• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Is the Spider-man #1 Gold (not the UPC version) suddenly being confused for the  (actually hard-to-find) Gold UPC version?  I suppose if lots of buyers and sellers decided that either Gold was "in demand" the price could jump pretty quickly, but there's nothing special about the gold (no UPC) version.  

Is it because people assume Gold means "limited"?  ... but why 17 years later? hm

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Is the Spider-man #1 Gold (not the UPC version) suddenly being confused for the  (actually hard-to-find) Gold UPC version?  I suppose if lots of buyers and sellers decided that either Gold was "in demand" the price could jump pretty quickly, but there's nothing special about the gold (no UPC) version.  

Is it because people assume Gold means "limited"?  ... but why 17 years later? hm

Maybe they just like the gold cover more than the silver?  

6 hours ago, valiantman said:

I think it could be both.

I personally think that anything Copper McFarlane is getting a boost.. Bat 423 is also receiving a boost, a recent 9.8 sold for 275.00 and there are hardly many 1st prints on the bay (compared to other notable copper Mcfarlanes).. I would pick anything that the man did around that time that hasnt peaked yet.. inc his marvel tales cover run and maybe some hulk 330s... 

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I personally think that anything Copper McFarlane is getting a boost.. Bat 423 is also receiving a boost, a recent 9.8 sold for 275.00 and there are hardly many 1st prints on the bay (compared to other notable copper Mcfarlanes).. I would pick anything that the man did around that time that hasnt peaked yet.. inc his marvel tales cover run and maybe some hulk 330s... 

This (as much as I hate to agree . . .) :blush:

11 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

3 other 9.8 sales on ebay of Bats 423 in the $270 range over the last 90 days as well.

12 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Especially the Marvel Tales covers. 2c

52 minutes ago, mr_highgrade said:

Especially the Marvel Tales covers. 2c

yeah, I've been picking those up for a few years now whenever I find them in bargain boxes, and I STILL don't have many. Just not a ton of them floating around out there. Beautiful covers too!

People forget that McFarlane actually had a very short tenure at marvel/DC. Was it 5 years? and half that time he wasnt the superstar he was with books like Spidey & Hulk.

When he gets inducted in the comic book hall of fame (if it isnt actually happening now), these books will define the McFarlane golden age of comics. much like it did with Miller's DD, Batman & Wolverine.

I can assure you that books like ASM 300, Spiderman 1, Hulk 340 and Bats 423 will always be timeless if only for the fact that they have and will always be swiped from here on to eternity

Speaking of DD, dont forget McFarlane's DD 241, which never gets any mention anywhere as an early McF book

Edited by Aweandlorder

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:38 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Yep.   Anything he worked on is sellable. 

20 hours ago, ygogolak said:

No love for All-Star Squadron?

Nobody's mentioned Infinity Inc. either, and he had a long run on that title. Also how about Coyote #11 which contains his 1st published work?