• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

It is really the first depiction of said character?

No.

Previews are not comics and that's about all that needs to be said.

That wasn't my point at all. Context brother, context.

I have never argued for books like this ( previews ads etc. ) being considered first appearances, to me, a character has to be in an original comic book story for that designation.

The entire point of my post ( reply to ween ) was that even though they ( previews/ads) are cool to some people, and there is a niche market for people wanting/collecting them, even that niche market tends to only want the first " depiction" or first " preview" of said character.

My point was, its hard to track down and research what actually WAS the first preview/ad/depiction of any character. Once you think you have the earliest one, someone else finds something dated earlier. One has to remember that before the internet, all comic news was on paper. There were dozens of " preview" books in the 80's. Which is why I find it hard to get on board with designating any Preview book as THE one to have.

Case in point

Darkhawk:

Marvel age 97? It was, now its not... now its:

Marvel Requirer # 11 Are we sure? This is currently THE Darkhawk preview to own if that's what you are into,. but will it change? That's what I dislike about previews.

If none of this matters to you because they are not "comics" that is up to you. Pretending this niche market doesn't exist is a disservice to yourself and everyone in the community in which you interact with however.

Oh and P.S.

How many of you would love to own Gobbledygook # 1? Why? Its just a stupid ad right? Lets not be hypocrites.

/\/\/\

What's most interesting to me about that is that I would love to own a Gobbledygook, but don't really care about any of the others. Don't get me wrong, I own (and am selling) Marvel Age 97, because I found it cheap. I would definitely by a DC Spotlight if I found one for $5 too, but I wouldn't spend $100 on that type of book.

Yeah -- big difference between Gobbledygook 1-2 & the Marvel Age, Image previews, etc.

It's one of scale. a) The print run on the Gobbledygooks was absurdly low; and b) the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were one of the most important things to happen to comics in the last 40 years (can't believe they're older than 30 now).

I like the Youngbood "preview" (aka ad) in Megaton as well, but straight advertisements/previews in in-house comics don't do it for me -- not even if it's a preview of something like Chew in Walking Dead or the various Preacher previews prior to # 1.

That's just me.

That said, I could see someone surprising the market with a full CGC 9.8 run of Marvel Age or Dark Horse Insider a decade from now. _That_ would be hilarious & could make the market as a whole for these books.

Looks like Infinity Gauntlet #1 is picking up again…I wonder if there is any connection to Avengers: Age of Ultron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-INFINITY-GAUNTLET-1-CGC-9-8-JIM-STARLIN-GEORGE-PEREZ-THANOS-AVENGERS-/321727488332?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae873e14c

hm

That is a low end sale...9.8's have been selling for at least $200 via BIN's for the past year, IIRC.

I doubt there is direct any connection to the Age of Ultron, but I would not be surprised to see a Thanos/Infinity Gauntlet tie-in teaser of some sort, after the credits finish....

Marvel pulled the same sorta segue with the end scene, after Thor and and GOTG.

They know how to sell movies, gotta give 'em that...consequently, speculators go batshiiiit crazy on possible tie in movie keys.Not sure if this is good for the hobby in the long term, though.

No.

Can't wait for Vince to respond to this point alone, never mind the rest . . . lol

...but I would not be surprised to see a Thanos/Infinity Gauntlet tie-in teaser of some sort, after the credits finish.

*ahem*

219111389_hitnail_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

Have you seen it yet, or are you going by gossip. I'll be seeing it Tuesday. I was talking with my sister today, who has already seen it, and apparently

they divert quite a bit from established canon of the comics in a few areas. I know, not really telling anything specifically, but some people prefer to know nothing going in, thus, spoilers.

TV related?

Suicide Squad movie.

For :censored: sake, at this rate the question will be which 2nd tier villain or hero from the DCU is not in the Suicide Squad movie instead of which ones are in it.........

I predict we're going to see quite a few deaths. Perhaps we'll get an Indiana Jones-style opening with a largely unrelated adventure where pretty much the entire team is wiped out.

If that is how it goes down, I wonder which will be more entertaining to see - the actual sequence in the movie or the speed at which speculators will have to dump the characters' 1st appearances after they die? lol

(thumbs u ... Thanks David, just sold another privately but still have 2 left. Book is definitely in demand. Hope I can find more. BTW... thanks to all for their contributions in the various "heating up" threads. I read regularly and find the info extremely helpful.

