• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

agreed, i buy them now after ignoring them for a while, if nothing else the complete set makes you money i believe

as for divad's sale, i have no idea, given that a slabbed 9.6 sold for the same price and individual sales of that book are under $5. you could buy 5 "NM+" copies on ebay for that $36 price and roll the dice on how many come back graded correctly.

the average person should generally not expect similar returns to those that divad appears to get on ebay. But that also does not mean that his sales should be ignored as possible indicators of movement.

He's either got some magic or 'magic', which is fine, get it while there's gettin' to be got.

"appears to get"? hm

As long as you deliver HG with great service and marketing, then anything can happen (as long as you are patient). If you need to dump books, then by all means, dump books. There are plenty of buyers who want no more than a "good deal". They are not my target market.

I understand repeat customers coming back to your eBay ID for HG copies; but for this particular copy it was using one of your "newer" IDs with only 100 FB.

You probably can't answer this, but why would a buyer pick a random 100 FB seller to spend $36 on a raw 9.8 of a common comic?

I don't think its unreasonable to have some level of doubt. See a super hot girl at a club with some loser looking dude, you might wonder about the explanation. Upon hearing the explanation (which by the way I'm not entitled to), I might believe it, I might not. I don't really care either way. But I don't think its shocking or outlandish to think "hmmmm"

agreed, i buy them now after ignoring them for a while, if nothing else the complete set makes you money i believe

as for divad's sale, i have no idea, given that a slabbed 9.6 sold for the same price and individual sales of that book are under $5. you could buy 5 "NM+" copies on ebay for that $36 price and roll the dice on how many come back graded correctly.

the average person should generally not expect similar returns to those that divad appears to get on ebay. But that also does not mean that his sales should be ignored as possible indicators of movement.

He's either got some magic or 'magic', which is fine, get it while there's gettin' to be got.

"appears to get"? hm

As long as you deliver HG with great service and marketing, then anything can happen (as long as you are patient). If you need to dump books, then by all means, dump books. There are plenty of buyers who want no more than a "good deal". They are not my target market.

I understand repeat customers coming back to your eBay ID for HG copies; but for this particular copy it was using one of your "newer" IDs with only 100 FB.

You probably can't answer this, but why would a buyer pick a random 100 FB seller to spend $36 on a raw 9.8 of a common comic?

(shrug) It must be "magic". :grin:

For starters, huge scans do make a difference. ;)

Second, I think people like buying from the little guys.

Third, the listings are very well presented, concise and accurate.

Rule #1 to get people to spend money on raw books...Actually use a scanner and not a cellphone to take pictures. Slabs included.

Not so fast there bud..

A scan wouldnt reveal a spine roll nor will it show how glossy a copy is or not

I usually go with pics as opposed to scans, but thats just me

Rule #1 to get people to spend money on raw books...Actually use a scanner and not a cellphone to take pictures. Slabs included.

Not so fast there bud..

I've seen plenty of spine roll on scans.

Regardless, high quality scans are always going to show more flaws than photos

Not so fast there bud..

Agreed. Photos are deceptive, particularly as to "gloss". ;)

Not so fast there bud..

Agreed. Photos are deceptive, particularly as to "gloss". ;)

The only time Ill take a scan over a pic is if the seller says that the book is a 9.4+ (and obviously, at that grade point, there arent any serious flaws allowed). But anything below Ill take a pics please. Emphasis is on pictureS, not one or 2, a few..

BTW, modern smartphones take AMAZING pics, at high resolution.. So I wouldnt dismiss cellphone cams so quickly

And last, yes gloss is important to me.. Plenty of books out there with nice glossy covers and plenty without, guess which I will go with..

the majority of books sold on ebay don't have scans, and even if they do they are stock, so no that isn't rule #1

the majority of books sold on ebay don't have scans, and even if they do they are stock, so no that isn't rule #1

Actually, if you want them to sell (and not play the endless return game), it is. :grin:

Actually, if you want them to sell (and not play the endless return game), it is. :grin:

I've sold a ton of books with HQ scans, front and back. I don't get returns. Darkstar I think is just following the rest of the clueless ebay selling crowd, MCS uses stock images since they list books by the thousands, but he's right, it is Rule #2, Not Rule #1 Rules #1 is to use the correct keywords in your title :)

My copy was a 9.8. Which would you rather have for the same price? A slabbed 9.6 or a raw 9.8? hm

It isn't a 9.8 until someone spends $20 or whatever to get CGC to say so. Before that it is a stated NM/NM+. Once CGC says what it is that's like the word of G-D. Right? Like with autographs, anything outside a yellow slab is just a scribble. But anyway, I'm not knocking it, I have decided I am going to aim high on some of my higher grade books, even if common and not terribly in demand.

This guy also gets some good results on books that aren't doing squat elsewhere:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avengers-145-NEAR-MINT-9-6-NM-Captain-America-Iron-Man-Vision-Thor-MARVEL-/231642781658?hash=item35eefc57da

I don't know anything about him, but obviously he sells a lot of stuff. Not every auction goes wild though, but as I was listing some BA books tonight it and checking prices, a bunch of his popped up and they were 2-4X higher than the next highest raw copy sold.

Once CGC says what it is that's like the word of G-D. .

Who's G-D? Gary Dolgoff....?

That would be cool if it was Gary Dolgoff, what with the comics connection and all...

Dolgoff turns to Overstreet as his word of G-D.

Whats a good price to sell a Suicide Squad Number 1, 1987 series for. NM, unslabbed. I've been offered 60$. Any good?

Slab it. Had one that I figured was a 9.2, 9.4 tops and it came back a 9.6