• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

It is really the first depiction of said character?

No.

Previews are not comics and that's about all that needs to be said.

That wasn't my point at all. Context brother, context.

Can't wait for Vince to respond to this point alone, never mind the rest . . . lol

Why bother, as he's splitting gnat sheit from pepper when he says, it's "the first depiction" and then gets all butthurt when no one agrees with him, stating later that "it's different than a first appearance".

He's like those sportscard guys in the 80's who would parade around pictures of some athlete in Sports Illustrated that pre-dated the rookie card, and then spouting how much it should be worth, blah, blah, blah.

I remember someone doing that with Bo Jackson, who was a well-known and well-publicized athlete well before he was drafted (Wayne Gretzky was a news item since he was a kid), screaming about how "Bo was in SI long before he got a sportscard/this should be worth more than his RC, etc." without understanding why no one else cared. lol

If you only collect COMICS or CARDS, who cares about a prior depiction in a magazine or preview newspaper. I know I don't, as they are totally different things.

Yeah -- big difference between Gobbledygook 1-2 & the Marvel Age, Image previews, etc.

I really don't understand why people are comparing a Preview newspaper like DC Spotlight with Gobbledygook 1, which is an actual comic book with actual stories and art inside by Eastman and Laird.

The fact that TMNT fans have grabbed onto Gobbledygook 1 due to its full-page ad has no impact on its viability as a real live comic book with stories and art.

It is really the first depiction of said character?

No.

Previews are not comics and that's about all that needs to be said.

That wasn't my point at all. Context brother, context.

Can't wait for Vince to respond to this point alone, never mind the rest . . . lol

Why bother, as he's splitting gnat sheit from pepper when he says, it's "the first depiction" and then gets all butthurt when no one agrees with him, stating later that "it's different than a first appearance".

He's like those sportscard guys in the 80's who would parade around pictures of some athlete in Sports Illustrated that pre-dated the rookie card, and then spouting how much it should be worth, blah, blah, blah.

I remember someone doing that with Bo Jackson, who was a well-known and well-publicized athlete well before he was drafted (Wayne Gretzky was a news item since he was a kid), screaming about how "Bo was in SI long before he got a sportscard/this should be worth more than his RC, etc." without understanding why no one else cared. lol

If you only collect COMICS or CARDS, who cares about a prior depiction in a magazine or preview newspaper. I know I don't, as they are totally different things.

You obviously didn't even read what I posted fully. If you did, you would realize I am more on your side of the fence about all of this. If you want to treat me like Ween who posts previews all over the place, that's fine. You are just being stubborn and lumping me were I don't belong.

I have had numerous conversations about previews/ads on these boards, and have never considered them first appearances. I did not go back and change my stance.

I called it the "first depiction", because it has to be called something, people are actively buying these things, and that's what they are looking for " first time in print or whatever" Stop making it look like I'm the leader of this movement, when all I was doing was making a comment. I actually said I find it hard to get on board ( aka accept ) this niche market. Guess you didn't read that far.

Go ahead, check my post history, you will see I'm more against previews/ads market than for it.

Here is one for you, from 2 months ago:

1st spawn ad

You are being an , just to be an . I suppose I should expect nothing less from you.

Yeah -- big difference between Gobbledygook 1-2 & the Marvel Age, Image previews, etc.

I really don't understand why people are comparing a Preview newspaper like DC Spotlight with Gobbledygook 1, which is an actual comic book with actual stories and art inside by Eastman and Laird.

The fact that TMNT fans have grabbed onto Gobbledygook 1 due to its full-page ad has no impact on its viability as a real live comic book with stories and art.

No debating that its a comic book with art and stories :screwy:

The debate is why anyone cares about it. The comparison is the ad/preview driving the demand, that's what the two books have in common. For me, the only reason people care about gobbledygook 1 is that TMNT ad. It has had a stigma of the being the first appearance ( it was called this in every single price guide for quite some time ) until the last decade or so. Its been counterfeited because of its value, and its low print run. People want it, because its been in the spotlight for decades for all those reasons.

If you increase the print run to 1,000+ copies its still a $100+ book ,if not more ,because of that ad.

Increase the print run to 1,000+ copies, but remove the ad, it becoms a comic ( no argument there ) that no one cares about.

Sort of like Fugitoid # 1 Nobody cares, even though its an extremely early Eastman & laird book. Why? No turtles, and no scarcity = $1 bin fodder.

Edited by Silverdream

To me, the Gobbledygook situation is a little different.

"There's a full page back cover advertisement for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Gobbledygook #1... and you can't own one."

...is far more of an impact than...

"There's a full cover of Darkhawk on Marvel Age #97 and it can be yours for about $5."

Gobbledygook #1 is a 1:60 ratio to an existing grail... TMNT #1.

If 1:50 owners of TMNT #1 want Gobbledygook #1... too bad. There aren't enough.

There are plenty of copies of these other advertisements (Marvel Age #97)... and if 1:50 owners of Darkhawk #1 want Marvel Age #97, it's not a problem.

But 49 out of 50 owners of Darkhawk #1 aren't going to be wetting themselves to buy an advertisement, no matter how loud the other guy is.

