• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

With the current market madness, many sellers are determined to get "the best price" they can for their stuff...and, in most cases, they've been able to do it.

It's not until there's a flight from the market of large numbers of buyers, as happened in 1996-1999, that those selling will get desperate and stop sitting on what they have waiting around for a better offer.

I haven't been able to buy much at what I consider reasonable prices for a long time (5 years+), and, frankly, I haven't been able to justify what I want to pay, either. "If there's someone willing to pay more than me," the comment goes, "by all means, sell it to them."

Unfortunately for me as a buyer, in the last decade or so, there have been plenty of others willing to pay more than me.

Will that change? Probably. Will it change in the next 5 years? Possible, but not likely.

Small population, huge land mass and resources, pretty well educated, relatively low crime, government that functions without a lot of corruption, pretty good "productive citizen" to "leech" ratio... I think Canada will be just fine.

You're describing Canada about 20-25 years ago, and our immigration policies are significantly different now.

Everything is relative. Canada would likely be among the top 10 wealthiest states in the USA if it was one (or several) and I just don't see it having as many virtually unfixable (at least within the next 10-20 years) problems as we do.

I could definitely see this one getting some heat.

Daredevil_Vol_1_183.jpg

It started creeping up last week, now it's booming.

Of course!

I just sold my undercopy a couple weeks ago. :tonofbricks:

Win some, lose some.

Don't worry, I still have at least a dozen in my $1.00 bins (that's CDN, 80 cents to you) and nobody has pulled one out yet. If I stumble across one of them, you can have it for a buck.

Jim

Seems like a book you could stick a $5 tag on and it should sell if in nice shape even before it heated up. I thought the economy in Canada was booming and all this copper stuff was doing well?

Oh I'm sure I could, but books that sell for $5.00 I just stick in my dollar bins. The customer feels like they got a deal, and keep coming back time after time.

I currently have the largest inventory in a city with a population of 7,000,000 plus and and the business is in it's infancy, so I don't mind leaving a little money on the table in exchange for goodwill and word of mouth.

Jim

Oh I'm sure I could, but books that sell for $5.00 I just stick in my dollar bins. The customer feels like they got a deal, and keep coming back time after time.

I currently have the largest inventory in a city with a population of 7,000,000 plus and and the business is in it's infancy, so I don't mind leaving a little money on the table in exchange for goodwill and word of mouth.

Jim

well you're not in NYC, are you in Mexico City? I am not aware of another city in North America with more than 7 million people.

(I know, I know, the greater Toronto metropolitan area, I'm kidding you!)

Jim

well you're not in NYC, are you in Mexico City? I am not aware of another city in North America with more than 7 million people.

Does Toronto claim Buffalo, Niagara on the Lake, and Niagara Falls as their GMO?

I was shocked to hear Philly is considered a suburb of NYC.

Edited by Bronzed Jbone

Jim

Houston is up there. The metro area is close to the 7M mark.

Google says 6.2 as of 2014.

Jim

Houston is up there. The metro area is close to the 7M mark.

Google says 6.2 as of 2014.

:acclaim:

----------

I don't think anyone sane really considers that to be the case, but they do claim that Connecticut all the way up to Bridgeport and thereabouts as well (I've seen up to New Haven claimed, but that seems silly) as practically all of Northern New Jersey as part of the NY metropolitan area.

With the current market madness, many sellers are determined to get "the best price" they can for their stuff...and, in most cases, they've been able to do it.

It's not until there's a flight from the market of large numbers of buyers, as happened in 1996-1999, that those selling will get desperate and stop sitting on what they have waiting around for a better offer.

I haven't been able to buy much at what I consider reasonable prices for a long time (5 years+), and, frankly, I haven't been able to justify what I want to pay, either. "If there's someone willing to pay more than me," the comment goes, "by all means, sell it to them."

Unfortunately for me as a buyer, in the last decade or so, there have been plenty of others willing to pay more than me.

Will that change? Probably. Will it change in the next 5 years? Possible, but not likely.

You can still find great deals on multi-key buys and collections up here. The stores still pay 25-30% for collections, so even offering 40% is a big difference. It also helps that we are buying at a 20% discount rate thanks to the currently weak $CDN.

