• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey when is Silver Age going to Crash?

441 posts in this topic

I'll bet you $100 US that FF 48 sold for way more than $5-10 in NM

Okay, I''ll take that bet AS PER OUR AGREED statement of "20 years ago". Yep, he sold all his Silver Age comics, 20 YEARS AGO, which for the math-challenged like Shad, would be approximately 1984.

Go drag out your 1984 OS and see how far off I am...

um..........JC, you stated above that the 1984 overstreet must be used. we have shown you that the 83/84 and 84/85 OS both had the book at $30.

YET, you now continue to quote the 1986 OS price of $28 in your comparison. i don't think it works that way.

and while i agree that in absolute dollar terms a 20-25 dollar difference seems small, the reality is that the actual OS guide prices were 600%-300% more than what you quoted and BET on. and since you had such a hissy fit with Metro's grading over a handful of books with miniscule dollar amount values, i would opine that to you, a $20-25 difference does, indeed, seem to be meaningful.

you seem to have accepted this bet on the basis that you couldn't lose because you would simply define the results as not be sufficiently "way more".

if you wanna "talk the talk" you gotta "walk the walk"....... devil.gif

you seem to have accepted this bet on the basis that you couldn't lose because you would simply define the results as not be sufficiently "way more".

.. WIN or LOSE I might add. After all, only a simpleton would think you can quantify something like "WAY MORE" or "MUCH HIGHER" in terms of real numbers.

I treated it like a macho joke between two forum members, and was quite surprised to see how serious people are taking it. I bet these are the same queers yelling "take it out" when two guys make comments about their girth. foreheadslap.gif

I really dont want to get involved here.... JC, or youll just say that Im a cretin who's piling on....

but you really invite the scorn and "abuse" you get around here.... and then you complain and lash out at your "attackers".

Wouldnt it be a lot easier to just get-along with people, even the cretins?? We all do.. Its not hard. People disagree all the time without name-calling...

This was a simple error of memory on your part and youve blown it all out of proportion twisting yourself into a denial and defense... and for what??? Just looks bad, man!!!! Id like to say "grow up" or something.... but I sense youd take that as a personal attack and come back at me with more insults. So how about "Relax, JC"

Instead of taking the bet with or without your "out" planned in advance, you could have looked it up yurself and said "wow, didnt remember it as being up to 'x' already in 1984 - -but you know what I meant anyway"....

try it sometime.

Instead of taking the bet with or without your "out" planned in advance, you could have looked it up yurself and said "wow, didnt remember it as being up to 'x' already in 1984 - -but you know what I meant anyway"....

Because to be totally honest, the wording was far from serious, and I just fired back. I am very surprised at how seriously and vehemently some of the people are taking this, but I also realize that many will take any opportunity, no matter how slight, to slam and berate me.

If Shad had worded it in a serious, bet-worthy manner, such as "I'll bet you that FF 48 was over $30 NM in 1985" then damn tootin' I would have looked it up before tossing a macho-joke reply back.

Wouldnt it be a lot easier to just get-along with people, even the cretins?? We all do.. Its not hard. People disagree all the time without name-calling...

he's got a point vince. gossip.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif unless you like to name call. idea.gif

Not refering to JC, but some people have to name call because that is they only way they know how to express themselves. Instead of being able to rationalize an arguement, they name call and confuse the issue.

Anyone else notice how nice the boards have been since MK has been gone? cloud9.gif

Because to be totally honest, the wording was far from serious, and I just fired back. I am very surprised at how seriously and vehemently some of the people are taking this, but I also realize that many will take any opportunity, no matter how slight, to slam and berate me.

If Shad had worded it in a serious, bet-worthy manner, such as "I'll bet you that FF 48 was over $30 NM in 1985" then damn tootin' I would have looked it up before tossing a macho-joke reply back.

Shad:

Its amazing what a fountain of misinformation you are,when it comes down to it. I'll bet you $100 US that FF 48 sold for way more than $5-10 in NM in 1987/88. You accept?

You:

Okay, I''ll take that bet AS PER OUR AGREED statement of "20 years ago". Yep, he sold all his Silver Age comics, 20 YEARS AGO, which for the math-challenged like Shad, would be approximately 1984.

Go drag out your 1984 OS and see how far off I am...

