• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

Sorry,but I'm not buying a console that charges a "fee" for borrowing a friend's game :P

PS4 for me :banana:

I'm just hoping the PS4 doesn't have a similar system. It hasn't been confirmed or denied by Sony yet.

If Sony decides not to pt up any barriers for used games, the PS4 will blow the Xbox One out of the water.

Sorry,but I'm not buying a console that charges a "fee" for borrowing a friend's game :P

You may have to settle for a Wii U then...Sony has stated they may implement a similar system.

This is the future. Those that dislike Nintendo may soon find that they are the only true gaming company left. I feel sorry for those that bought a PS Vita right now. The lack of games is killing that system and I really enjoyed Uncharted.

You may have to settle for a Wii U then...Sony has stated they may implement a similar system.

This is the future. Those that dislike Nintendo may soon find that they are the only true gaming company left. I feel sorry for those that bought a PS Vita right now. The lack of games is killing that system and I really enjoyed Uncharted.

:cry:

Not quite. The Wii-U is an absolute disaster, and developers have no interest in making games for it. It's about 4 years too late.

Even with these changes to the Xbox and PS4, Nintendo is in big trouble. They are out of touch with third parties, as evidenced by the Wii's atrocious software line-up. People will buy the console that has games, and the PS4 and Xbox One are where the games are.

If this used game thing turns out to be a costly mistake, all it takes is a system update to fix it. Nintendo needs a new console to fix its problems.

And btw, for the first time in the show's history, Nintendo will not have a conference at E3 this year. The reason? Because it will be a colossal waste of time and money considering they have NOTHING to show. That's huge.

Edited by COI

Not quite. The Wii-U is an absolute disaster, and developers have no interest in making games for it. It's about 4 years too late.

Even with these changes to the Xbox and PS4, Nintendo is in big trouble. They are out of touch with third parties, as evidenced by the Wii's atrocious software line-up. People will buy the console that has games, and the PS4 and Xbox One are where the games are.

If this used game thing turns out to be a costly mistake, all it takes is a system update to fix it. Nintendo needs a new console to fix its problems.

And btw, for the first time in the show's history, Nintendo will not have a conference at E3 this year. The reason? Because it will be a colossal waste of time and money considering they have NOTHING to show. That's huge.

Hello COI,

To be fully honest (even as a dealer), I could care less one way or another. Keep in mind the 3DS was also called 'dead on arrival.' I am just curious if all those 'outraged gamers' who are upset over the whole 'pay per play' used software issue are still gong to supposedly boycott these systems when they see the new 'insert favorite franchise game here.'

I can tell you however, that if it is in their business plan to charge for used game use, they will not opt to replace it. They would if anything just lower the cost. Microsoft is all about control. This move is hardly surprising and Sony has been known to play follow the leader all too often...

If it is truly called PS 4 shouldn't I be able to play a PS 2 or PS 3 game on it? I can see dropping the PS One emulation, but come on; are they building a brand or not?

Hello COI,

To be fully honest (even as a dealer), I could care less one way or another. Keep in mind the 3DS was also called 'dead on arrival.' I am just curious if all those 'outraged gamers' who are upset over the whole 'pay per play' used software issue are still gong to supposedly boycott these systems when they see the new 'insert favorite franchise game here.'

I can tell you however, that if it is in their business plan to charge for used game use, they will not opt to replace it. They would if anything just lower the cost. Microsoft is all about control. This move is hardly surprising and Sony has been known to play follow the leader all too often...

If it is truly called PS 4 shouldn't I be able to play a PS 2 or PS 3 game on it? I can see dropping the PS One emulation, but come on; are they building a brand or not?

Fair comment on the 3DS, but the main difference is that Nintendo has always dominated the handheld space. Sony's handhelds have always been amazing pieces of tech that no one really asked for. The Vita is amazing, but it has no games. It seems as though the Vita may serve as the tablet for the PS4 though, so that remains to be seen.

Backwards compatibility will exist on both Microsoft and Sony's consoles, but it will be in the form of DLC and streaming. So the branding and support for past and present products will be there, but at a cost.

The publishers are seemingly trying to move away from physical retail boxes and go exclusively digital. And judging by the Xbox One conference, Microsoft is trying to dominate the living room, and they're going off the rails in the process. After the Xbox conference, Sony's stock price went up. So ultimately, it really isn't clear who will have the leg up going into next gen. E3 sure will be interesting this year.

Backwards compatibility is expensive if it requires a whole different architecture (chip). Thats why the ps3 was 600 bucks when it came out. It had the ps2 on a chip in the machine and did ps1 emulation with software I believe. The ps4 is a whole new easier to program for system that is not compatible with ps3 software. They would have to put a ps3 and ps2 chip in the machine and drive up the costs to offer backwards compatibility. They are working on some kind of cloud based emulation for old games, but not every game will probably be available and no word if you have to repurchase the game to access it in the cloud or if you can some how prove you own it and play it from the cloud for free.

Honestly I have the first version of the ps3 and I have never put a ps2 game in it more than once or twice.

The part that sucks is the downloadable games on live and psn that dont carry over. It seems like those should be easy to make work.

Backwards compatibility is expensive if it requires a whole different architecture (chip). Thats why the ps3 was 600 bucks when it came out. It had the ps2 on a chip in the machine and did ps1 emulation with software I believe. The ps4 is a whole new easier to program for system that is not compatible with ps3 software. They would have to put a ps3 and ps2 chip in the machine and drive up the costs to offer backwards compatibility. They are working on some kind of cloud based emulation for old games, but not every game will probably be available and no word if you have to repurchase the game to access it in the cloud or if you can some how prove you own it and play it from the cloud for free.

