• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Detective 583.......I know this book is the 1st app. of the Ventriliquist but why is it actually selling for $75 in raw 9.6?

he's rumored to be the next batman after jim gordon

At some point, a character that *hasn't* been Batman will be harder to find.

I've been Batman

I'm presently Batman. But give it a week. I'm lazy. My girlfriend will take over when I'm done.

I call dibs on Batman the week after. :whee:

Deal, but I get to be Wonder Woman's bedroom full-length mirror the week after that.

Detective 583.......I know this book is the 1st app. of the Ventriliquist but why is it actually selling for $75 in raw 9.6?

At some point, a character that *hasn't* been Batman will be harder to find.

I've been Batman

I'm presently Batman. But give it a week. I'm lazy. My girlfriend will take over when I'm done.

I hope your girlfriend's name is Gwen. :wishluck:

On top of being an absolutely killer cover by Mignola. :sumo:

Now this is a fkn post!

that's exactly what i thought when i looked it up (thumbs u

Batman standing on top of a statue, not exactly original, we've seen this type of cover a 1000 times, how is this a "killer cover?"

Batman standing on top of a statue, not exactly original, we've seen this type of cover a 1000 times, how is this a "killer cover?"

I agree, that cover never made sense to me either. Not hating, cause I love Mignola, but from a composition stand point, when you look at Bats, he's center stage in the cover, but the statue and other objects in the background (looks like he's in a cemetery yes?) are not straight, they are on an angle, and not just a slight angle.. extremely tilted... So you think, maybe Mignola drew it like that so you would have to tilt the cover to see it straight.. WRONG.. Look at the moon, that's also perfectly centered (shrug)

Once upon a time I had about 20 copies of Albedo 3 in VF+ to NM condition (nothing that would likely slab out to a 9.6 or 9.8 without at least a pressing) that I bought for 50 cents each that I sold here and on ebay for $15-$20 a pop, maybe some of the NMs going a little over $20.

While the market is not much different for the book right now, I suspect I will have my regrets in the future.

Oh, so many regrets.

DD 181 seems to be getting stronger sales than let's say 3 years ago. Not guide typically for raws, but a much better % of guide than a few years ago when nice copies were often selling for only $10 and I decided it was too much a risk to buy another 10 copies at $5 each from a shop (in addition to the 10-15 I had already bought)

I have said this before. Stan Sakai will sell the rights to Usagi Yojimbo, it is only a matter of time. Unfortunately, with the passing of his wife the odds are even better now. Hopefully he will sell to Nickelodeon so Usagi Yojimbo can join the TMNTs. :wishluck:

I would not be surprised if Nickelodeon is actively searching for its next property to purchase especailly with the success of TMNT.

I have said this before. Stan Sakai will sell the rights to Usagi Yojimbo, it is only a matter of time. Unfortunately, with the passing of his wife the odds are even better now. Hopefully he will sell to Nickelodeon so Usagi Yojimbo can join the TMNTs. :wishluck:

I would not be surprised if Nickelodeon is actively searching for its next property to purchase especailly with the success of TMNT.

Why do you think this?

Not so much heating up, but I am surprised at how blehhhh prices are on TNMT books other than the first few issues. Once you get into the teens - 30s (1989-90) were the print-runs on these astronomical or something? It's not like I trip over scads of them every time I hit a 50 cent box. Sure, they sell at a good clip, but at like $3-$5. those turtles are HUGE with the kiddie crowd nowadays, but I guess they are not buying back issues or coaxing their parents into buying them either and a 35 year old today is perhaps embarrassed that they were really psyched when the turtles got their cartoon and movies back in the 80s and 90s? OTOH, isn't the current turtles series doing ok with readers though?

of course, generic issues from the 1997 deadpool series other than the later ones tend to only sell for about $5 and deadpool is likewise really popular among the kiddie crowd and current comic readers and those were printed in low numbers, so maybe current sales prices make sense.

Why do you think this?

IMO

Stan Sakai is getting older and over the last 2 years he has been setting things up to sell the property. Starting with a short animated film, theatre production, new website, returning back to the Usagi Yojimbo comic series, etc... and all this was done while his wife was sick. I feel he was rebranding Usagi Yojimbo to sell.

There are many creators like Dave Sim (Cerebus), Jeff Smith (Bone), Sergio Aragones (Groo), Matt Wagner (Mage & Grendel), Neal Adams (Bucky O'Hare), Stan Sakai (Usagi Yojimbo) from the 1980s that really need to sell thier properties.

TMNT has been a hit for Nickeldeon. TMNT film (2014) alone paid for entire TMNT property. Nickelodeon paid 60 million for TMNT. The TMNT film made a profit of 80 million after expenses and that is not including DVD sales & merchandise. I haven't even talked about the cartoons, comics, video games & the TMNT 2 film yet.

If I had to guess, Nickelodeon is probably looking at Bone as their next purchase. Nickelodeon has wanted to purchase Bone and/or distribute movies since the 1990s.

Once upon a time I had about 20 copies of Albedo 3 in VF+ to NM condition (nothing that would likely slab out to a 9.6 or 9.8 without at least a pressing) that I bought for 50 cents each that I sold here and on ebay for $15-$20 a pop, maybe some of the NMs going a little over $20.

While the market is not much different for the book right now, I suspect I will have my regrets in the future.

Oh, so many regrets.

Albedo #3 was and still is a $20-40 book. #2 was ALWAYS a $200+ book, now its obviously alot higher. Which brings the question, does that book have more room to grow?

Its interesting how 99% of all copper indies have plummeted in value and theres but a handful of books which have appreciated greatly in price and are still very sought after. Albedo #2 is one of those books

Not so much heating up, but I am surprised at how blehhhh prices are on TNMT books other than the first few issues. Once you get into the teens - 30s (1989-90) were the print-runs on these astronomical or something?

the problem is the vast majority of the issues between 22-49 are really poor quality.

The early issues are great, the late issues are great, the issues in the middle suck wind, and hard.

Oh, so many regrets.

Albedo #3 was and still is a $20-40 book. #2 was ALWAYS a $200+ book, now its obviously alot higher. Which brings the question, does that book have more room to grow?

Its interesting how 99% of all copper indies have plummeted in value and theres but a handful of books which have appreciated greatly in price and are still very sought after. Albedo #2 is one of those books

#3 is an odd book though.

#2 has the great cover, 1st appearance, 2000 print run.

#3 has a non usagi cover, 2nd appearance 10,000 print run.

So #3 is significantly less desirable in every way and the price doesn't surprise me.

I'm a little a surprised that #4 doesn't do better though with the 2nd usagi cover, lower print run (6000 IRC). I feel like #4 is quite a bit better of a book than #3, personally.

If that is true, it wouldnt be a bad idea to seek some of the late UY books from the '96 run I would say anything from late 100s and up.. #145 just came out last month after a 2-3 year hiatus and the print run for it is almost as low as Albedo #2 (just about over 4K), if there is renewed interest in the character, whether from properties licensed or newer demographics likening the character (remember, 2-3 years ago Squirrel Girl was a dollar bin book, and thats about when Usagi went on hiatus), this could bring alot of new collectors to seek earlier books, and those late Usagi's are very tough to find in any grade