• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Is the glossy version tougher to find?

Yes... but...

- the exact ratios have never been known.

- it's not clear if CGC gets the identification correct*.

* there are numerous cases where CGC has misidentified various Valiant gold variants which are clearly gold. It's hard to believe they would be good at identifying glossy vs. not-as-glossy but otherwise-identical.

The paper stock is different, it feels like sandpaper. I know, I have one that came back 9.8

There's a difference. Whether CGC consistently knows the difference is in question.

They often mislabel books where there is a variation... no matter how obvious.

For example, this is not a gold edition.

It is a literally worthless (9.2 is below average for this $1 book) common version: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131570773359

If anything, it sounds like you have no idea you know the difference cause you never held one in your hand before, and you call yourself a valiantman :facepalm:

I don't have any doubt that I can tell the difference (and if you think I never held one you're ridiculous). lol

I'm saying that I'm not confident that CGC will get the labeling correct every time, due to known errors like the worthless Bloodshot #0 that they labeled as "Gold Edition".

I think Valiantman had the first ever 10.0 Rai 0? He can correct me if I'm wrong....

First and only CGC 10.0 Rai #0. ;)

labels can alway be corrected, if you don't have any confidence in thier labeling, how can you be sure your 10.0 is really a 10.0? Might have been mislabeled instead of a 9.8 or 9.9

In my opinion Valiantman's Rai #0 10.0 has a very slight miswrap, which arguably should keep it from being a 10

Is the glossy version tougher to find?

Yes... but...

- the exact ratios have never been known.

- it's not clear if CGC gets the identification correct*.

* there are numerous cases where CGC has misidentified various Valiant gold variants which are clearly gold. It's hard to believe they would be good at identifying glossy vs. not-as-glossy but otherwise-identical.

The paper stock is different, it feels like sandpaper. I know, I have one that came back 9.8

There's a difference. Whether CGC consistently knows the difference is in question.

They often mislabel books where there is a variation... no matter how obvious.

For example, this is not a gold edition.

It is a literally worthless (9.2 is below average for this $1 book) common version: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131570773359

If anything, it sounds like you have no idea you know the difference cause you never held one in your hand before, and you call yourself a valiantman :facepalm:

I don't have any doubt that I can tell the difference (and if you think I never held one you're ridiculous). lol

I'm saying that I'm not confident that CGC will get the labeling correct every time, due to known errors like the worthless Bloodshot #0 that they labeled as "Gold Edition".

I think Valiantman had the first ever 10.0 Rai 0? He can correct me if I'm wrong....

First and only CGC 10.0 Rai #0. ;)

labels can alway be corrected, if you don't have any confidence in thier labeling, how can you be sure your 10.0 is really a 10.0? Might have been mislabeled instead of a 9.8 or 9.9

I'm not sure what the heck you are getting at. The discussion has diverged entirely. Greg (Valiantman) is commenting on whether we can use the CGC census to determine the relative scarcity of the two variants known to exist.

It is completely uncontroversial to opine that we cannot, since "glossy" has only been recently appearing on labels. I have subbed dozens (no joke) of Rai 0s of both varieties over the last 10+ years and have never got back a label that stated "glossy". Even now that we see CGC trying to differentiate, the point that this variation is not one anyone would expect CGC get right all the time is also valid. Indeed, it is subtle enough for us to think they could get it wrong rather commonly.

He's not saying the variant doesn't exist. He's not saying one is less or more common than the other. He's just saying that the census will not reflect the reality of whatever the situation may be. This is absolutely 100% true.

We have always assumed that the glossy run was smaller than the matte run, and I see no reason to doubt that, my experience lines up with it. But I've never seen anything from anyone who might really know to give me an inkling of where the split is. The census is already corrupted enough to also be useless in this regard.

CKB is correct, and possibly the most experienced Valiant submitter in the world.

My other concern about CGC not labeling these books correctly every time is based upon the sales. Glossy is going for about $175 in CGC 9.8, and Matte is going for about $120 in CGC 9.8. For those buyers paying $175 for Glossy who might receive a mislabeled Matte book which is really worth about $120, there is no fix. When CGC mislabels a common book as gold, it's easy to see, so the buyer should be knowledgeable enough to catch it... but it is basically impossible to look at the slabbed Rai #0 book online and tell the difference. The buyer isn't even partially at fault, and it will totally be CGC's fault at the buyer's expense.

