• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Byrne is the godfather of it, but Adams was the guy that took it to the next level.  Back when my friends and I were raving about McFarlane, we were raving about Adams too.  McFarlane definitely was influenced by Art Adams. 

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is there a reason why Spiderman vs wolverine 1 does so well? Just curious

That book was a big deal when it came out if I recall correctly. I don't have too much nostalgia based collecting but I picked one up recently because I was a sophomore in college and that book was a big deal then.

Spoiler

Death of Ned Leeds and all.

Edited by Bird
it is a beautiful copy so I am listing it now, nostalgia be damned!

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is there a reason why Spiderman vs wolverine 1 does so well? Just curious

All I can come up with is "nostalgia factor".  When I was kid, that book was the shiznit.  Now, 30 years later, $15 for a copy doesn't seem bad at all.

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

That book was a big deal when it came out if I recall correctly. I don't have too much nostalgia based collecting but I picked one up recently because I was a sophomore in college and that book was a big deal then.

Hide contents

Death of Ned Leeds and all.

I forgot about the RIP of good ole Hob. Was he the original?

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

I forgot about the RIP of good ole Hob. Was he the original?

who knows? At the time yes but IIRC it was backtracked immediately due to the backlash! You know back then. Back bacon.

I don't believe Ned was retconned until the Hobgoblin Lives! mini came out years later which supposedly "set it straight" as to who was originally intended to be Hobby, but it's still Ned for me. Also, the panel where Spider-Man pulps Wolvie's face over and over again till he pounds his head through a headstone was boss. One of the more memorable sequences I've encountered. Fun book, for sure.

What a horrible cover though. The art wasn't all that either. I always thought that for such an epic book they could've gotten a bigger ticket  especially at that time.

that book was always a 10-12$ in NM for me. Has it gone significantly higher?

14 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I don't believe Ned was retconned until the Hobgoblin Lives! mini came out years later which supposedly "set it straight" as to who was originally intended to be Hobby, but it's still Ned for me. Also, the panel where Spider-Man pulps Wolvie's face over and over again till he pounds his head through a headstone was boss. One of the more memorable sequences I've encountered. Fun book, for sure.

Yeah, the tombstone getting wrecked was so bad . That book was such a win for me back then, my 2 favorites in just an all out brawl. 

There are are a lot of people that don't know about the death of Ned Leeds in that issue and believe that it is ASM 289. I have seen dealers at shows and shops mark 289 as the "death" and 2 times now have seen the vs issue in stock at the same time with no markings as to the death of Ned.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:29 PM, Aweandlorder said:

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:24 PM, ygogolak said:

I don't think his Hulk had started yet. 331 was April '87. Longshot was '85.

The reference to Longshot was Art Adams. Im pretty sure it took McFarlane a couple of years to realize how popular an artist Art was and how easily he can copy his style

Todd could draw faster too which was always the knock and Adams and he knew it which is why he stopped doing monthlies. I really enjoyed his stuff there just isn't enough of it I think. Man that Longshot was the book for awhile I couldn't even find a copy for awhile to read it.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 6/7/2017 at 4:06 PM, Kevin76 said:

Some of those McSpidey Marvel Tales books are super tough to find in HG, Only 2 9.8's have been graded of #225. No 9.6's or 9.4s 

On the ones I have they exhibit that "waviness" on the top of the book that many marvels with that type of paper did.  My Classic X-Men from around 41-50 have the same problem.  I wonder if that is what is holding them back.

Some books I am seeing moving well currently. No real surprises overall, but some books are really starting to move.

ASM 316 - This book is on fire passing $50 raw easily now in high grade.

X-Men 266 getting close $100 raw now surprised to see it going this high.

Marvel Age 82 - All over the place, but is selling well with high sales at around $30

ASM 344 - A once $15 book is now approaching $30-40 in NM+ raw

Wolverine 88 - Finally this book is seeing some attention. Couple of sales over $20 raw now.

Macross 1 - 1st Robotech - $20-40 in high grade.

Superman Annual 11 - I don't get this book, but others do it sells easily for $50 raw in NM.

Silver Surfer 44 and 45 still pulling $15-20 an issue.

On 2/11/2017 at 9:36 AM, Hekla said:

New Mutants 25 & 26 have jumped to over $40 for the pair NM raw due to the solid debut of the Legion show on FX. 

Yes, I agree.  I still like MGN #4, a lot of recent 9.8 sales lately.  NM has a lot of cool 1st appearances.  

30 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Some books I am seeing moving well currently. No real surprises overall, but some books are really starting to move.

Marvel Age 82 - All over the place, but is selling well with high sales at around $30

Wolverine 88 - Finally this book is seeing some attention. Couple of sales over $20 raw now.

Superman Annual 11 - I don't get this book, but others do it sells easily for $50 raw in NM.

Awesome info, thanks for sharing! I have a bunch of these. I have some Macross, I wonder which ones. (I took them out recently so I even know where they are! BONUS!)

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Nice list. I noticed that ASM 316 jumping too. Been on the lookout for NM copies but they are hard to come by for anything less than $30. Guess even that's a good deal now.

whats the wolverine issue? Can't be 88