Honestly I have the first version of the ps3 and I have never put a ps2 game in it more than once or twice.

The part that sucks is the downloadable games on live and psn that dont carry over. It seems like those should be easy to make work.

What incentive would they have to carry it over to the new system when they can just make you buy it again? In my opinion the best emulation process was the Wii and the Wii U's Virtual Console system. You could even back up the games on San Disk cards if needed. The games are also extremely affordable. Paying five dollars for an NES game is cheap in my opinion...

I like the virtual console and ps1 and ps2 games you can buy on psn they are all affordable and it offers a legal way to play your old favorites without having to purchase a vintage system and keep old cartridges and disks around. What stinks is when you have to buy the same game over and over when they change systems.

Picked up a killer snes lot at a garage sale. Paid up for it too. Lots of games I needed and a few good titles to sell to subsidize the purchase.

Chrono trigger, secret of mana & evermore, turtles 4, contra 3, final fantasy 2 & 3, Zelda, the console and other games.

Who needs next gen when I still have these great titles to catch up on!

Re the topic at hand I hate the notion of a dead after market and no sharing. I am not an Xbox guy so wasn't going to pick the one up anyway but no way of consider it now.

The publishers are seemingly trying to move away from physical retail boxes and go exclusively digital. And judging by the Xbox One conference, Microsoft is trying to dominate the living room, and they're going off the rails in the process. After the Xbox conference, Sony's stock price went up. So ultimately, it really isn't clear who will have the leg up going into next gen. E3 sure will be interesting this year.

Valve has been extremely successful in the PC market with Steam and digital downloads. Games are cheaper as well. Don't see why MS and Sony don't go that route. I realize that some gamers will be alienated b/c of lack of/poor internet access, but I'm sure that number is in steady decline.

Its been hard to justify paying $59.99 for an xbox game when its $10 cheaper on or near release through Steam.

Hello COI,

Fair comment on the 3DS, but the main difference is that Nintendo has always dominated the handheld space. Sony's handhelds have always been amazing pieces of tech that no one really asked for. The Vita is amazing, but it has no games. It seems as though the Vita may serve as the tablet for the PS4 though, so that remains to be seen.

Backwards compatibility will exist on both Microsoft and Sony's consoles, but it will be in the form of DLC and streaming. So the branding and support for past and present products will be there, but at a cost.

Microsoft said they don't plan on having backwards compatibility for xbox one when at all now or in the future. Like Sony is planning to do with gakai so the ps4 to be able to play all games.

Valve has been extremely successful in the PC market with Steam and digital downloads. Games are cheaper as well. Don't see why MS and Sony don't go that route. I realize that some gamers will be alienated b/c of lack of/poor internet access, but I'm sure that number is in steady decline.

Its been hard to justify paying $59.99 for an xbox game when its $10 cheaper on or near release through Steam.

The internet infrastructure isn't there yet. You'd be surprised how many console gamers still don't go online with their machines. PC and consoles share many games, but they are two very different markets. There's overlap of course, but there's little benefit to Sony and Microsoft abandoning the retail space to try and do what Steam does. People who invest in a high end PC to play games are also more likely to be tech savvy, and by extension have access to a reliable, quick internet. There is a lot of money in the "casuals" who just want a box to play the newest Call of Duty or Fifa or Madden on with their buddies.

It will get there eventually, but it's too soon for Sony and Microsoft to go that route.

The internet infrastructure isn't there yet. You'd be surprised how many console gamers still don't go online with their machines. PC and consoles share many games, but they are two very different markets. There's overlap of course, but there's little benefit to Sony and Microsoft abandoning the retail space to try and do what Steam does. People who invest in a high end PC to play games are also more likely to be tech savvy, and by extension have access to a reliable, quick internet. There is a lot of money in the "casuals" who just want a box to play the newest Call of Duty or Fifa or Madden on with their buddies.

It will get there eventually, but it's too soon for Sony and Microsoft to go that route.

The Internet as we know it at present was never designed for all the things that we use it for. I understand that there will be some alienation of gamers b/c of lack of internet access, but there were rumors prior to the formal announcement that the xbox one would require an always on internet connection.

I find it hard to believe that MS and Sony didn't get slightly worried at the rumors of a Steam Box, especially with Steam's big picture being so easy to use. As a longtime PC gamer, I can speak from experience that you can have a quality gaming experience, especially at 1080 or 720 television resolutions without having to fork out money for high end PC components.

Key point for me is going to be price point. If these systems start out at $499, I think I'm going to try to build a nice HTPC for general gaming, blu ray playback, and netflix/youtube streaming at the same or even lower price point.

i need a 2nd bluray player and a decent one with streaming runs 150 to 200...might as well pick up a ps4 if its 399 or so. I dont think sony is going to come out of the gate with a 600 system again.

I think at 399 i'm a buyer. Any higher than that and I still feel like I could build a decent htpc.

Here's something I came across today while looking for something else. Thought some of you guys might enjoy seeing it. Internal capcom correspondence re mega man.

P1000279_zps76829cef.jpg

P1000280_zps290e8749.jpg

yesterday i played Deadpool, Dirt 2 and Last of Us, all are brilliant IMHO, and will be purchasing all of them, also bought myself a Neo Geo X yesterday, love the retro stuff, wanted it most for the Bowling