• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey when is Silver Age going to Crash?

441 posts in this topic

JC why are you speaking like this? Weve been here for 15000 posts between us, dude! But you resort to name calling almost immediately.

Because you fell into the "can't make a point, so I'll insult JC for collecting Bronze Age comics, rather than "investment class" CGC 9.8 early Silver.." trap yet again, so I fired back. I collect Bronze because that's what I grew up with, and still view it as a fun hobby, and not some bizarre stocks-and-bonds type of deal.

As I've said many times, I think people who "invest" in comics circa 2004 are smoking some mean crack, so I don't see why buying a CGC 9.8 copy of Avengers 65 at 40X Guide is viewed as a "badge of honor".

If I set fire to a roll of twenties, do I get to join?

JC, I've edited my post...Sorry. Also, although I did have an FF 48 back then, I am thinking I did sell it for more than $3.00. crazy.gif

It couldn't have been much more, it didn't book over $5-$10.

I've been collecting comic books since I was a kid in the 70's, and I've never, ever had a problem paying market rates for any book, and I own all kinds, although I concentrate on Bronze now. I'd check the OS, find a nice example, and pay the piper.

Through the 1980's and 1990's, I've only had one "bad feeling" and sold off my Valiants circa 1992. Other than that, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's... I never saw anything on the back issue market that made me feel the end was near.

That changed with the advent of CGC, just as it did in graded sportscards and coins, and prices moved to speculator levels. These are far beyond the limits of reality, and it is absolutely bizarre that people are "investing" in CGC comics at nosebleed prices. These are higher prices than we've ever seen at the high-end, and just like graded coins and sportscards, the wild prices cannot last.

Sorry you sold in 1985, but I was laughing at the Independents, actively buying older Marvels, and usually getting hassled for buying a HG runs of Bronze ASM or X-Men. I didn't believe we had hit a peak, or anywhere near that in 1985, so to portray "comic prices peaked in 1985" as a popular outlook and similar to the speculator-induced price insanity of 2001-2004 is insulting to say the least.

Its amazing what a fountain of misinformation you are,when it comes down to it.

I'll bet you $100 US that FF 48 sold for way more than $5-10 in NM in 1987/88. You accept?

BTW- Earlier in this thread you talk about how no-one considered comics as investments until the mid-late 80s,yet Overstreet listed te best comic investments,with the yearly returns since at least 1978.

Your last few weeks of posting is really making me wonder if somehow MMMMMarvelous has hijacked JCs id. You whine and complain constanty,bragg about what a great job you'd do if only you were in charge,and constantly belittle the very authority you claim to respect.

Do we have a bet?

I'll bet you $100 US that FF 48 sold for way more than $5-10 in NM

Okay, I''ll take that bet AS PER OUR AGREED statement of "20 years ago". Yep, he sold all his Silver Age comics, 20 YEARS AGO, which for the math-challenged like Shad, would be approximately 1984.

Go drag out your 1984 OS and see how far off I am...

JC why are you speaking like this? Weve been here for 15000 posts between us, dude! But you resort to name calling almost immediately.

Because you fell into the "can't make a point, so I'll insult JC for collecting Bronze Age comics, rather than "investment class" CGC 9.8 early Silver.." trap yet again, so I fired back. I collect Bronze because that's what I grew up with, and still view it as a fun hobby, and not some bizarre stocks-and-bonds type of deal.

As I've said many times, I think people who "invest" in comics circa 2004 are smoking some mean crack, so I don't see why buying a CGC 9.8 copy of Avengers 65 at 40X Guide is viewed as a "badge of honor".

If I set fire to a roll of twenties, do I get to join?

you exaggerate my comment, as usual. But I get your point. I used ' "s" ' around "Modern Age ghetto" to signal that the phrase is open to disagreement and not unanymously accepted by all. And left 'Ghetto' in there which perhaps should have been "village" or something more benign since it has negative connotations... But me using that term is no excuse for your personal attacks, eh? Ive never called you names even though we have disagreed repeatedly about the future.

anyway. collecting Bronze is fine... and right now, its more than fine, its the place to be. And that was my point too - - that you are uncomfportable with the competition for these cherished books of late driving up the prices... Youd like it better if you wee the only one buying them at the same prices you are used to. Of course, I still dont understand what you are so mad about. Either way , you win. If they crash, you get to buy more. If they skyrocket, the multiples you have stockpiled will, (in spite of your efforts!!) bring you untold riches. A win-win situation for you.

one more thought (and you know this because youve read all my posts on the subject) Stop putting woeds in my mouth. Regardless of my optimism for the early key books in 9.2 amd 9.4 (which are not going to swell in the census as you believe to a point that every store and dealer and collector will have one for sale killing their value) I have never stated that 9.8s for 30x guide or whatever (lets say 10x a 9.4) is a good idea!!! And, the same goes for Bronze 9.8s. THIS is the area I see a correction over time, if not a collapse. But not 20K for a 9.2 TOS 39. That "investment" may not double any time soon.... but that is money that is recoupable, if necessary.

9.8s will be seen to be only a hair better than 9.6s and 9.4s and eventually yield only a smallish bounty over "lesser" killer copies. I see no earthly reason to pay so much more for so much less damage. Somehow, if CGC were computerized with a standard set of parameters and no human interaction, I might buy into the difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 copy.... but thats unlikely to be sure.

So,how you going to make the payment? Want to contribute it to DAM60s upcoming fund raiser? Or good ol US cash,none of that monopoly money if you would.

