• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Comicdave said:

Nobody's mentioned Infinity Inc. either, and he had a long run on that title. Also how about Coyote #11 which contains his 1st published work?

Yea, Coyote has been in the $40 range for a good bit now. Tough to find in the wild and really tough in 9.8.

I also seem to remember the art on a lot of those earlier DC being very boring for McFarlane in that his style hadn't really evolved yet, so they were never really sought after. It's maybe a little more line-y than some of his other contemporaries were doing, but pales in comparison to his Hulk work and obviously the Spidey stuff for which he is so revered.

12 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I also seem to remember the art on a lot of those earlier DC being very boring for McFarlane in that his style hadn't really evolved yet, so they were never really sought after. It's maybe a little more line-y than some of his other contemporaries were doing, but pales in comparison to his Hulk work and obviously the Spidey stuff for which he is so revered.

I have some Infinity Inc on ebay right now, cheap cheap (no 14, 16 and up). I recall that he had some great splash pages then, really caught my eye. Large figures with crazy capes (Obsidian?). I owned two pages at one time but sold them at comic art con when I took a table. That was my only sale, both to Doug from Comiclink. That alone should have told me something!

11 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Even without seeing it I think that would be the case. He was progressive for his time when shopping his art around trying to get hired. I would think the proliferation of Art Adams helped him during that time.

12 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

When he began Infinity Inc his style as it would later be known on Hulk and particularly on Spidey was still in its very formative stage. You can see the progression as his work on that series progresses. For me, the "classic" McFarlane style doesn't come into being until his Hulk run. 

24 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

When he began Infinity Inc his style as it would later be known on Hulk and particularly on Spidey was still in its very formative stage. You can see the progression as his work on that series progresses. For me, the "classic" McFarlane style doesn't come into being until his Hulk run. 

Infinity Inc. - Good embryonic McFarlane

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=27122&GSub=629

By Hulk 345 - Wow!

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=26573&GSub=1827

5 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Mcfarlane Hulk bad....like Leifeld feet/pouch...Baaaaaaddddddd

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I don't think his Hulk had started yet. 331 was April '87. Longshot was '85.

The reference to Longshot was Art Adams. Im pretty sure it took McFarlane a couple of years to realize how popular an artist Art was and how easily he can copy his style

1 minute ago, Aweandlorder said:

The reference to Longshot was Art Adams. Im pretty sure it took McFarlane a couple of years to realize how popular an artist Art was and how easily he can copy his style

Yea, gotcha.

8 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

That's just mean.  It is better than the dreaded T. McFarlane!

My first ASM300 was signed "T. McFarlane" on the splash page when I bought it. the LCS owner didn't even know it, he was quite surprised when I showed him while I was looking through it before buying it. Old-school signature in pen on the 1st page, it was still unpassably priced.