Small population, huge land mass and resources, pretty well educated, relatively low crime, government that functions without a lot of corruption, pretty good "productive citizen" to "leech" ratio... I think Canada will be just fine.

You're describing Canada about 20-25 years ago, and our immigration policies are significantly different now.

Everything is relative. Canada would likely be among the top 10 wealthiest states in the USA if it was one (or several) and I just don't see it having as many virtually unfixable (at least within the next 10-20 years) problems as we do.

Using University of New Mexico data for the states, and CIA data for Canada, and ranking by GDP per capita, Canada ranks behind 8 states and ahead of 42.

Canadian immigration policy is based on a "points" system with advanced education, English/French language capabilities, ability to invest, and youth favoured in the immigration process. The model has been promoted by presidential hopefuls in the past, including Governor Rick Perry, as a potential model for the United States.

Edit: Apparently, the adjective associated with being in favour of a republic is a forbidden word... I never knew.

Edited by Brock

Jim

Does Toronto claim Buffalo, Niagara on the Lake, and Niagara Falls as their GMO?

No, but you'd cringe if you heard economic development guru Richard Florida talk about "TorBuffchester" - and he's from New Jersey.

Canadian immigration policy is based on a "points" system with advanced education, English/French language capabilities, ability to invest, and youth favoured in the immigration process.

No, I am referring to the ENTIRE immigration policy, which includes refugee nations, family members, cheap unskilled labour, and the (very small) portion you outline above.

In 2001, 250,640 people immigrated to Canada, relative to a total population of 30,007,094 people per the 2001 Census. On a compounded basis, that immigration rate represents 8.7% population growth over 10 years, or 23.1% over 25 years (or 6.9 million people). Since 2001, immigration has ranged between 221,352 and 262,236 immigrants per annum.[1] The three main official reasons given for the level of immigration are:

A) The social component – Canada facilitates family reunification.

B) The humanitarian component – Relating to refugees.

C) The economic component – Attracting immigrants who will contribute economically and fill labour market needs (See related article, Economic impact of immigration to Canada).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Canada#Immigration_rate

Interesting fact: Canada's immigration policy (with its historically high rates of family unification) has actually *aged* our average population, rather than lowering it. Amazing.

Countries with resettlement programs resettle about 100,000 refugees from abroad each year. Of that number, Canada annually takes in roughly one out of every 10 refugees, through the government-assisted and privately sponsored refugee programs.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/canada.asp

One in ten! We're 1/10 your size, so you'd better be taking the rest.

That being said, most of the LCSs are devoid of accurately graded and priced key/hot books. It kind of sucks - I used to be able to walk into 4 or 5 stores, pick up the hot books for cover/just above cover in the back issue bins, and flip them for a nice profit. Now there is too much buying competition in the market - if you do not get there the same day a book pops it will be cleaned out. lol I hope that the slow down in the economy helps with that as well. lol lol

Are you kidding? If the local economy dips, everyone and their grandmother will be looking for things to scalp on eBay.

We will see, but last downturn there was a drop in people hitting stores for back issues due to less disposable income. I expect to see more collections surface, though, so I hope that the US economy stays strong if we have a prolonged downturn here as it will provide a viable market to sell books into and, most importantly, a weaker $CDN = nice exchange rate bonus.

I would expect there could be lots of buying opportunity in Alberta; that province has a staggering debt/income ratio at a time when Canada has the highest record amount. There will be less buyers to sell to though (locally), so you might be sitting on some stuff for longer periods of time...

To say that Canada's economy is 'rosy' is like comparing a bunch of world economies to pigs at that barn, and picking the one with the least amount of mess on it.

I'm not talking about generic statements you can find on wikipedia, I'm using socio-economic data pointing to the vulnerability in the housing market. There are several statistics that the Canadian landscape is perilously close to a market housing correction.

It may never materialize, but the disparity between the rents/mortgages which are currently at an all-time high since the index's been tracked, coupled with the fact housing cost as a percentage of net income is the highest it's ever been - leads to a very precarious situation. When 1/3rd of all mortgage owners would be experiencing severe distress on just a 100 basis point increase, we are anything but 'fine'.