Or are we going to be subjected to six pages of back-tracking like we had in the Metropolis thread where your ton of 9.8 Metro books turned into 1 single book.

1986 Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, p. 123

1986ff.jpg

The only old one I have is Overstreet #10 for 1980-1981, and it shows FF 48 for $24.00 in 'mint'. (also only breaks out prices for Good, Fine, Mint: $8, $16, $24). 893whatthe.gif

This page from 1986 means only a $4 increase in 6 years?!

The only old one I have is Overstreet #10 for 1980-1981, and it shows FF 48 for $24.00 in 'mint'. (also only breaks out prices for Good, Fine, Mint: $8, $16, $24).

This is all from my memory of 1987, but I remember this pretty clearly. In 1987, I graduated from high school and went off to college. The Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer were my favorite characters at the time, so I decided to take the plunge and buy a NM copy of FF48. The only store that had one wanted 1.5X guide for it, and I ended up paying $75. So, that would mean that in 1987, guide was $50. I'm not sure if that makes sense, given the 1986 Overstreet at $28.

This is all from my memory of 1987, but I remember this pretty clearly. In 1987, I graduated from high school and went off to college. The Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer were my favorite characters at the time, so I decided to take the plunge and buy a NM copy of FF48. The only store that had one wanted 1.5X guide for it, and I ended up paying $75. So, that would mean that in 1987, guide was $50. I'm not sure if that makes sense, given the 1986 Overstreet at $28.

1987 Guides was $28 and 1988 Guide was $31.

I'll bet you $100 US that FF 48 sold for way more than $5-10 in NM

Okay, I''ll take that bet AS PER OUR AGREED statement of "20 years ago". Yep, he sold all his Silver Age comics, 20 YEARS AGO, which for the math-challenged like Shad, would be approximately 1984.

Go drag out your 1984 OS and see how far off I am...

Joe - haven't you learned by now that you can't just make up stuff around here? makepoint.gif

Personally, I think the money should go to DAM's fundraiser, but pick your poison!

Overstreet Price Guide #13, 1983-1984:

590476-ff48_1984.jpg

590476-ff48_1984.jpg.c275034f5391b9be613eb5c216559ae6.jpg

I realize what he was getting at aman, he was however trying to make his point at the expense of my opinion. What his point really boils down to is fear, ooooh dont sell now I sold in the 80's and I'm crying in my cornflakes now, dont be like me.

I'm not big on fear, once I sell I sell and dont look back. I'm feeling a large impulse to sell my silver the money is so good right now and I'm not even in comics for the money. Just one mans opinion.

I realize what he was getting at aman, he was however trying to make his point at the expense of my opinion. What his point really boils down to is fear, ooooh dont sell now I sold in the 80's and I'm crying in my cornflakes now, dont be like me.

I'm not big on fear, once I sell I sell and dont look back. I'm feeling a large impulse to sell my silver the money is so good right now and I'm not even in comics for the money. Just one mans opinion.

Well I don't know. That seems a bit harsh and I'm sorry you took it that way. I'm certainly not "crying in my cornflakes" as I've bought back all the books I sold in better condition. The only point I was making was I didn't agree with your opinion. I certainly wasn't trying to come across as one who didn't respect your opinion...because I do. I just don't agree with it....Primarily because of what I experienced.

K'? grin.gif

1986 Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, p. 123

1986ff.jpg

The only old one I have is Overstreet #10 for 1980-1981, and it shows FF 48 for $24.00 in 'mint'. (also only breaks out prices for Good, Fine, Mint: $8, $16, $24). 893whatthe.gif

Its $6 in five years, an increase of 25%,not terrible,but not great.

In the 1983 guide it lists for $30,so it had a $6 increase in two years,then stagnated for awhile. This is about the time Robert Bell sold out to Koch-Dolgoff-Koch and they may have flooded the market. I know I was buying VG copies of 48-50 on the cheap from them and selling them on a steady basis.Someone please remind me of when the MH2 collection first hit the market,please.

The '83 guide also features an ad from Geppi's Comic World that offers Fine or better FF48s for $30 plus shipping.

While checking out the June 17,1983 CBG,heres some offerings for sale:

Wolverine 1-$1

GS X-men 1(pristine)-$55 LSH286-$5

MTU1-$20

Iron Fist1-$3,2thru 15-$1.50

Batman1(VG-F) $1800

Original Art For Sale

Kirby Cap America pages from$75 to 150

Heck Ironman pages-$60-90

Kirby pre-hero $75-210

Giffen LSH pages-$50-65

Mylars for19.50 per 50

Mylites for 9.5 cents each,100 minimum

BTW-This issue,#500,has an original John Byrne color inside poster that is also featured on the cover.A wonderful color Barks poster of "Worth a whole months wages" is also inside,as well as a note tat the original painting is for sale for $20,000

And no less then 15 ads offering comics to the public at wholesale rates with most having a $50 a month minimum.

Quite a good read.Cover price was $1.00

The local comic mega dealer in my area is out of the CGC market. They used have hundreds of books. I was there last week. They have a short box of keys. Every slabbed book was sold over the past year. According to the manager, they feel the CGC market is way over inflated(really!), and they got out while they could.

Sorry, I'm late addressing this but Frances has left me with power at my house (glad I got to go to work today). grin.gif

I really don't expect LCS to have many CGC books because:

1) They are into selling books for a profit, not to hold for investment.

2) They have probably slabbed their best books, and haven't got anymore unslabbed CGC worthy collections in the past year or two.

3) The major national dealers are really the one's who will have CGC books as they know the market value of these books and probably will pay a lot higher percentage of market value to obtain CGC graded books.