Books like Preacher Preview and Malibu Sun are valuable due to the ratio available vs the real thing.

Most collectors recognize the real book (Preacher #1, Spawn #1), but if there aren't enough copies available for the small percentage who want "more, earlier, ads, whatever", then those previews appear to be in demand.

They're in demand by a small group, but there isn't enough supply.

It's why people can't understand when XYZ sells for so much, when there are so few collectors who care about XYZ.

There just isn't enough XYZ for the (however small) demand.

To me, the Gobbledygook situation is a little different.

"There's a full page back cover advertisement for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Gobbledygook #1... and you can't own one."

...is far more of an impact than...

"There's a full cover of Darkhawk on Marvel Age #97 and it can be yours for about $5."

Gobbledygook #1 is a 1:60 ratio to an existing grail... TMNT #1.

If 1:50 owners of TMNT #1 want Gobbledygook #1... too bad. There aren't enough.

There are plenty of copies of these other advertisements (Marvel Age #97)... and if 1:50 owners of Darkhawk #1 want Marvel Age #97, it's not a problem.

But 49 out of 50 owners of Darkhawk #1 aren't going to be wetting themselves to buy an advertisement, no matter how loud the other guy is.

Books like Preacher Preview and Malibu Sun are valuable due to the ratio available vs the real thing.

Most collectors recognize the real book (Preacher #1, Spawn #1), but if there aren't enough copies available for the small percentage who want "more, earlier, ads, whatever", then those previews appear to be in demand.

They're in demand by a small group, but there isn't enough supply.

It's why people can't understand when XYZ sells for so much, when there are so few collectors who care about XYZ.

There just isn't enough XYZ for the (however small) demand.

Good post.

(thumbs u

Well, I love all of you guys (even Ween lol ), but an ad is an ad is an ad. I don't care about first depiction, first representation, first whatever. To me, if the character is not on the cover, the appearance is meaningless. It goes back as far as TTA 90 that has the first app of the Abomination - give me TTA 91 any day of the week. :sumo: (Unless of course, I have a bunch of copies of the "alleged 1st apps" for sale . . . ) :grin:

$_57.JPG

Well, I love all of you guys (even Ween lol ), but an ad is an ad is an ad. I don't care about first depiction, first representation, first whatever. To me, if the character is not on the cover, the appearance is meaningless.

One month apart seems easy to understand... TTA 90/91 or Hulk 180/181, but how far apart can those early appearances be that you would still prefer the first cover... three months? A year?

For example, what is the best General Zod appearance?

Well, I love all of you guys (even Ween lol ), but an ad is an ad is an ad. I don't care about first depiction, first representation, first whatever. To me, if the character is not on the cover, the appearance is meaningless.

One month apart seems easy to understand... TTA 90/91 or Hulk 180/181, but how far apart can those early appearances be that you would still prefer the first cover... three months? A year?

For example, what is the best General Zod appearance?

Very tough to determine indeed - you tell me. He doesn't look all that intimidating on the cover of Supergirl DC Giant #24. (shrug)

Well, I love all of you guys (even Ween lol ), but an ad is an ad is an ad. I don't care about first depiction, first representation, first whatever. To me, if the character is not on the cover, the appearance is meaningless. It goes back as far as TTA 90 that has the first app of the Abomination - give me TTA 91 any day of the week. :sumo: (Unless of course, I have a bunch of copies of the "alleged 1st apps" for sale . . . ) :grin:

So you're in the Eternal Warrior #5 crowd then, for Bloodshot?

Solar #11 for EW?

Solar #11 for EW?

No and No. lol:insane:

Solar #11 for EW?

I'm in the "whatever book people are paying the highest for his/her 1st appearance" crowd hahaa

As an aside, can anyone tell me why there are two different covers to Deadworld # 10? Was there a second printing? I own both, but have never seen a second copy of the "alternate" cover: FWIW, both have the Crow ad on the back. (shrug)

They are both first printings.

Vince Locke wanted to do more graphic covers on his Deadworld series.

After issues 2 and 3, which had extremely graphic covers, retailers requested less graphic covers because it was scaring their customers ( lol ) I guess its a turnoff when you walk into the comic store with your kids and see guts hanging out of a dead guy, and a severed head in that dead guys hand, on a comic cover, So Arrow started offering a " tame" cover and a " Gore" cover to appease everyone.

Vince Locke is a very talented penciler. I always find myself looking at his pages longer than most artists, there is so much detail.

I've had several copies of DW #10 and none of them were the "tame" cover. Also, it's worth noting that it's the first Caliber comic, kinda key in its own right aside from the Crow ad

That's good to know, thanks for the info. My copy of the "tame" cover is the only one I've come across; I wonder what the print run was on it to make it so scarce. And for the record, it's not really that tame. I'll be sure to post a picture of the two when I can get around to it.

Solar #11 for EW?

:gossip: Pretty sure EW's on the cover of Solar 10.

Solar #11 for EW?

:gossip: Pretty sure EW's on the cover of Solar 10.

He's just pictured in a very dark room I guess.