• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

A system that requires constant Internet connection? No thanks...

What happens to all those games once they pull he plug on the system six to eight years later? I remember the controversary when they pulled the plug on Xbox live for the original Xbox. Better hope the next Xbox is backwards ompstible...and they do not lock out used games.

Sorry but you have been misinformed. You do not need to be online all the time and you will be able to buy used games.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4352542/xbox-one-always-online-not-required-used-games-work

Let's begin at the beginning.

Will it be backwards compatible? No, confirmed thus far by Gamespot. Of course, this is the same site that announced it will require an Internet connection before the press release.

Will there be a fee for used games? Unclear, but looking to be that way. This means the preowned market is severely limited on this console.

Either way it won't matter. I won't buy or sell it...oh wait, as a dealer I may not be able to...no loss!

It could hurt used games somewhat, but if the fee is small (say 100 MS points) then it's no big deal. What this would affect is the act of renting games, so Game fly may be in trouble.

MS has to be careful, if you make it difficult to sell/buy used games it will hurt stores like Game Stop, and if you make them mad they will refuse to sell the system. That is bad business.

What happens eight years after the life span of the console and the next Xbox...err...Xbox Two by Microsoft's numbering...is not backwards compatible? Do you use those $50 games as coasters?

What happens to all those games once they pull he plug on the system six to eight years later? I remember the controversary when they pulled the plug on Xbox live for the original Xbox. Better hope the next Xbox is backwards ompstible...and they do not lock out used games.

Sorry but you have been misinformed. You do not need to be online all the time and you will be able to buy used games.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4352542/xbox-one-always-online-not-required-used-games-work

Will it be backwards compatible? No, confirmed thus far by Gamespot. Of course, this is the same site that announced it will require an Internet connection before the press release.

Will there be a fee for used games? Unclear, but looking to be that way. This means the preowned market is severely limited on this console.

Either way it won't matter. I won't buy or sell it...oh wait, as a dealer I may not be able to...no loss!

MS has confirmed that it will not be backward compatible. Which is no big deal to me. I was excited that the 360 was able to play some of the first Xbox's games and then I never played any of the first gen games. I know for some people this is important, but for me it's not a big deal. I'll still have the the 360 in the house so if I want to play an old game I'll be able to.

Old games find their way to the system. I downloaded the first Haol game to the 360 when it was released. I also found an old PS1 game Vigilante 8, and downloaded that. So the old discs may not work, but if the game is popular it will find it's way to the system.

I think we need to wait until MS tells us what the cost will be for a used game before we determine how much it will hurt places like Gamestop. Also correct me if I am wrong but isn't Sony talking about the same thing with used games?

I like the ability to load the game to the hard drive and then and then never have to put the disc in to play the game. I am going to guess that you will be able to purchase a game on the MS Live and download it to the machine. That is something I would use.

I know they have a deal with the NFL, but not sure what that entails. I also want to know more about watching TV through the Xbox. I may be able to send my set-top-box back to Verizon.

Finally live action Halo TV show.

Awe man I loved the dreamcast.

PS2 rocked.

PS3 does too but it was very expensive and I bought it anyway and enjoyed many years of service from my launch unit that is still going today. Worth it for the best bluray player you can buy that also plays games. I had actually gotten rid of my xbox 360 but had to buy another one when halo 4 came out.

This last gen was more fragmented, but I bet the next has a more clear winner...or maybe game consoles are kind of over since most of what they do has nothing to do with games and there are other cheaper boxes that do everything else.

If PS4 had Halo I might never buy another microsoft console.

MS has confirmed that it will not be backward compatible. Which is no big deal to me. I was excited that the 360 was able to play some of the first Xbox's games and then I never played any of the first gen games. I know for some people this is important, but for me it's not a big deal. I'll still have the the 360 in the house so if I want to play an old game I'll be able to.

Old games find their way to the system. I downloaded the first Haol game to the 360 when it was released. I also found an old PS1 game Vigilante 8, and downloaded that. So the old discs may not work, but if the game is popular it will find it's way to the system.

I think we need to wait until MS tells us what the cost will be for a used game before we determine how much it will hurt places like Gamestop. Also correct me if I am wrong but isn't Sony talking about the same thing with used games?

I like the ability to load the game to the hard drive and then and then never have to put the disc in to play the game. I am going to guess that you will be able to purchase a game on the MS Live and download it to the machine. That is something I would use.

I know they have a deal with the NFL, but not sure what that entails. I also want to know more about watching TV through the Xbox. I may be able to send my set-top-box back to Verizon.