FF 48 books in the 1984 Overstreet for $32. I believe, and I believe that I speak for the vast majority of the people here, that $32 is "way more" than $5 (640%, to be precise), as well as being "way more" than $10 (320%, to be precise).

The only other person on this forum who welched on a bet was Bugaboo, who still owes me $50 because the US didn't find any WMD in Iraq by January 1, 2004. Jim (awe4one) was a man and paid up PROMPTLY, and I donated the $50 to disaster relief in Iran.

Don't be a jerk here. You can spin it all you want, and call me and everybody else all the names in the book (the "geek circle jerk" was particularly clever mad.gif), but the fact remains that you got caught with your pants down and got called on it. What you're doing is what little kids do when they lose a bet - they try to change the rules after the fact.

What little credibility you have left with people here - and I give you more cred than

most do - is going to disappear quickly if you don't suck it up and pay off your bet.

Forgive me if I don't let a bunch of card-carrying JC-haters decide what "WAY MORE" means, as I haven't exactly got any breaks on here, and I'm thinking this would be less-than an unbiased decision. tonofbricks.gif

As for "losing cred" on these forums, considering the company, that sounds like a positive. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Everyone knew you were a blowhard,now we know you are not a man ofyour word.What happened to the stalwart defender of right you were pretending to be in the controversy on the grading contest.

I offered you a bet,man to man,you accepted,lost and are being a complete weasal.

Keep looking in that mirror and telling yourself what a good,straigt arrow you are.

Send the money to DAM60 or be exposed to being the phony POS you are acting like.

Don't let your mouth write checks your spine can't cash.

I lost?

I just asked my wife and her two friends, if one person stated a sweater cost $10, and another stated it was "way more", what price would you estimate the second person meant.

1 guess for $50, and 2 for $60-$70.

So, based on the non-JC hater, impromptu, real-world results, gimme my $100.

.. WIN or LOSE I might add. After all, only a simpleton would think you can quantify something like "WAY MORE" or "MUCH HIGHER" in terms of real numbers.

I treated it like a macho joke between two forum members, and was quite surprised to see how serious people are taking it. I bet these are the same queers yelling "take it out" when two guys make comments about their girth. foreheadslap.gif

Where do you see any humor in my challenge?Or in your answer? You accepted the bet and gutless puke you are,now you are running in circles. How pathetic can you get?

Have you no sense of honor,sir? No sense of self-worth?

Have you no sense of honor,sir? No sense of self-worth?

Where the 893censored-thumb.gif is my $100, you spineless, toadie of a fatass freak? I proved that "way more" can be viewed as far in excess of the OS values you posted, so pay me the money!!!

Do you have no honor, no self-worth? What kind of a person are you to shirk your financial responsibilities like that?

JC looks like you lost the bet. $32 is way more that $5 or $10. Are you not quick to slam those who would pay $30 for a slabbed modern that can be bought off the rack for $3.00?

Lets not try to bring facts or truth into the mix.Old TR is on another roll. Soon he'l tell us about accidently overhearing a co-worker talking about how much he regrets selling his NM FF48 for only $5 in 1985,and how by complete concidence one of his dealer buddies mentioned,while playing softball with some NHLers,that he wished he had bought more FFs in '84 when they were a couple of bucks apiece. Before the night is over,he'll be claiming victory and saying I owe him the money.

JC looks like you lost the bet. $32 is way more that $5 or $10.

I honestly cannot believe I'm on here trying to debate an undefinable common usage term like "way more" on a public forum. It brings that "Special Olympics" joke MK used to post, as there is no right or wrong.

I asked three people what something priced "way more than $10" meant to them, and all answered between $50 to $70. I might ask a welfare bum and he'd probably reply $11, a millionaire would guess much higher... it all depends on where you come from, and how you use the word in conversation.

But regardless, the JC-haters will all try to define the undefinable, working to catch Mr Evil in a word puzzle of their own devising.

The level of hatred in this thread is extremely sickening, and it's pretty obvious that I don't fit into Geek Central here. I look at comics as a fun little hobby and not a way of life or possessions that determine who I am.

I don't think I could ever go that far in the rabbit hole, but I guess some of you like it down there. To each his own, I guess. confused-smiley-013.gif