• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

agreed, i buy them now after ignoring them for a while, if nothing else the complete set makes you money i believe

as for divad's sale, i have no idea, given that a slabbed 9.6 sold for the same price and individual sales of that book are under $5. you could buy 5 "NM+" copies on ebay for that $36 price and roll the dice on how many come back graded correctly.

the average person should generally not expect similar returns to those that divad appears to get on ebay. But that also does not mean that his sales should be ignored as possible indicators of movement.

He's either got some magic or 'magic', which is fine, get it while there's gettin' to be got.

"appears to get"? hm

As long as you deliver HG with great service and marketing, then anything can happen (as long as you are patient). If you need to dump books, then by all means, dump books. There are plenty of buyers who want no more than a "good deal". They are not my target market.

I understand repeat customers coming back to your eBay ID for HG copies; but for this particular copy it was using one of your "newer" IDs with only 100 FB.

You probably can't answer this, but why would a buyer pick a random 100 FB seller to spend $36 on a raw 9.8 of a common comic?

I don't think its unreasonable to have some level of doubt. See a super hot girl at a club with some loser looking dude, you might wonder about the explanation. Upon hearing the explanation (which by the way I'm not entitled to), I might believe it, I might not. I don't really care either way. But I don't think its shocking or outlandish to think "hmmmm"

Whoever bought that book as a raw 9.8 is either an insufficiently_thoughtful_person or someone who can't grade. It's obvious from the scans that it is not a slamdunk 9.8. Could CGC ignore the spine tics on the front and back covers? I suppose they might. But why would you buy a raw 9.8 for the same price as the last 9.8 sale on GPA?

Rule #1 to get people to spend money on raw books...Actually use a scanner and not a cellphone to take pictures. Slabs included.

the majority of books sold on ebay don't have scans, and even if they do they are stock, so no that isn't rule #1

Actually, if you want them to sell (and not play the endless return game), it is. :grin:

I've sold a ton of books with HQ scans, front and back. I don't get returns. Darkstar I think is just following the rest of the clueless ebay selling crowd, MCS uses stock images since they list books by the thousands, but he's right, it is Rule #2, Not Rule #1 Rules #1 is to use the correct keywords in your title :)

All of my listings have hq scans though. And pictures too depending on age and price of the book. I'm just saying most people don't use scans and they seem to do alright without them.

Once CGC says what it is that's like the word of G-D. .

Who's G-D? Gary Dolgoff....?

That would be cool if it was Gary Dolgoff, what with the comics connection and all...

Gary Dolgoff graded to CGC standards or tighter, although maybe he has loosened up in recent years, I don't know.

(Yes, I know who "G-D" is.)

In case anyone else is wondering (I know RMA is well versed in this stuff with his PhD in Comics Religion), there are some who believe it is disrespectful to the almighty to actually spell the word out (and I guess even say it) and I don't want to offend anyone (not that I don't do that in many other contexts).

Edited by the blob

Whoever bought that book as a raw 9.8 is either an insufficiently_thoughtful_person or someone who can't grade. It's obvious from the scans that it is not a slamdunk 9.8. Could CGC ignore the spine tics on the front and back covers? I suppose they might. But why would you buy a raw 9.8 for the same price as the last 9.8 sale on GPA?

--------------

To be fair, and I don't have GPA, on ebay at least the last 9.6 sale was $36. Surprisingly, no non-SS 9.8 sale for a while.

--------------

To be fair, and I don't have GPA, on ebay at least the last 9.6 sale was $36. Surprisingly, no non-SS 9.8 sale for a while.

12 month GPA avg is $55. 90 day avg is $36. Last 3 sales (Aug., July, May) are $38, 34, 42.

with that said, it is a good lesson for seller's not to be a slave to recent completed sales prices. someone needs to be the highest sale, why not you?

also, if you are willing to sit tight and make 2-3 sales a month you have a better shot at fetching those prices...if you're using up your 40 free auctions (and taking advantage of special offers on occasion), then that's only making a sale on about 4-8% of your listings. i understand this is spread out over a few accounts, so it is more like 8-12 sales a month.

but moving forward i see acquiring good material cheap as getting harder and harder, so why give it away? acquiring decent BA and CA books at shows feels 2-3X as expensive as it was 5-10 years ago. and scoring those big time pricing mistakes is getting harder and harder. obviously you need to strike while the iron is hot with hot stuff, but why should I, let's say, potentially give away your run of the mill VF+ 20 cent cover price Avengers for 99 cents by putting them up for auction and hoping people are looking that day?

Edited by the blob

with that said, it is a good lesson for seller's not to be a slave to recent completed sales prices. someone needs to be the highest sale, why not you?
Because I don't sell books that look like that to unsophisticated buyers as a raw 9.8.

