere #1. Uncanny #256 introduces the most popular and recognizable version of Psylocke. The character is literally in another body, and it's not just a costume change.

if people actually read the books they would see the HUGE difference in the two psylocke characters and would say WTF who is this BRIT chick, not even remotely close to the Asian Ninja version which we all know and love

I agree, but she is still the same character.

Same as Bucky and the Winter Soldier, Batgirl and Oracle, etc., etc.

I was never a fan of the original, but have always liked the ninja version.

The better comparison is Adam Warlock. What's the differences between FF #67 and Marvel Premiere #1? The market believes Marvel Premiere #1 is an important first appearance. Why than isn't X-Men #256 considered the same? It's some sort of nerd hypocrisy and I'm calling it out into the open. :insane:lol

My 2c

You're welcome.

November 20th.

:D