• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Buying moderns for future value may not be wise

Exactly my point.

I don't care what people read, what people collect, etc., but when some yahoo comes on and says the "experts" are telling newbies to "spend $80 on a crappy Modern" then I've got to toss in my 2-cents.

No "expert" (unless he's an expert on crack) would recommend such a strategy.

Exactly my point.

I don't care what people read, what people collect, etc., but when some yahoo comes on and says the "experts" are telling newbies to "spend $80 on a crappy Modern" then I've got to toss in my 2-cents.

So what strategery do you recommend ?

Exactly my point.

Berate everyone as much as possible. (shrug)

Exactly my point.

Berate everyone as much as possible. (shrug)

Buy everything at 3 cents on a dollar, store and hold. :grin:

For collectors of Rocket Racer, his first appearance is a key for that character. It's just there aren't many collectors of Rocket Racer, so most don't acknowledge the book as a key. For collectors of Spider-man, his wedding is certainly a key issue. It's true that there are a lot of books that are keys for more general reasons that appeal to a wide variety of collectors, and those understandably are more valuable and considered more important keys.

So, by this logic, every single book ever printed could be deemed a "key issue" by a sub-section of the hobby?

Fine, but we're talking about "hobby-wide keys" that have been accepted as important books by a significant portion of the collecting base.

I don't see how the first point is true. It's not even close to every first issue that features a first appearance or some other milestone event in a character's history. As to the second point, I'd say that how big a key a book is should be placed on a spectrum. It's a big gray area, not black and white. Certainly there are going to be books that every person is going to agree is a key because of its overwhelming importance not only to characters involved, but also to how it may have changed the industry. Then you're going to have issues which pretty much everyone is going to agree is not a key since there is nothing of significance or noteworthy. But there are a ton of books in that gray area that we're going to argue about, depending on the focus of our collecting or how we perceive the hobby in general.

depends how much you are paying for them

True. I should have elaborated a bit more by saying. Buying and hoarding moderns that haven't been released yet based on the postings in the Moderns Heating Up thread may not be wise.

One day those "moderns" will become vintage, but the standard for moderns is 9.8, You can only speculate, newer books go up and down all the time, but once in a while something come up out of nowhere that caught everyone off guard, Did you think BA 12 was going to turn into a $2000 book? Probably not.

For collectors of Rocket Racer, his first appearance is a key for that character. It's just there aren't many collectors of Rocket Racer, so most don't acknowledge the book as a key. For collectors of Spider-man, his wedding is certainly a key issue. It's true that there are a lot of books that are keys for more general reasons that appeal to a wide variety of collectors, and those understandably are more valuable and considered more important keys.

So, by this logic, every single book ever printed could be deemed a "key issue" by a sub-section of the hobby?

Fine, but we're talking about "hobby-wide keys" that have been accepted as important books by a significant portion of the collecting base.

I don't see how the first point is true. It's not even close to every first issue that features a first appearance or some other milestone event in a character's history.

Of course it can, as once you get down to pure minutiae like this, virtually *every* comic printed is special in some way. First, second, third appearance, artist, writer, cover appearance, large/medium/small event, co-star appearances, etc. There are many different types of "key" issues.

It all depends on your point of view, just like the Spidey-centric collectors who believe the MJ marriage is the be-all-end of keys. I bet there are some Flash Thompson fanboys who believe the issue he went to Viet Nam, graduated college, or got married are big keys too, again, from their POV.

One day those "moderns" will become vintage, but the standard for moderns is 9.8, You can only speculate, newer books go up and down all the time, but once in a while something come up out of nowhere that caught everyone off guard, Did you think BA 12 was going to turn into a $2000 book? Probably not.

The problem with Moderns is how freaking expensive the cover prices are, having been priced into the stratosphere multiples above inflation.

Add in the fact that 0.00000000000001% of published comics even become valuable, that makes it virtually impossible to make any cash just buying comics generically, as the hits like BA 12 are going to be eaten up by the thousands of other misses.

I don't see how the first point is true. It's not even close to every first issue that features a first appearance or some other milestone event in a character's history.

Of course it can, as once you get down to pure minutiae like this, virtually *every* comic printed is special in some way. First, second, third appearance, artist, writer, cover appearance, large/medium/small event, co-star appearances, etc. There are many different types of "key" issues.

It all depends on your point of view, just like the Spidey-centric collectors who believe the MJ marriage is the be-all-end of keys. I bet there are some Flash Thompson fanboys who believe the issue he went to Viet Nam, graduated college, or got married are big keys too, again, from their POV.

Flash Thompson is/has been the star of his own top selling comic book of a flagship title? ???

-J.

The problem with Moderns is how freaking expensive the cover prices are, having been priced into the stratosphere multiples above inflation.

Add in the fact that 0.00000000000001% of published comics even become valuable, that makes it virtually impossible to make any cash just buying comics generically, as the hits like BA 12 are going to be eaten up by the thousands of other misses.

The key to buying moderns now is to either speculate at 35-50% off of cover (depending on where you buy them) or to wait a few months for the hype to die down and pick them up from sellers/LCSs blowing out stock at local shows. There are a couple of LCSs that set up at local shows that I try to hit before I am fully set up since they 1) do not pay attention to what is hot and 2) blow their copper and modern books out at $0.50 - $1 apiece. It takes some time, but is a good way to buy stock to flip at the shows as well. lol

There really has been a disconnect. I remember getting a $5 allowance, which could allow me to buy 10 50c comics. Now, at $3.99 average, a kid would need a $40 allowance.

There really has been a disconnect. I remember getting a $5 allowance, which could allow me to buy 10 50c comics. Now, at $3.99 average, a kid would need a $40 allowance.

Maybe its a good thing that kids are less likely to blow their whole allowance on comics now?

.. but the first appearance of every single throwaway character can't really be considered a key, or there would be more keys than non-keys.

Many "keys" are trivial and uninteresting. What people are doing now is fabricating keys, and hoping people swallow the hook. Dealers with stockpiles of junk are happy to oblige, and all the "experts" keep spouting "quality over quantity". What that means, in practical terms, is that a new kid who starts collecting should spend $10 on a Wolverine 80, instead of buying the 10 issues before or after and reading them, even if the only reason he should want it is a test tube marked X-23.

What is wrong with Wolverine 80 as a key comic? X-23 is a clone after all.

.. but the first appearance of every single throwaway character can't really be considered a key, or there would be more keys than non-keys.

Many "keys" are trivial and uninteresting. What people are doing now is fabricating keys, and hoping people swallow the hook. Dealers with stockpiles of junk are happy to oblige, and all the "experts" keep spouting "quality over quantity". What that means, in practical terms, is that a new kid who starts collecting should spend $10 on a Wolverine 80, instead of buying the 10 issues before or after and reading them, even if the only reason he should want it is a test tube marked X-23.

What is wrong with Wolverine 80 as a key comic? X-23 is a clone after all.

I got no beef with it. A very popular character. If I was a huge fan of X-23 (and there are plenty), seems reasonable to want it. Is it a major genre defining key? Most likely not.

As always, people should buy and sell according to their own collecting/financial preferences. No need for judgment or dismissal of other peoples collecting preferences, as long as transactions are done honestly (or at least in good faith), and the facts are right.

I still look at the Wolverine 80 no different than I would calling UXM 168 a Cable key book because it's the 1st appearance of his mom('s uterus). 1st appearance of someone's genetic donors don't really make it a key for them. Same with their constituent genetic material. Otherwise, every progeny character's key or 1st would be the 1st appearances of their parents. I mean... I guess you could do that... but it's really a stretch.