Because I don't sell books that look like that to unsophisticated buyers as a raw 9.8.

that's not what i am saying. put aside what you think that grade actually is. i see the spine ticks too and someone can make an informed decision. if you had a raw copy of that book you felt was a strong 9.8 candidate would you put it up for a $36 opening bid when that is practically what slabs are selling for? i'll give divad credit, he has cajones and sometimes it pays off.

that's not what i am saying. put aside what you think that grade actually is. i see the spine ticks too and someone can make an informed decision. if you had a raw copy of that book you felt was a strong 9.8 candidate would you put it up for a $36 opening bid when that is practically what slabs are selling for? i'll give divad credit, he has cajones and sometimes it pays off.

I might if I was absolutely sure it was a 9.8. Frankly, I would probably call it a 9.6 or better. It's been discussed ad nauseam here, he overgrades on some of his ebay listings. That's not cajones. That is either an inability to grade 9.8s or it is deliberately taking advantage of buyers who can't grade for themselves.

true, i never say anything is a 9.8 either, too much chance, when i really think something looks pristine i say "likely 9.6 - 9.8"... if someone slabs and gets a 9.6 back i don't want them being mad at me

I might if I was absolutely sure it was a 9.8. Frankly, I would probably call it a 9.6 or better. It's been discussed ad nauseam here, he overgrades on some of his ebay listings. That's not cajones. That is either an inability to grade 9.8s or it is deliberately taking advantage of buyers who can't grade for themselves.

You're the only thing ad nauseum around here. :sick: All you sell is manufactured plastic collectibles. You couldn't grade your way out of the hole you live in. lol

Uh, no offense. :grin:

You're the only thing ad nauseum around here. :sick: All you sell is manufactured plastic collectibles. You couldn't grade your way out the hole you live in. lol

Next grading contest. You both enter and one comes out alive. :sumo:

In case anyone else is wondering (I know RMA is well versed in this stuff with his PhD in Comics Religion), there are some who believe it is disrespectful to the almighty to actually spell the word out (and I guess even say it) and I don't want to offend anyone (not that I don't do that in many other contexts).

You never worry about offending me, so there's that at least....

You're the only thing ad nauseum around here. :sick: All you sell is manufactured plastic collectibles. You couldn't grade your way out the hole you live in. lol

I've already offered to select a number of divad's raw listings, have them sent to a neutral 3rd party and let CGC's grade be the judge of the results. I believe I offered to let the graded slabs be auctioned off for a charity of the winner's choice. He has declined.

In fairness, RMA thinks this is not a fair test to divad as (I believe this was the objection) divad has everything to lose and nothing to gain. But, when someone comes touting extraordinary results from selling UHG raw books on ebay, many of which appear to be overgraded, I feel no compulsion to remain silent. To divad's credit, he provides reasonably large scans. I just think people buying his overgraded books (some but not all of his offerings) can't grade, don't pay attention or don't care. That doesn't make them any less overgraded.

I've already offered to select a number of divad's raw listings, have them sent to a neutral 3rd party and let CGC's grade be the judge of the results. I believe I offered to let the graded slabs be auctioned off for a charity of the winner's choice. He has declined.

In fairness, RMA thinks this is not a fair test to divad as (I believe this was the objection) divad has everything to lose and nothing to gain. But, when someone comes touting extraordinary results from selling UHG raw books on ebay, many of which appear to be overgraded, I feel no compulsion to remain silent. To divad's credit, he provides reasonably large scans. I just think people buying his overgraded books (some but not all of his offerings) can't grade, don't pay attention or don't care. That doesn't make them any less overgraded.

I recall those discussions and that's why I suggested a grading contest. They're not his books so there is less at stake. It would be fun.

You never worry about offending me, so there's that at least....

Religion is a tricky topic. And race. I try to stay away from that stuff.

Divid has 100% positive feedback on eBay, and unless you have bought a comic advertised from him as a 9.8 and have been displeased, I think what you are proposing is unfair to Divad.

I have thousands of dollars worth of books that are all solid CGC 9.8 candidates, but I do not want to tie up $25.20 (modern grade fee + fast track minus my 10% membership discount) on having them graded and then selling them for an average of $100 when I get them back from CGC.Call it $30 per book in shipping/grading cost, at the least.

Multiply that $30 figure by 100 and that is how many books that I could package up and mail off to CGC for grading in a few days.And I'd still have likely another 100 books with GPA's around $100 but I'd rather spend the money on grading books to get bigger returns.I simply don't have the cash to have a 100 moderns graded, in a shot and then wait 2-3 months (from when the books were shipped to CGC) to be able to *start* to get any of my money back.

I recently gave Divad's 9.8 raw selling approach a test run and sold through all of the Preacher # 42 candidates which I graded as 9.8, save one of them(the last b/c I just didn't have time to ship it out and refunded the buyer instead).

I received positive feedback from all 4 buyers who received a raw Preacher 42 from me, which I graded as a 9.8.I will continue on listing raw boks that I have, which I don't want to spend money on having graded.......like Wolverine 66 (picked up a raw 9.6 and a raw 9.8 recently and I'll list them as such on eBay for $30-$50 each BIN))...Dark Horse Presents 1....same grades.

