• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I could definitely see this one getting some heat.

Daredevil_Vol_1_183.jpg

It started creeping up last week, now it's booming.

Of course!

I just sold my undercopy a couple weeks ago. :tonofbricks:

Win some, lose some.

Don't worry, I still have at least a dozen in my $1.00 bins (that's CDN, 80 cents to you) and nobody has pulled one out yet. If I stumble across one of them, you can have it for a buck.

Jim

Edited by Guardian Comics

I could definitely see this one getting some heat.

Daredevil_Vol_1_183.jpg

It started creeping up last week, now it's booming.

Of course!

I just sold my undercopy a couple weeks ago. :tonofbricks:

Win some, lose some.

Don't worry, I still have at least a dozen in my $1.00 bins (that's CDN, 80 cents to you) and nobody has pulled one out yet. If I stumble across one of them, you can have it for a buck.

Jim

Seems like a book you could stick a $5 tag on and it should sell if in nice shape even before it heated up. I thought the economy in Canada was booming and all this copper stuff was doing well?

Gas prices are up to $3 a gallon around me (yes, i know this is partially due to high gas taxes in NY), so things ought to be percolating soon.

anyway, if i saw those for $1 a pop I'd buy them all, heck any of the Miller DDs, even the later ones nobody cares about right now, assuming they aren't beat up

.. but the first appearance of every single throwaway character can't really be considered a key, or there would be more keys than non-keys.

Many "keys" are trivial and uninteresting. What people are doing now is fabricating keys, and hoping people swallow the hook. Dealers with stockpiles of junk are happy to oblige, and all the "experts" keep spouting "quality over quantity". What that means, in practical terms, is that a new kid who starts collecting should spend $10 on a Wolverine 80, instead of buying the 10 issues before or after and reading them, even if the only reason he should want it is a test tube marked X-23.

The kid should spend the $10 on the pile of comics he/she gets the biggest kick out of.

Seems like a book you could stick a $5 tag on and it should sell if in nice shape even before it heated up. I thought the economy in Canada was booming and all this copper stuff was doing well?

I think I sold my last couple of copies at $10 at shows last year.

The Copper market is still going strong out here, although I expect to see a downturn sooner or later due to the drop in oil prices. We had one longer time buyer sell off his collection at the Calgary Expo to another dealer for $28K. I expect to see more collections come available over the rest of the year.

That being said, most of the LCSs are devoid of accurately graded and priced key/hot books. It kind of sucks - I used to be able to walk into 4 or 5 stores, pick up the hot books for cover/just above cover in the back issue bins, and flip them for a nice profit. Now there is too much buying competition in the market - if you do not get there the same day a book pops it will be cleaned out. lol I hope that the slow down in the economy helps with that as well. lol lol

Edited by kimik

That being said, most of the LCSs are devoid of accurately graded and priced key/hot books. It kind of sucks - I used to be able to walk into 4 or 5 stores, pick up the hot books for cover/just above cover in the back issue bins, and flip them for a nice profit. Now there is too much buying competition in the market - if you do not get there the same day a book pops it will be cleaned out. lol I hope that the slow down in the economy helps with that as well. lol lol

Are you kidding? If the local economy dips, everyone and their grandmother will be looking for things to scalp on eBay.

Are you kidding? If the local economy dips, everyone and their grandmother will be looking for things to scalp on eBay.

We will see, but last downturn there was a drop in people hitting stores for back issues due to less disposable income. I expect to see more collections surface, though, so I hope that the US economy stays strong if we have a prolonged downturn here as it will provide a viable market to sell books into and, most importantly, a weaker $CDN = nice exchange rate bonus.

We will see, but last downturn there was a drop in people hitting stores for back issues due to less disposable income. I expect to see more collections surface, though, so I hope that the US economy stays strong if we have a prolonged downturn here as it will provide a viable market to sell books into and, most importantly, a weaker $CDN = nice exchange rate bonus.

I would expect there could be lots of buying opportunity in Alberta; that province has a staggering debt/income ratio at a time when Canada has the highest record amount. There will be less buyers to sell to though (locally), so you might be sitting on some stuff for longer periods of time...

To say that Canada's economy is 'rosy' is like comparing a bunch of world economies to pigs at that barn, and picking the one with the least amount of mess on it.

I would expect there could be lots of buying opportunity in Alberta; that province has a staggering debt/income ratio at a time when Canada has the highest record amount. There will be less buyers to sell to though (locally), so you might be sitting on some stuff for longer periods of time...

To say that Canada's economy is 'rosy' is like comparing a bunch of world economies to pigs at that barn, and picking the one with the least amount of mess on it.

Small population, huge land mass and resources, pretty well educated, relatively low crime, government that functions without a lot of corruption, pretty good "productive citizen" to "leech" ratio... I think Canada will be just fine.

Edited by the blob

Small population, huge land mass and resources, pretty well educated, relatively low crime, government that functions without a lot of corruption, pretty good "productive citizen" to "leech" ratio... I think Canada will be just fine.

You're describing Canada about 20-25 years ago, and our immigration policies are significantly different now.

While they're great books to have, there's no shortage of DD 183-184 in high grade, it was the end of the Miller run and people were putting away multiple copies at the time. A quick look at the census shows #183 with (blue label) 184 copies in 9.8 and 158 copies in 9.6. Issue #184 there's 294 in 9.8 and 198 in 9.8

It depends on the seller. With more material coming to the market you can be pickier with where you buy from. I have leads on a couple of collections I am going to pursue this summer where it appears that the owners want to sell the keys/bigger books first in order to preserve the rest of the collection. :banana: