• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

It's the same character, with the same name and the same powers.

#256 isn't Psylocke's first appearance any more than #260 is the first appearance of Colossus.

"I didn't care about the character before she became a hot ninja" is not sufficient grounds for claiming this to be a first appearance.

2c

:facepalm:

From Marvel's website:

Psylocke's original powers were precognition, telepathy, mental bolts, mind control, and generating illusions. After Roma resurrected her, Betsy was briefly invisible to all mechanical detection devices. She could generate a "psychic knife" to stun or kill opponents. The Crimson Dawn gave her the power to travel via shadows, and to become virtually invisible in same. After swapping powers with Jean Grey, Betsy could create force fields, move objects with her mind, and generate energy blades.

So even Marvel know's there were vast changes made to the character from when she was introduced as a blonde British lady to becoming an Asian spy.

If we're just going to throw random facepalms at people, then please, allow me to give your rebuttal a few of these:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

In the section you quote, the "new powers" include:

1) a temporary ability to be undetectable to machines, which happened in #227 before she entered the Siege Perilous, and ended when she entered it, so that is moot

2) teleportation powers from The Crimson Dawn, which didn't even first appear until #330

3) and powers she gained by swapping abilities with Jean Grey, which has nothing to do with going through the Siege Perilous and again happened much later

So do all the issues where she gains these three other sets of powers also represent the debuts of entirely new characters?

The only supposed "new power" she gained with #256 was the psychic knife -- which wasn't a new power at all, but simply a focused manifestation of her telepathy/mental bolts, which she could already do.

The fact that she looked Asian and had a new costume, I mean, so what? Just because the graphic redesign was successful in making the character more popular does not make it her first appearance.

Really??? :facepalm:

The overhaul on Psylocke was so massive, it's almost like an entirely new character.

I remember in the 90s kids saying "Who's the broad with the cloak?" regarding books pre-256.

+1

#256 isn't Psylocke's first appearance any more than #260 is the first appearance of Colossus.

"I didn't care about the character before she became a hot ninja" is not sufficient grounds for claiming this to be a first appearance.

2c

Sorry this comparison isn't remotely close.

2c

From Marvel's website:

Psylocke's original powers were precognition, telepathy, mental bolts, mind control, and generating illusions. After Roma resurrected her, Betsy was briefly invisible to all mechanical detection devices. She could generate a "psychic knife" to stun or kill opponents. The Crimson Dawn gave her the power to travel via shadows, and to become virtually invisible in same. After swapping powers with Jean Grey, Betsy could create force fields, move objects with her mind, and generate energy blades.

So even Marvel know's there were vast changes made to the character from when she was introduced as a blonde British lady to becoming an Asian spy.

If we're just going to throw random facepalms at people, then please, allow me to give your rebuttal a few of these:

1) a temporary ability to be undetectable to machines, which happened in #227 before she entered the Siege Perilous, and ended when she entered it, so that is moot

2) teleportation powers from The Crimson Dawn, which didn't even first appear until #330

3) and powers she gained by swapping abilities with Jean Grey, which has nothing to do with going through the Siege Perilous and again happened much later

So do all the issues where she gains these three other sets of powers also represent the debuts of entirely new characters?

The only supposed "new power" she gained with #256 was the psychic knife -- which wasn't a new power at all, but simply a focused manifestation of her telepathy/mental bolts, which she could already do.

The fact that she looked Asian and had a new costume, I mean, so what? Just because the graphic redesign was successful in making the character more popular does not make it her first appearance.

Take that! (Great post) (thumbs u

Not a fan of Olivia Munn as an "actress", and I'm not sure how (if or why) her casting (in a most likely limited-appearance role, like Bishop in DofFP) would affect the prices of Psylocke books. If Wolverine isn't (yet again) the main mutant star of the next movie, I don't see how Cable isn't.

Any significant movement on prices for NM 87 yet ? That would seem inevitable IMO.

-J.

Not a fan of Olivia Munn as an "actress", and I'm not sure how (if or why) her casting (in a most likely limited-appearance role, like Bishop in DofFP) would affect the prices of Psylocke books. If Wolverine isn't (yet again) the main mutant star of the next movie, I don't see how Cable isn't.

Any significant movement on prices for NM 87 yet ? That would seem inevitable IMO.

-J.

Love that book!

Sorry, I was misinformed, and rechecked, she was designated Psylocke in NM Annual #2. So I was wrong about her 1st name and joining the X-Men in Uncanny #213.

But she did join X-Men in #213, at least according to the wikia. (shrug)

The overhaul on Psylocke was so massive, it's almost like an entirely new character.

I remember in the 90s kids saying "Who's the broad with the cloak?" regarding books pre-256.

what kids in the 90's were saying 'broad'?

lol. Dame?

2c

From Marvel's website:

The psychic knife is her trademark look/weapon. It's as important to the Psylocke's character as Wolverine's Claws are to his character.

Just so were clear - a new role defining power, a change in her ethnicity, a new costume AND changing her profession from model to assassin isn't a new character?

What's a character have to do around here to get the 1st appearance notification? Just get a Bejeweled gem in his forehead and change his name? Is that all?

I call BS on that.

background.jpg

Edited by whetteon

2c

From Marvel's website:

The psychic knife is her trademark look/weapon. It's as important to the Psylocke's character as Wolverine's Claws are to his character.

Just so were clear - a new role defining power, a change in her ethnicity, a new costume AND changing her profession from model to assassin isn't a new character?

What's a character have to do around here to get the 1st appearance notification? Just get a Bejeweled gem in his forehead and change his name? Is that all?

I call BS on that.

background.jpg

I would say "appear for the first time."