What's the ceiling for X-Factor #24? We all know that Archangel is going to be in the next X-flick, but he hasn't shown up in any trailers or anything yet, outside of Singer's Instagram account. Current census is:

9.9 - Universal (1)

9.8 - Universal (354) Signature Series (71) Total (425)

9.6 - Universal (356) Signature Series (66) Total (422)

Closed BINs on eBay are all over the map, with the lowest CGC 9.8 closing at $182.50 and the highest being under $299 via an accepted Best Offer. How much room does this book necessarily have to grow in the future once we get closer to Apocalypse?

What's the ceiling for X-Factor #24? We all know that Archangel is going to be in the next X-flick, but he hasn't shown up in any trailers or anything yet, outside of Singer's Instagram account. Current census is:

9.9 - Universal (1)

Closed BINs on eBay are all over the map, with the lowest CGC 9.8 closing at $182.50 and the highest being under $299 via an accepted Best Offer. How much room does this book necessarily have to grow in the future once we get closer to Apocalypse?

Strictly speaking, X-Factor #24 is not the "first appearance of Archangel", as Warren would have accepted the rechristened name "Archangel" after he was freed from Apocalypse's influence. #24 shows Warren becoming Death, Apocalypse's fourth horseman, so in my opinion all of the books from that arc are important. Surely a great story. :)

9.9 - Universal (1)

Strictly speaking, X-Factor #24 is not the "first appearance of Archangel", as Warren would have accepted the rechristened name "Archangel" after he was freed from Apocalypse's influence. #24 shows Warren becoming Death, Apocalypse's fourth horseman, so in my opinion all of the books from that arc are important. Surely a great story. :)

Again,

Death/Archangel first appears as a monochrome background character (with the rest of the Horsemen) in 21, followed by multiple panels in shadow in 22, then shows his new form and abilities in 23. Then he gets the cover of issue 24, in which his change is revealed to X-Factor. Various characters call him Death, Death Angel, Dark Angel, etc. until he is named "Archangel" by the Beast at the end of issue 38.

X-Factor 24 definitely does not show Warren becoming Death, it just demonstrates the control Apocalypse has by sending Death into his first real battle against his friends.

He was freed of Apocalypse's control in issue 24. Apocalypse's influence lasted much, much longer.

But you are right in that X-Factor 24 isn't the first appearance of anything.

I sold one last week for $400 (9.8) :gossip:

9.9 - Universal (1)

agreed, i buy them now after ignoring them for a while, if nothing else the complete set makes you money i believe

as for divad's sale, i have no idea, given that a slabbed 9.6 sold for the same price and individual sales of that book are under $5. you could buy 5 "NM+" copies on ebay for that $36 price and roll the dice on how many come back graded correctly.

agreed, i buy them now after ignoring them for a while, if nothing else the complete set makes you money i believe

as for divad's sale, i have no idea, given that a slabbed 9.6 sold for the same price and individual sales of that book are under $5. you could buy 5 "NM+" copies on ebay for that $36 price and roll the dice on how many come back graded correctly.

the average person should generally not expect similar returns to those that divad appears to get on ebay. But that also does not mean that his sales should be ignored as possible indicators of movement.

He's either got some magic or 'magic', which is fine, get it while there's gettin' to be got.

the average person should generally not expect similar returns to those that divad appears to get on ebay. But that also does not mean that his sales should be ignored as possible indicators of movement.

He's either got some magic or 'magic', which is fine, get it while there's gettin' to be got.

"appears to get"? hm

As long as you deliver HG with great service and marketing, then anything can happen (as long as you are patient). If you need to dump books, then by all means, dump books. There are plenty of buyers who want no more than a "good deal". They are not my target market.

Btw, here's the buyer feedback on the SMUL 1:

Awesome!!!! just as described and fast shipping

SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED #1 May 1990 NM/MT 9.8 MAXIMUM CARNAGE Begins 1st App SHRIEK (#271947114307)

US $36.00

:grin:

My copy was a 9.8. Which would you rather have for the same price? A slabbed 9.6 or a raw 9.8? hm

"appears to get"? hm

As long as you deliver HG with great service and marketing, then anything can happen (as long as you are patient). If you need to dump books, then by all means, dump books. There are plenty of buyers who want no more than a "good deal". They are not my target market.

I understand repeat customers coming back to your eBay ID for HG copies; but for this particular copy it was using one of your "newer" IDs with only 100 FB.

You probably can't answer this, but why would a buyer pick a random 100 FB seller to spend $36 on a raw 9.8 of a common comic?