Problem is, per GameSpot:

All those downloaded Xbox Live games you have will NOT transfer to the new system and you will need (thus far) to allow the Xbox One access to an internet connection at least once a day.

This is very sad news in my opinion. I will not be buying. Then again, if it wasn't for the 60 GB backwards compatible PS3 that I bought two of brand new; I wouldn't own a PS3 system either...

All those downloaded Xbox Live games you have will NOT transfer to the new system and you will need (thus far) to allow the Xbox One access to an internet connection at least once a day.

This is very sad news in my opinion. I will not be buying. Then again, if it wasn't for the 60 GB backwards compatible PS3 that I bought two of brand new; I wouldn't own a PS3 system either...

The once a day (or week or month what ever it is) doesn't bother me. It will make the system worthless once the servers are turned off but that's the direction the industry is going. If I have the ability to load the game to my HD and play it without the disc, what prevents me from just giving the game to all my friends? I don't see it as a big deal, but that's me.

The PS4 wont be backward compatible either so will you be passing on that system too?

I also think this will be the last generation that has a physical copy of a game. I can see the PS5 and the Xbox [whatever] having a big HD and no DVD player. That would be a big shift in the industry.

Over all the new Xbox looks good, and I do plan on purchasing one. All I need to know is the release date.

The once a day (or week or month what ever it is) doesn't bother me. It will make the system worthless once the servers are turned off but that's the direction the industry is going. If I have the ability to load the game to my HD and play it without the disc, what prevents me from just giving the game to all my friends? I don't see it as a big deal, but that's me.

The PS4 wont be backward compatible either so will you be passing on that system too?

I also think this will be the last generation that has a physical copy of a game. I can see the PS5 and the Xbox [whatever] having a big HD and no DVD player. That would be a big shift in the industry.

Over all the new Xbox looks good, and I do plan on purchasing one. All I need to know is the release date.

The game disc loads the files onto hard drive but to play it you need to use the activation code. Once code is used once it cannot be used again..

So go ahead and lend the disc to friends. In order for them to activate game they need to buy a new code wich microsoft will be happy to sell them at a very high price

The game disc loads the files onto hard drive but to play it you need to use the activation code. Once code is used once it cannot be used again..

So go ahead and lend the disc to friends. In order for them to activate game they need to buy a new code wich microsoft will be happy to sell them at a very high price

I wasn't very clear in my previous post, the code would be used to prevent people from just passing the game around and coping it to their HD. It;s a frm of DRM since once the new activation code is used the old copy will not work. From what I understand Sony plans on doing the same thing so unless there is a big groundswell, I don't see this changing. MS has said that there is a difference between sharing and resale, not sure what it is but that's what I have read.

Of course there is an opening here. It is assumed that both MS and Sony want to "charge" for a used game. What happens if one company announces their plan and how much it will cost, and then the other says their plan is no fee on used games? That would be big news. The video game equivalent of the DC implosion.

This is pretty interesting

20130525_gdc970.png

Verry cool graphic, thanks for posting. It's amazing how Playstation just blew everyone out of the water...now, today, it's pretty even between the 3 systems. Good stuff

Sony did say that they are planning on make PS4 able to play past generation games in the future using GAKAI. M$ made it clear they won't be bringing or planning on make any xbox or 360 available for the xbox one(worst name).

I bought these a long time ago from a former konami employee. Kept them under wraps til now but since I showed them on another forum, what the heck I thought some here might like to see it as well. Most all of this stuff was literally thrown into trash cans (I have heard first hand from people who were there :( ) so I am happy to at least have a little something from that period in time.

prelim castlevania 4 cover http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/sealed99/media/sc41_zps3772da4d.jpg.html

unused prelim castlevania 4 cover

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/sealed99/media/sc42_zps0e4e2151.jpg.html

tmnt 4 turtles in time prelim cover

http://nintendoagemedia.com/users/98/photobucket/6167633D-A774-D442-D3012A4B67043836.png

Thanks for sharing dude, these are awesome. :cloud9:

When the hell am I ever going to find something cool?

-slym

(shrug) You must be looking in the wrong places? I just checked between the couch cushions, and lo and behold!

P1000163_zps890725a5.jpg

:o

ANDREW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana: COI unchained. cgcmod0 has made me a better man.

Xbox One is on my Xmas shopping list.

I'm waiting on E3 to decide which console I get this holiday. It's not looking good for Xbox right now. I don't need a cable box that plays games, I just want a dedicated gaming device with awesome software. And in terms of specs, it looks like the PS4 is the powerhouse.

I guess we'll see next month.