• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Batman The Dark Knight Returns #4 CGC 9.8 $680

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-The-Dark-Knight-Returns-1986-1st-Printing-4-CGC-9-8-0267112020-/131629827372?hash=item1ea5bfc52c:g:yQQAAOSwYHxWIOtV

Mycomicshop has to be pretty pleased with this one. (thumbs u

I think someone with a lot of money just decided to buy a whole set of the first Dark Knight run asap and wanted all 9.8. A complete set was bought. Since that one was the only copy at the time up in 9.8 I think that was just a fluke.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for this book to be in that range, since I have a couple of copies but I think more sellers are going to post this at that price point will have their books sit until they go back down.

Wow, I'm not much of a grader, especially with prestige format books, but I'm surprised that DKR #4 is a 9.8.

yeah, I'd be pissed if I got that book in the mail after paying $680 for it. Those corners look pretty worn.

Wow, I'm not much of a grader, especially with prestige format books, but I'm surprised that DKR #4 is a 9.8.

Wow, I just checked those images.. that's DEFINITELY not a 9.8 :facepalm:

Wow, I wish I could tell a 9.8 by looking at a 2-D image of a book in a slab like you can, I'm learning from the wrong people all along.

Who put out a memo for a authenticating grades through 3D images and didnt send me a copy :taptaptap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-The-Dark-Knight-Returns-1986-1st-Printing-4-CGC-9-8-0267112020-/131629827372?hash=item1ea5bfc52c:g:yQQAAOSwYHxWIOtV

Uh yeah, no.

While mycomicshop itself is a reputable company, shillers love using its ebay listings to artificially pump up prices of books all the time.

All the time.

-J.

There sales are always staggering to me. Raw or slabbed their prices are well above market always. With no justification usually. I know some are consignment, but not all are.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Uh yeah, no.

While mycomicshop itself is a reputable company, shillers love using its ebay listings to artificially pump up prices of books all the time.

All the time.

-J.

...or maybe a book that doesn't have 400 CGC 9.8s that happens to be around 30 years old, is considered some of Frank Miller's best work, and is called the most important battle in comic's history by Comic Book Resources is finally being recognized for all of the things it is. hm

I know its no ASM #678 (to you) :D but to some of us, it happens to be the book that settled years of arguments. Who would win ? Ask MCS if it sold. They are fellow bordies and I'm sure they'd share the info. Either way, its a book on the move.

Uh yeah, no.

All the time.

-J.

...or maybe a book that doesn't have 400 CGC 9.8s that happens to be around 30 years old, is considered some of Frank Miller's best work, and is called the most important battle in comic's history by Comic Book Resources is finally being recognized for all of the things it is. hm

I know its no ASM #678 (to you) :D but to some of us, it happens to be the book that settled years of arguments. Who would win ? Ask MCS if it sold. They are fellow bordies and I'm sure they'd share the info. Either way, its a book on the move.

...or it was just another shilled MCS "sale" via ebay. People didn't just suddenly discover the plot of the book today. :eyeroll:

A problem acknowledged both by Conan (of MCS) and GPA on these boards. And here's your dead give away right here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-The-Dark-Knight-4-DC-1988-GRADED-CGC-9-8-WHITE-/272003284940?hash=item3f54a8bfcc:g:L~sAAOSw42JWDWml

:gossip: And 340+ copies (and counting) of a book in a 9.8 is still a whole lot of 9.8's.

-J.

Uh yeah, no.

All the time.

-J.

...or it was just another shilled MCS "sale" via ebay. :eyeroll:

A problem acknowledged both by Conan (of MCS) and GPA on these boards. And here's your dead give away right here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-The-Dark-Knight-4-DC-1988-GRADED-CGC-9-8-WHITE-/272003284940?hash=item3f54a8bfcc:g:L~sAAOSw42JWDWml

:gossip: And 340+ copies (and counting) of a book in a 9.8 is still a whole lot of 9.8's.

-J.

