• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Amazing Spidey #294 9.8 @ $78 & 28 watchers. Or Amazing Spidey #293 9.8 @ $40 & 21 watchers.

Probably has somethign to do with this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-293-MINT-Kraven-Venom-CGC-9-9-OW-WHITE-Pgs-/141792058601?hash=item2103771ce9:g:JeYAAOSwN81WEKvo

:odoh!

Ok, I understand that a 9.8 goes for $1-200 for a book like that, but does the 9.9 provide it with such a high value that it's worth 8-10 times more? Is it for the rarity of it, or just a reasonably loved book in 9.9?

Amazing Spidey #294 9.8 @ $78 & 28 watchers. Or Amazing Spidey #293 9.8 @ $40 & 21 watchers.

Probably has somethign to do with this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-293-MINT-Kraven-Venom-CGC-9-9-OW-WHITE-Pgs-/141792058601?hash=item2103771ce9:g:JeYAAOSwN81WEKvo

:odoh!

Ok, I understand that a 9.8 goes for $1-200 for a book like that, but does the 9.9 provide it with such a high value that it's worth 8-10 times more? Is it for the rarity of it, or just a reasonably loved book in 9.9?

9.9's don't come along that often and it's a minor Spidey key to boot.

Whether or not you think Doomsday was a one hit wonder or not (for those who think the 1st appearance was the peak for the character and all the other appearances have been downhill,), DC won't see it that way and will keep bringing the character back. I'm not surprised that this character's first appearance saw movement.

He already made an appearance on Smallville and was in the Superman/Doomsday animated movie. Appearing in a movie just cements that this character will be around for a while to come.

Now the question is how high can it go or did we already see the peak? Doomsday is to Superman as Bane is to Batman IMHO and that might be a good indicator on how high this book can go. What does the 1st appearance of Bane sell for?

9.8's of Vengeance of Bane 1 go for just under $200 nowadays. I also believe that Vengeance of Bane 1 was not as heavily ordered as MOS 18, as at the time nobody knew that Bane was going to break Batman's back. Doomsday was going to kill superman from day one and everyone was in on it, including the public.

9.8's of Vengeance of Bane 1 go for just under $200 nowadays. I also believe that Vengeance of Bane 1 was not as heavily ordered as MOS 18, as at the time nobody knew that Bane was going to break Batman's back. Doomsday was going to kill superman from day one and everyone was in on it, including the public.

I could be wrong because it is hard to predict these things, but I think we'll see CGC 9.8 copies of this issue settle under that price. It may not be before the movie comes out though.

I agree that Vengeance of Bane is a good analog for the pricing arc that MoS 18 will take, but I believe Vengeance of Bane actually had a larger print run than MoS 18.

Bane debuted at # 60 on the top 100 sales chart for Jan. 1993, whereas Man of Steel # 18 was ranked # 79 on the top 100 sales chart for its month (Oct. 1992).

It's not a perfect comparison as they were released in different months, but the source for both stats is consistent & may be found here: http://www.hoknescomics.com/comicstats.htm

Your logic makes sense, but Batman was more popular than Superman at the time, so even one-shots outsold mainstream Superman issues.

I agree that Vengeance of Bane is a good analog for the pricing arc that MoS 18 will take, but I believe Vengeance of Bane actually had a larger print run than MoS 18.

Bane debuted at # 60 on the top 100 sales chart for Jan. 1993, whereas Man of Steel # 18 was ranked # 79 on the top 100 sales chart for its month (Oct. 1992).

It's not a perfect comparison as they were released in different months, but the source for both stats is consistent & may be found here: http://www.hoknescomics.com/comicstats.htm

Your logic makes sense, but Batman was more popular than Superman at the time, so even one-shots outsold mainstream Superman issues.

Could very well be. It wouldn't surprise me either, because like you say Superman sales back then were doormat status. I do remember my LCS bagging up copies of MOS 18 day of release and selling them for $6. It was a big deal from the jump.