• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Hey, these scores need fixing" thread

271 posts in this topic

Arch,

Your scores for mint 9.9 and 10.0 books are way low. For instance, in the X-Men 94-143 run the difference between 9.8 and 9.9 is minimal whereas in the few instances the few existing 9.9 books have actually been sold, they have sold at 5x 9.8 prices or more.

There is a similar discrepancy in the X-Men 144-201 run. A recent sale of X-Men 167 in 10.0 was $1600 or roughly 32x 9.8 while the registry gives it 150 points or less than 2x 9.8.

Give some love to the mints. Especially the pre-1990 mints.

I agree here. I only have one mint book in the registry and even though it is Iceman #1, I would think that a book from 1984 that is the only 10.0 from the set would be worth more than 60 points frown.gif

I don't have the slightest idea of how books are scored, but in comparing some from similar time periods and desireability, I do find myself scratching my head a bit.

Given that 9.9s and 10.0s are only slightly better than 9.8s, I don't think they should be worth many multiples of the 9.8s on the registry. People bid up the 9.9s and 10.0s because they are rare, not because they are much better then 9.8s. Also the differences in grades can be very subjective, and I have seen 9.9 and 10.0s that I would not want. The Iceman #1 is a pefect example of this. If it is the book I saw on ebay several years ago, it has an ugly misrap, and would rather have one of the 9.8s instead.

Given that 9.9s and 10.0s are only slightly better than 9.8s, I don't think they should be worth many multiples of the 9.8s on the registry. People bid up the 9.9s and 10.0s because they are rare, not because they are much better then 9.8s. Also the differences in grades can be very subjective, and I have seen 9.9 and 10.0s that I would not want. The Iceman #1 is a pefect example of this. If it is the book I saw on ebay several years ago, it has an ugly misrap, and would rather have one of the 9.8s instead.

Your idea of an ugly miswrap and mine must be different. There's only one 10.0, so we must be talking about the same book, but I'm just not seeing a real bad miswrap on it.

The only thing I'd say, is what do registry points have to do with one's subjective view on 10.0/9.9/9.8 grading? I agree that grading is very subjective and you could probably say there are 9.6's that present better than some 9.8s, but CGC has to design the registry to reflect the numerical grades they gave the books. 10.0s are rare, if for no other reason than CGC just doesn't award them often (miswrap or not).

Just like if I have a 9.8 beautifully centered white page book, it gets the same points as a 9.8 ow miswrapped book with a nasty little bindery tear in the lower spine corner.

I do want to say that I agree with you that 10.0/9.9s shouldn't be worth "many" multiples of a 9.8, but their scarcity in the census should garner a bigger bump from the 9.8 range. Should my Eternals #9 9.8 be worth more than my Iceman #1 10.0...cause it is, and I'm just not sure that should be the case.

HOM #250 looks REALLY REALLY wrong (too many points).

Phantom Stranger #22 (a book in my set) has only half the points of surrounding books for a 9.6--this looks like an error.

BTW, I think that the early HOM/HOS books don't have enough points...300 for a HOM 174 in 9.4? 120 points for HOM 190 in 9.4? A lot of these early Adams/Wrightson covers are very light on points--especially HOM 174-188 and HOS 81-94.

Has anyone looked into this (at least the first two specifics)?

Arch,

What is the plan for dealing with scoring for page quality, pedigrees and mint books? Those seem to be fairly common requests throughout this thread?

Dena replied in another thread, as I asked this explicitly. They are looking into it, but it doesn't sound like something that's going to happen anytime soon.

(My first noob post)

If the scores aren't trying to reflect monetary value, then I don't know how they're coming up with the values. It seems that's as fair a way to value as any.

9.9 values are waaaay too low. If you feel that such a small difference in condition shouldn't mean a large difference in value, you're in the minority. Just look at the huge multiples of dollars paid for these small differences. Not just for comics, but virtually every collectable.

OK LET'S GET SERIOUS!!!!