:headbang:

(thumbs u ... Thanks David, just sold another privately but still have 2 left. Book is definitely in demand. Hope I can find more. BTW... thanks to all for their contributions in the various "heating up" threads. I read regularly and find the info extremely helpful.

AHEM...

:taptaptap:

AHEM...

:taptaptap:

Ok, ok... thanks Aweandlorder for the link. lol

Yeah -- big difference between Gobbledygook 1-2 & the Marvel Age, Image previews, etc.

It's one of scale. a) The print run on the Gobbledygooks was absurdly low; and b) the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were one of the most important things to happen to comics in the last 40 years (can't believe they're older than 30 now).

I like the Youngbood "preview" (aka ad) in Megaton as well, but straight advertisements/previews in in-house comics don't do it for me -- not even if it's a preview of something like Chew in Walking Dead or the various Preacher previews prior to # 1.

That's just me.

That said, I could see someone surprising the market with a full CGC 9.8 run of Marvel Age or Dark Horse Insider a decade from now. _That_ would be hilarious & could make the market as a whole for these books.

I understand what you are saying, but the print run, honestly, means nothing.

If they printed the same amount of gobbledygook # 1 as that DC spotlight, it would still be sought after and valuable. Id guess $50- $100 pretty steady if not much more.

And if you don't believe that, Deadworld # 10 with a Crow ad on the back cover ( exact same situation as gobbledygook # 1 ) is pulling these kind of numbers, and the Crow is nowhere near as popular as TMNT.

Deadworld 10 Ebay

It's alright if you want to call a certain book " different" or an " exception" .

I still call it hypocritical, and I don't use that word with any anger or hatred, just for what it means. You can't have it both ways. Well, you can, but then you are, by definition, being hypocritical. Either you recognize previews and ads or you don't. There is nothing different about them.

No.

Can't wait for Vince to respond to this point alone, never mind the rest . . . lol

Call me a glutton for punishment :insane:

This makes me glad I got mind when I did.

That's just me.

I understand what you are saying, but the print run, honestly, means nothing.

If they printed the same amount of gobbledygook # 1 as that DC spotlight, it would still be sought after and valuable. Id guess $50- $100 pretty steady if not much more.

And if you don't believe that, Deadworld # 10 with a Crow ad on the back cover ( exact same situation as gobbledygook # 1 ) is pulling these kind of numbers, and the Crow is nowhere near as popular as TMNT.

Deadworld 10 Ebay

It's alright if you want to call a certain book " different" or an " exception" .

I still call it hypocritical, and I don't use that word with any anger or hatred, just for what it means. You can't have it both ways. Well, you can, but then you are, by definition, being hypocritical. Either you recognize previews and ads or you don't. There is nothing different about them.

As an aside, can anyone tell me why there are two different covers to Deadworld # 10? Was there a second printing? I own both, but have never seen a second copy of the "alternate" cover: FWIW, both have the Crow ad on the back. (shrug)

As an aside, can anyone tell me why there are two different covers to Deadworld # 10? Was there a second printing? I own both, but have never seen a second copy of the "alternate" cover: FWIW, both have the Crow ad on the back. (shrug)

They are both first printings.

Vince Locke wanted to do more graphic covers on his Deadworld series.

After issues 2 and 3, which had extremely graphic covers, retailers requested less graphic covers because it was scaring their customers ( lol ) I guess its a turnoff when you walk into the comic store with your kids and see guts hanging out of a dead guy, and a severed head in that dead guys hand, on a comic cover, So Arrow started offering a " tame" cover and a " Gore" cover to appease everyone.

Vince Locke is a very talented penciler. I always find myself looking at his pages longer than most artists, there is so much detail.

They are both first printings.

Vince Locke wanted to do more graphic covers on his Deadworld series.

After issues 2 and 3, which had extremely graphic covers, retailers requested less graphic covers because it was scaring their customers ( lol ) I guess its a turnoff when you walk into the comic store with your kids and see guts hanging out of a dead guy, and a severed head in that dead guys hand, on a comic cover, So Arrow started offering a " tame" cover and a " Gore" cover to appease everyone.

Vince Locke is a very talented penciler. I always find myself looking at his pages longer than most artists, there is so much detail.

I've had several copies of DW #10 and none of them were the "tame" cover. Also, it's worth noting that it's the first Caliber comic, kinda key in its own right aside from the Crow ad