• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Today's LCS $1 bin pickups.

36700232-357D-4B8F-B8A8-759F1C1E1B82_zpsja9uvkry.jpg

Honestly I was more stoked to find the Mask of The Phantasm adaptation. It brought back a TON of Animated Series memories (and MOTP is still the best Batman movie ever made).

:headbang: Movie is so good, was pleasantly surprised when I watched it a few months back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Horse-Presents-36-Variant-SET-1ST-APP-ALIENS-VS-PREDATOR-Global-Ship-A4-/141705219988?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20fe4a0f94

This seems WAAAAY to high. Not even DHP #1 or #24 brings that kind of $$$. Probably just an anomaly?

cripes, my LCS has these in multiples in the $1 bin that i won't pick up after getting stuck w/ one set.

The chromium age

The problem with this is that it's a misnomer. Most speculator covers of the early-90's-on were actually "foil enhanced" and not "chromium", so really, Foil would be the most accurate term.

Then we could make a cartoon about stupid 90's specs looking through their collections and screaming "Foiled Again!".

That's just splitting hairs. I like the Chromium title it says a lot about that time period.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Horse-Presents-36-Variant-SET-1ST-APP-ALIENS-VS-PREDATOR-Global-Ship-A4-/141705219988?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20fe4a0f94

This seems WAAAAY to high. Not even DHP #1 or #24 brings that kind of $$$. Probably just an anomaly?

cripes, my LCS has these in multiples in the $1 bin that i won't pick up after getting stuck w/ one set.

:gossip: It didn't sell. :gossip:

my bad. when i see "selling well on ebay" i assume it's not just another museum piece listing that's being referenced

Today's LCS $1 bin pickups.

36700232-357D-4B8F-B8A8-759F1C1E1B82_zpsja9uvkry.jpg

Honestly I was more stoked to find the Mask of The Phantasm adaptation. It brought back a TON of Animated Series memories (and MOTP is still the best Batman movie ever made).

^^

Come on you can tell us you did you jump up and down.

I did a little...mentally.

My LCS has a couch right inside the doorway (it's very therapeutic). The owner listened to me babble on about how great the movie was and how, at the time, I thought The Phantasm was going to change the world of Batman.

Good times.

The chromium age

The problem with this is that it's a misnomer. Most speculator covers of the early-90's-on were actually "foil enhanced" and not "chromium", so really, Foil would be the most accurate term.

Then we could make a cartoon about stupid 90's specs looking through their collections and screaming "Foiled Again!".

I prefer Pyrite (i.e. "fool's gold") Age, since so many people thought they were going to be rich.

Or go with other metal alloys. Brass? I think we need another age or two between what we consider Copper and current books. Arguably, somewhere in 2011-2013 should be considered the start of a new age, with DC's New 52, the Valiant relaunch, and Marvel Now.

I do think that the comics industry of the mid-90s has a drastically different feel than the 2000s as well, considering all of the different superhero universes that were being published in the '90s that weren't the following decade (Valiant, Comics' Greatest World, Ultraverse, Milestone, etc.). The advent of the Ultimate line could be considered the end of a late-'90s mini-age.

The chromium age

That's just splitting hairs. I like the Chromium title it says a lot about that time period.

It also fits the decreasing valued metals theme more so than "foil" does. Between the actual chromium/foil cover gimmicks and the decreasingly valued metals theme, it's pretty much the perfect name for that era.

Edited by Doktor

Looks like it did? hm

Looks like it did? hm

That's either total eBay BS or quite the reporting gap . . . I lean toward the former, although now it's gospel. :grin:

Both of these auctions are mine. The one that went for $124 was a bidding war, I just got kinda lucky that day, a week later I listed the 2nd copy I had. I just relisted the same auction, and hit a bad day, it should have done better. Just glad I didn't list my 9.8

Guys, there is a MODERN forum for all this , ya know.

Just in case no one owns a calender or understand the concept of time, Spectre 54 was released in June 1997.

Quit trying to control the conversation.

Attitude aside, he has a point

Guys, there is a MODERN forum for all this , ya know.

Just in case no one owns a calender or understand the concept of time, Spectre 54 was released in June 1997.

Quit trying to control the conversation.

Attitude aside, he has a point

I agree, and hoped my f/u illustrated my attempt at humor.

It arose b/c a couple months ago the topic seemed more intent on clarifying what the definition of 1st appearance should be. I posted that the discussion wasn't really topical. Someone pointed out, correctly, that my post was, and I'm paraphrasing, unnecessary, non topical, unconstructive, controlling, and most posts should be welcome. Or something to that extent.

I'm one who agrees that the death of Superman delineates the end of the Copper age

Nah, the Death of Superman is more like ASM 121, the "culmination" of the era, but making it the end point totally ignores the major trends of the Foil/Chromium Age, like mass speculation (Spider-man #1, 1990), Image (1992), Valiant (1990), Wizard (1991), etc.

And BTW, the first Wizard mag was July 1991, and might actually be a great benchmark for a definite point where the MA could not go past. After all, it was created by many of the very trends listed above.

Are you sure about the date of Wizard? Issue 1 has a date of Sept 1991 and the original Guide to Comics has no cover date. The original issue could be from August, July or even earlier. Did you use Wiki to get your info because that's where it says the first publication was in July?

1437017_zps8uoys7op.jpg