• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey when is Silver Age going to Crash?

441 posts in this topic

I'll bet you $100 US that FF 48 sold for way more than $5-10 in NM

Okay, I''ll take that bet AS PER OUR AGREED statement of "20 years ago". Yep, he sold all his Silver Age comics, 20 YEARS AGO, which for the math-challenged like Shad, would be approximately 1984.

Go drag out your 1984 OS and see how far off I am...

Joe - haven't you learned by now that you can't just make up stuff around here? makepoint.gif

Personally, I think the money should go to DAM's fundraiser, but pick your poison!

Overstreet Price Guide #13, 1983-1984:

590476-ff48_1984.jpg

and the 14th issue (1984-1985) also indicated the same $30 in mint condition as #13. in fact the last time #48 was listed for $10 or less was in the 1977-78 issue when it was still lumped together with #'s 41-50 in mint for $5.00. in the 1978-79 issue it got broken out separately and listed for $12.00 in mint. (a 240% increase!!!)

so where does that leave the bet?????? devil.gif

As it has been mentioned many times on this board, the Overstreet Price Guide (which has been in business for over 30 years) should be trusted a lot more than the current GPA Analysis, which is only 2 years old. There are many great key CGC graded SA books that can be purchased on Ebay in 9.2 and and less range for reasonable prices. Over the past year I purchased many CGC graded SA books (ASM #1 8.0, X-Men #1 8.5, F.F. #48 8.0, Silver Surfer #1 9.0, #4 9.2, Iron Man #1 9.0, #2 9.2, etc.) for the guide value. CGC certainly hasn't affected the prices of these books, but has allowed an average Joe like myself to purchase expensive comic books on-line without worrying about receiving an over-graded or restored book. The CGC holder is certainly worth it's cover for display purposes and to keep the comic from accidentally being damaged due to multiple viewings or being dropped. However, the CGC holder should not increase the value of the book ten fold. I highly doubt that when CGC started the business that they could have forseen a 9.8 book selling for 40X guide value (it's the dealers and speculators that have created this frenzy).

I will definitely shell out an extra $30 or $40 over the guide price for a key SA book, but that's it. So, in my opinion, if you liked nice crisp books that were close to NM standard before 1999, then you can still purchase them at guide value whether they're CGC graded or not. Otherwise, if you want mint condition books in 9.6 and above range then you shouldn't complain about the high prices generated by these books. Since, prior to CGC, no one made the distinction between a 9.4 and a 9.9 book. Once a book achieved NM status then it received top money, no questions asked. I'm also amazed at how many people are buying guaranteed 9.8 CGC's for comic books that are only a week old. It was bad enough that I had to spend $5 on a glow in the dark, or hologram book back in the 90's, but $30 for a CGC'd book - come on!! Once the speculators start selling their 9.6 and 9.8 SA books, then the market will have a slight correction. However, I can't see 9.2 and lower books dropping in guide value since they haven't been greatly affected by the CGC craze.

so where does that leave the bet?????? devil.gif

popcorn.gif

Is there anyone here who has any doubt as to who lost the bet,and should do the right thing and pay up?

Being off by 200%to600% and 5 years is not even in the ballpark,imo.

When God properly defines "WAY MORE". Do you really think I'd take a bet where I'm stating an amount, and Shad gets the other million or so dollar amounts? Yeah, I'll take that one.

Shad: "I'll bet you $100 US that FF 48 sold for way more than $5-10 in NM"

What is WAY MORE? $10, $50, $100, $10,000? More? There is no answer, because it's not a finite amount. Plus, I don't think the $28 I have in the 1985 OS update qualifies as WAY MORE, unless you're on welfare. foreheadslap.gif

And that's assuming that the dealer would pay 100% of Guide, which is what we were talking about anyway - highly doubtful...

So go back to your geek circle jerks.. 27_laughing.gif

When God properly defines "WAY MORE". Do you really think I'd take a bet where I'm stating an amount, and Shad gets the other million or so dollar amounts? Yeah, I'll take that one.

What is WAY MORE? $10, $50, $100, $10,000? More? There is no answer, because it's not a finite amount. Plus, I don't think the $28 I have in the 1985 OS update qualifies as WAY MORE, unless you're on welfare. foreheadslap.gif

And that's assuming that the dealer would pay 100% of Guide, which is what we were talking about anyway - highly doubtful...

Is $2800.00 "WAY MORE" than $500.00? If your answer is "yes"...you lose.

You're the one that accepted the bet JC, if you were going to qualify it you should have done it up front.

Not to mention you're the one that specified the 1984 OS be used as the criteria, and in the end you're the one that was off by 300 to 600 percent. Don't pull a bugaboo and squelch on your bet! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Is $2800.00 "WAY MORE" than $500.00? If your answer is "yes"...you lose.

When you learn how to multiply $10 by 100, come back and see me, you pinhead. screwy.gif

Me Beyonder, Me Do Gode Mathes. tonofbricks.gif

ADD 2 zeros to $28= $2800

ADD 2 zeros to $5=$500

The MULTIPLE is the same. screwy.gif

You're the one that accepted the bet JC, if you were going to qualify it you should have done it up front.

Maybe, but Jesus H, if anyone thinks that I would ever perceive "WAY MORE" to be $18, then they need to take a serious look at my bank account.

If I qualified anything, it should have been that none of the participants were on welfare.

Don't pull a bugaboo and squelch on your bet! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Hey, if Bug laughed off a bet where someone stated they were "MUCH STRONGER" or were "WAY TALLER", or had "MUCH MORE" of something that someone else, then why the 893censored-thumb.gif would he pay up on something so inherently stupid and non-quantitative? I would never try and collect on anything this insipid....

Now I realize that this fanboy drooling is due to the intense hatred many of the geeks feel for me, as is evidenced by the vehemence that small-minded forum members have pursued this. If you put this much time and effort into your life goals, maybe you wouldn't think $18 was a King's ransom.

But keep it coming, bring it on, show me the unassailable equation for defining "WAY MORE", and prove to me just how mindless some of you are. foreheadslap.gif

And once again we see the blow hard know it all back tracking almost as quickly as he can put his foot into his mouth......almost.