• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey when is Silver Age going to Crash?

441 posts in this topic

OK - using online dictionaries for definitions here is what I have so far come up with:

Definition of "way" in this context

Informal. By a great distance or to a great degree; far: way off base; way too expensive.

Definition of "great" (as "great distance" and "great degree" were used in defining "way" these are the relevant definitions of "great":

Very large in size.

Larger in size than others of the same kind.

Large in quantity or number: A great throng awaited us. See Synonyms at large.

As it says to see symonyms at "large", these are the definitions of "large":

Of greater than average size, extent, quantity, or amount; big.

Of greater than average scope, breadth, or capacity; comprehensive.

Yes - large goes circular and meets "great"

Use this as you will. It is probably the closest dictionary def you will get for "way more".

So, Donut, let's go out on the street and ask if bank interest of $0.000000031 is WAY MORE than $0.00000001.

Then ask them if $310,000 is WAY MORE than $100,000

Exact same percentage as $31 is WAY MORE than $10, and according to your expert testimony, the answers should be YES from 100% of respondents, for both questions. No question, no room for individual interpretation, a 100% resounding YES across the board.

Since you're the one that brought up the percentages, it's only fair to look at them both ways, and with lower as well as higher dollar amounts.

Answer the question:

If it wasn't me, would anyone even care about "interpreting" something like "way more"?

Seriously JC? If a $100 bet were not on the line, folks wouldn't be anywhere near this interested.

I made a bet a long time ago with I think Greggy about a book Joanna was submitting. I said iot yould be such and such and he said it would be such and such. I put up my CGC free grading certificate I won in the contest. LOTS of relies and specualtion etc.

Answer the question:

If it wasn't me, would anyone even care about "interpreting" something like "way more"?

IMHO...if it wasn't you....there would have been no need to interpret it. confused-smiley-013.gif

But then again....if it wasn't you....the bet would have never been made in the 1st place.

This will be my last post for awhile, as the sheer hatred on here is sickening, but for those who are not on the JC Haters bandwagon, here's the deal.

It's not about the money, it's not about being wrong, and it's not about the usual "JC Pile On" mob vendetta mentality among the less-cerebral.

I simply do not equate $31 as being "WAY MORE" than $10, and I find it very insulting that people are trying to tell me than my PERSONAL INTERPRETATION of the terminology is incorrect. I'm not poor, so when I use "way more' in reference to cost or pricing, the gap is significantly higher to warrant the descriptive.

But no, how I personally use the term is apparently WRONG.. in fact, 100% wrong according to the forum faithful, who see it as some math equation, limited to their narrow view of the world.

That's insulting, and quite arrogant for some people to try and force their specific opinion of an interpretive statement onto others. So bet or not, $1 or $1,000, my personality does not allow me to stand for being fed this mindless, illogical and highly insular BS.

This will be my last post for awhile, as the sheer hatred on here is sickening, but for those who are not on the JC Haters bandwagon, here's the deal.

It's not about the money, it's not about being wrong, and it's not about the usual "JC Pile On" mob vendetta mentality among the less-cerebral.

I simply do not equate $31 as being "WAY MORE" than $10, and I find it very insulting that people are trying to tell me than my PERSONAL INTERPRETATION of the terminology is incorrect. I'm not poor, so when I use "way more' in reference to cost or pricing, the gap is significantly higher to warrant the descriptive.

But no, how I personally use the term is apparently WRONG.. in fact, 100% wrong according to the forum faithful, who see it as some math equation, limited to their narrow view of the world.

That's insulting, and quite arrogant for some people to try and force their specific opinion of an interpretive statement onto others. So bet or not, $1 or $1,000, my personality does not allow me to stand for being fed this mindless, illogical and highly insular BS.

I was only trying to clarify .... frown.gif

So what JC is trying to say, then, is that after personally insulting nearly every member of the board, dragging as many threads down with his negativity as possible, screwing with the Grading Contest, berating the organizers and slamming everything that moves, and then finally squirms out of a bet and refuses to show a shred of humanity by making a donation to a great cause....

he wants some slack?

Naaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwww! 27_laughing.gif

JC - sorry to see you go. I know you will return. But - remind me to never make a bet with you. This reminds me of the time when I posted some criticisms about a foxing post that was apparantly from an Internet User Group. The post was WAY too lax in specifics for someone that knows restoration. And you said unless I had something published on the internet my word was no good. So I published my resoration info on the interent and THEN you said it had to be via Usenet or a User Group.

I mean - you tend to take a valid retort to the next level and the next level. This is an example.

I AM sorry JC - as I have said on these boards, I like your posts because they make me think - but this is just not right.

With all due respect POV, are you reading the same posts from JC that I am?

Yep - I am. You have to remember - and I have said this before - I came from a MUCH harsher board than this one that dealt with classic horror movies. In comparison? This place is much gentler. Even JC is much gentler than things I have seen on the other place.

I quit writing about films professionally because of the stuff I was found myself embroiled in.

Yes, and I DO appreciate the "with all due respect", I am reading the same posts from JC that you are. They literally are nothing in comparison!

Just call me Sgt. Saunders! I seen a lot more of the war than most of ya! grin.gif

But, what if person A was poor and viewed 32 dollars as "way more" than $10? Then, by your logic, you would be insulting them by saying "No it's not". This isn't illogical at all because, like you said, everyone is basing their opinions on personal biases against/for you and everyone's personal opinion of what "way more" is.

I personally view 32 dollars as "way more" than 10 dollars because I'm poor. If I had bet you and you started arguing semantics, I'd be acting like everyone else so far. But that's because I would be (and I currently am) basing this whole situation on my point of view.

---

After thinking about it, I really think Joe Collector either accepted this bet because he either knew that he could argue semantics about it or because he really has the money now to only think of "way more" in terms of hundreds or thousands of dollars (and, if this was the case, he knew that FF #1 was only at around 1k so there was no way that FF 48 would be at that point).

But I'm sad to see Joe take a break. Every message board needs at least 5 trolls and at least 3 people who match Joe's personality. Otherwise, the boards would get pretty boring.

and a babe test - more boards need a babe test

I hear ya' POV. And I meant the respect part. That other board musta' been a living HELL! 893whatthe.gif
screwy.gif

Well - now that I THINK about it - the other pace DIDN'T have Greggy! hmmm... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

headbang.gif