Funny. I have this on search and receive emails from ebay every day. That book has never popped up. My bet is it will sell now that you've pointed it out. lol

Someone should thank you. As for the number of 9.8s, demand will decide if that is too many or few. That represents about one fifth of a book like Saga #1. With almost 1700 copies in 9.8, that book was selling for more than TDKR #4 as recently as last year. This may or may not be a $600 book. No one knows. What we do know is that it's on a steady climb and worth mentioning as a book that is heating up. The entire miniseries is undervalued imo. In this day and age, the 1st female Robin might be an overlooked book too.

Uh yeah, no.

All the time.

-J.

-J.

Funny. I have this on search and receive emails from ebay every day. That book has never popped up. My bet is it will sell now that you've pointed it out. lol

Someone should thank you. As for the number of 9.8s, demand will decide if that is too many or few. That represents about one fifth of a book like Saga #1. With almost 1700 copies in 9.8, that book was selling for more than TDKR #4 as recently as last year. This may or may not be a $600 book. No one knows. What we do know is that it's on a steady climb and worth mentioning as a book that is heating up. The entire miniseries is undervalued imo. In this day and age, the 1st female Robin might be an overlooked book too.

Take a good look at the label on the book in the link.

It needs to be corrected, and probably scares away potential buyers.

Edited by MediumLover

Wow, I just checked those images.. that's DEFINITELY not a 9.8 :facepalm:

Wow, I wish I could tell a 9.8 by looking at a 2-D image of a book in a slab like you can, I'm learning from the wrong people all along.

hard to tell what is on the case vs. the book, but it would seem to me looking at the back cover there are some color flecks/chips out around the top and bottom spine corner that would perhaps often preclude a 9.8, but i don't know what cgc does on these square bounds prestige format books

Uh yeah, no.

All the time.

-J.

-J.

good catch. that label probably does confuse folks.

Uh yeah, no.

All the time.

-J.

-J.

Here's another reason why that MCS "sale" on ebay is either shilled or a horrific outlier:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/batman-the-dark-knight-returns-4-dc-1986-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/121539-14236.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

($167.00 from two weeks ago)

-J.

Uh yeah, no.

All the time.

-J.

-J.

Here's another reason why that MCS "sale" on ebay is either shilled or a horrific outlier:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/batman-the-dark-knight-returns-4-dc-1986-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/121539-14236.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

-J.

Because it isn't possible that a low sale is the outlier?

Uh yeah, no.

All the time.

-J.

-J.

That's the special prestige JIHAD edition. It comes with a free BIN-LADEN action figure.

osamabinladen-530x433.jpg

Uh yeah, no.

All the time.

-J.

-J.

-J.

lol All signs point to "no" since GPA 90 day is $143.

Nobody paid $600+ for that book. It's a fake "sale" and it looks to have been scrubbed/not reported by GPA as well.

-J.

Uh yeah, no.

All the time.

-J.

-J.

-J.

lol All signs point to "no" since GPA 90 day is $143.

Nobody paid $600+ for that book. It's a fake "sale" and it looks to have been scrubbed/not reported by GPA as well.

-J.

90 day GPA is $294 with an upward arrow. Its shown as the last sale on GPA right now. Its strange it doesn't show on yours. Twilight Zone ? lol

90 day on #3 is $143. (thumbs u

Whoops must have clicked the wrong entry on the smart phone! lol

GPA 90 day is about $120 bucks higher than a #3 at $268 (prior to this "sale").

Still quite obviously either a shill or an egregious outlier.

-J.

As someone who is pretty familiar with sales of TDKR 1-4, a sale of $680 would be an extreme outlier. The sale still shows up in GPA, but it might ultimately get pulled. Even if it is 100% legit, this is NOT an indication of a market trend, IMHO.

I've no basis to allege the following but I will put it out there anyway. Book "sells" for $680 on 10/16. Then someone lists a BIN on a 9.8 for $600 on 10/18.

ADDED: The Cert #...2020 "Ended:Oct 16, 2015 , 7:16AM"

The same Cert #....2020 also "Ended:Oct 16, 2015 , 7:35AM"

The first listing was ended as the book was no longer available. Any way to see when the second listing was started? Could be another clue if the $680 book was listed and sold almost immediately. Clue #whatever is that the book was sold at a really weird time for an Ebay sale: 7:35 in the morning?