• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Martin4 said:

Was that a rhetorical question?  The second one is double-signed.  In both cases, there was no 2nd bidder... just a buyer who wanted it at the asking price.  If another copy came up for sale, there's no guarantee there would be a buyer at those same prices.

22 hours ago, AGGIEZ said:

I get what you're saying here...but I disagree with some of this. As a buyer, I couldn't care less how much "legwork" you've put in or how many books you've sent in to get graded before you received that magic 9.8. I this example there are close to 200 on the census so it certainly isn't rare. Cost to slab is probably $25-30 all in (fee + shipping).

If I hit a 9.8 on first try, that doesn't mean my book is worth less than someone that hit it after 30+ rejects. The difference in the value may have a 'TV speculation' premium attached to it, because I certainly don't feel like Flash #1 (2007) is worth the $70 delta, but it certainly doesn't have a 'legwork/reject' premium associated with it.

It's the cost of pre-screens and books that come back 9.4 and 9.6 too factored into that $80-$100.  To get the 200 9.8s I suspect a lot more money was spent than 200 X slabbing cost, but pre-screens and failed slabs for the ones that didn't make the cut.

The price of oil is impacted by the cost of all those failed drilling sites too, not just what it costs to get the oil out of a productive site.

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Was that a rhetorical question?  The second one is double-signed.  In both cases, there was no 2nd bidder... just a buyer who wanted it at the asking price.  If another copy came up for sale, there's no guarantee there would be a buyer at those same prices.

Thats what I meant.  There is no guarantee that just because a book is 30 years old and it grades 9.8  that it is automatically a 100 dollar book.  The signature  book wasn't the best example .  I do think they both sold at a really high price and we all know that happens when someone really wants a particular book. Definitely not the norm. The third link that I attached seemed to have the more rational prices.

19 minutes ago, Martin4 said:

Thats what I meant.  There is no guarantee that just because a book is 30 years old and it grades 9.8  that it is automatically a 100 dollar book.  The signature  book wasn't the best example .  I do think they both sold at a really high price and we all know that happens when someone really wants a particular book. Definitely not the norm. The third link that I attached seemed to have the more rational prices.

Case in point...wish I could get $100+ for this bad boy...

7809252282_90430f2d40_c.jpg

Edited by AGGIEZ

4 hours ago, AGGIEZ said:

Case in point...wish I could get $100+ for this bad boy...

7809252282_90430f2d40_c.jpg

Agreed. Hundred dollar bills would be flowing for sure. Can someone tell me why this,http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spider-Man-13-CGC-9-8-Todd-Mcfarlane-Black-Costume-Cover-Homage-Amazing-Marvel-1-/262923468834?hash=item3d3775c022:g:hcsAAOSwealY48sm is selling consistently well over a hundred? I know McFarlane , homage etc.. but more than double the price of number one? Am I missing something? 

2 minutes ago, Martin4 said:

Agreed. Hundred dollar bills would be flowing for sure. Can someone tell me why this,http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spider-Man-13-CGC-9-8-Todd-Mcfarlane-Black-Costume-Cover-Homage-Amazing-Marvel-1-/262923468834?hash=item3d3775c022:g:hcsAAOSwealY48sm is selling consistently well over a hundred? I know McFarlane , homage etc.. but more than double the price of number one? Am I missing something? 

honestly it just looks cool.  I think that's it.

6 minutes ago, revat said:

That's for sure. I do like it also. 

7 minutes ago, revat said:

2 hours ago, revat said:

I think it's also the first instance of this sort of  homage to #1, which seems to have become a cottage industry in and of itself. It always sells well for me raw, an easy $5-$10, while the other issues in this run (McF was 1-14, right.) linger in dollar bins. I pick them up when I see them, which isn't often anymore.

Plus, as slabs go, it would display nicely with all of the versions of #1, make a nice wall piece. May do that myself! :idea:

5 hours ago, Martin4 said:

5 hours ago, Martin4 said:

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I think it's also the first instance of this sort of  homage to #1, which seems to have become a cottage industry in and of itself. It always sells well for me raw, an easy $5-$10, while the other issues in this run (McF was 1-14, right.) linger in dollar bins. I pick them up when I see them, which isn't often anymore.

Not only does it look cool, but it's seriously harder to find in HG than the #1.

16 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

:slapfight:

I love that book! And I'm fairly sure I could cover the $1 I bought it for and the slab fees if I truly wanted to. :wink:

This book to me was the first "modern heating up" book. It had all the signs of what were used to see in the market today: beautiful cover, new hot artist, new hot independent publisher, low print run, 2nd print variant, limited edition variant.. All these trends were new and very fresh. 

U just can't explain it to somebody today who was brought into this 3 decade well oiled machine

1 hour ago, AGGIEZ said:

:slapfight:

I love that book! And I'm fairly sure I could cover the $1 I bought it for and the slab fees if I truly wanted to. :wink:

48 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

This book to me was the first "modern heating up" book. It had all the signs of what were used to see in the market today: beautiful cover, new hot artist, new hot independent publisher, low print run, 2nd print variant, limited edition variant.. All these trends were new and very fresh. 

U just can't explain it to somebody today who was brought into this 3 decade well oiled machine

Kids these days . . .:preach:

lol

On 5/17/2017 at 0:51 AM, divad said:

Not only does it look cool, but it's seriously harder to find in HG than the #1.

Did not know it was hard to get in the higher grade. I was a little worried because I recently subbed some.  CGC shipped  last night and  lucky for me I went 2 for 2 9.8 on the #13.Very happy-cant wait to check them out.