Preacher # 8...got a few of them, as well.And so on.

Two of the 4 buyers of the Preacher # 42 9.8 raws even sent me a message, after they gave me positive feedback on ebay, praising the raw preacher 42 9.8 they received from me and my packaging methods.

FTR, GPA shows the last Preacher 42 9.8 sale at around $100 via an auction listing on eBay.

Here is a copy of one of the messages, it clearly shows that the buyer will be subbing the book I sold to him and he is confident he'll get a 9.8 out of it.

Dear copperagekids,

Your packaging was outstanding. The comic arrived in perfect condition and is exactly like you said a "SOLID CGC 9.8 CANDIDATE". In 2 mylars with buffered acid free boards did not go unnoticed...on the contrary, it was the 1st thing I noticed and that put a smile on my face. This one will be sent to my cgc affiliate for signatures and grading.

The way you shipped it spoke volumes of your character, your professionalism, your dedication and respect toward this industry.

Just yesterday, another seller wrote saying that I was demanding, ridiculous, impatient and immature. I know he was wrong but still, it hurt.

I thoroughly enjoyed our transaction and have already added you to my best sellers list. Hope that the feedback I left for you adequately conveyed my appreciation and gratitude for all that you did.

Thank you very, very much, ed

"Some who believe"? Well, that is in the very texture of the whole Old Testament (and thus encompassing all Judaism and Israel). The understanding of this is important on many levels, even if one is not a believer, as it allows to understand the relationship God establishes with the chosen people, and how this changed with time. :)

Divid has 100% positive feedback on eBay, and unless you have bought a comic advertised from him as a 9.8 and have been displeased, I think what you are proposing is unfair to Divad.

I have thousands of dollars worth of books that are all solid CGC 9.8 candidates, but I do not want to tie up $25.20 (modern grade fee + fast track minus my 10% membership discount) on having them graded and then selling them for an average of $100 when I get them back from CGC.Call it $30 per book in shipping/grading cost, at the least.

Multiply that $30 figure by 100 and that is how many books that I could package up and mail off to CGC for grading in a few days.And I'd still have likely another 100 books with GPA's around $100 but I'd rather spend the money on grading books to get bigger returns.I simply don't have the cash to have a 100 moderns graded, in a shot and then wait 2-3 months (from when the books were shipped to CGC) to be able to *start* to get any of my money back.

I recently gave Divad's 9.8 raw selling approach a test run and sold through all of the Preacher # 42 candidates which I graded as 9.8, save one of them(the last b/c I just didn't have time to ship it out and refunded the buyer instead).

I received positive feedback from all 4 buyers who received a raw Preacher 42 from me, which I graded as a 9.8.I will continue on listing raw boks that I have, which I don't want to spend money on having graded.......like Wolverine 66 (picked up a raw 9.6 and a raw 9.8 recently and I'll list them as such on eBay for $30-$50 each BIN))...Dark Horse Presents 1....same grades.

Preacher # 8...got a few of them, as well.And so on.

Two of the 4 buyers of the Preacher # 42 9.8 raws even sent me a message, after they gave me positive feedback on ebay, praising the raw preacher 42 9.8 they received from me and my packaging methods.

FTR, GPA shows the last Preacher 42 9.8 sale at around $100 via an auction listing on eBay.

Here is a copy of one of the messages, it clearly shows that the buyer will be subbing the book I sold to him and he is confident he'll get a 9.8 out of it.

Dear copperagekids,

Your packaging was outstanding. The comic arrived in perfect condition and is exactly like you said a "SOLID CGC 9.8 CANDIDATE". In 2 mylars with buffered acid free boards did not go unnoticed...on the contrary, it was the 1st thing I noticed and that put a smile on my face. This one will be sent to my cgc affiliate for signatures and grading.

The way you shipped it spoke volumes of your character, your professionalism, your dedication and respect toward this industry.

Just yesterday, another seller wrote saying that I was demanding, ridiculous, impatient and immature. I know he was wrong but still, it hurt.

I thoroughly enjoyed our transaction and have already added you to my best sellers list. Hope that the feedback I left for you adequately conveyed my appreciation and gratitude for all that you did.

Thank you very, very much, ed

ON A RELATED NOTE. I used to do data entry at the IRS. One time I got a bonus of $5.11 for the whole week for speed and accuracy. It was my only bonus during my tenure there.

Also, I once caught a Sammy Sosa home run ball at a mets game when I was 17. Barehand like a boss.

I made a really good steak two weeks ago. just salt and pepper, then 1 minute each on a pre-heated cast iron grill pan, then 2 mintues each side in the pre-heated oven. My wife said it was the best steak she had all year. And she's had at least 3 steaks this year.

Does anyone else have any other stuff they want to brag about?