I asked about how to start a set type. Maybe no one knows. Somehow I doubt it. Anyway what really matters is this great thread. And to it I dedicate some of my FIXING issues. I recently looked on ebay and saw an issue of amazing spider-man 202 cgc 9 8. Buddy wants 399.00 buy it now or 349.99 starting bid. Honestly no one has touched it but it's not that bad a deal. A hundred less I would have hit it. This is my complaint. As I check to see it's value in the set type details I notice one brutally disgusting thing. ASM#202 Universal CGC 9.8 scores a 123 while a ASM#202 Qualified (Meaning a kid with a crayon could have drawn through the entire book OR a page could be ripped right out of the book) scores a 103. Honestly Unbelievable!!!!! Blows my mind. I think I should be the one making scores when I see this garbage. No offence but cmon let's take some time to create a REAL scoring system. With soooo many collectors out there one would think something of this stature would be somewhat accurate. This one rates right up there with Amazing spider-man 252 CGC 9.8 scoring a 126 or even ASM#255 CGC 9.9 which is 1/1 in the entire world with 32 copies at 9.8 and 52 at 9.6. One would think that the rarity of a 9.9 pre 1990 in the amazing spider-man run would be worth more than let's say a copy of ASM#245 CGC 9.8 in which there are 41 copies of. Obviuosly rare comics don't appeal to whoever sets this system of scoring up. By the way, did anyone reading this ever see a pre ASM 300 comic go for under 500.00 USD?????? Please tell me if so. I'm curious. I haven't. I think maybe I'm a total ASM nerd and my knowledge will help to better the scoring system. Sorry if it seems like a vent. I guess it kind of is. Really I could care less as long as the end result will be realistic grading with rare comics getting better grades such as the ASM 9.9's which are ridiculously rare. Only 20 books graded in at 9.9 in the 1st 300 issues. Shouldn't the scoring system reflect this in some manner??? Also the Qualified graded comics should be restructured as per the scoring system I would think. I only saw ASM#202 CGC 9.8 but that was enough. Anyway I wish all well and let's keep up constructive (CRIT) as it helps if those of us that know alot of a certain title express our opinions. How else are they who don't collect or check census details to know??

I just noticed a scoring anomaly with respect to some of my X-Men books. My 9.8 X-Men 100 gets 2100 points in my X-Men 94-143 & X-Men 1-201 sets. But this same book gets only 880 points in my X-Men 1-300 & X-Men 1-450 sets.

As a result, my 1-300 set has fewer points than my 1-201 set even though it has all the books from my 1-201 set plus several additional books.

Is that right or or should the score for a book be the same no matter what set it is in? It seems like it should be consistent.

I believe that there are similar discrepencies with some X-Men 144-201 books but I haven't tracked down which particular issues. Would it help if I did?

How about Conan #1 in 9.4? It scores 505 in the Conan set, while getting 900 in the Marvel Bronze Age 1st issue set. Perhaps it should be somewhere in the middle for both.

foreheadslap.gif I need your opinion. I decided that it would be fun to buy every copy of Conan #1 in CGC 9.4 White, so I bought 14 of them (I know...I am a few hundred short). Anyway, I created 14 Conan sets and get 500 points of credit for each. Is it wrong to create 14 "Marvel Bronze Age 1st issue" sets that would give me 900 points each? I don't want to cheat the system, but I'm tempted. Ideally they would count the same on both scales, but it is not so. What would you do? confused-smiley-013.gif

How about Conan #1 in 9.4? It scores 505 in the Conan set, while getting 900 in the Marvel Bronze Age 1st issue set. Perhaps it should be somewhere in the middle for both.

foreheadslap.gif I need your opinion. I decided that it would be fun to buy every copy of Conan #1 in CGC 9.4 White, so I bought 14 of them (I know...I am a few hundred short). Anyway, I created 14 Conan sets and get 500 points of credit for each. Is it wrong to create 14 "Marvel Bronze Age 1st issue" sets that would give me 900 points each? I don't want to cheat the system, but I'm tempted. Ideally they would count the same on both scales, but it is not so. What would you do? confused-smiley-013.gif

Go ahead and add them. I think they explained that they are aware of the point differences and that this was done on purpose. Some sets just give more points for the books being in it than others. What will happen is that you will get the point difference for each book (which looks like 395 each).

Hi, The Crisis on Infinite Earths #7 signature scores appear to be off.

For example: The Universal Score for a 9.9 is 175 while the signature is only 83

The other 11 books all show higher scores for the Signature books.

Thanks!

Green Lantern Neal Adams collection #76 - 89.

How can the score for a Green Lantern #79 CGC 9.6 only be 550 points??? There is only one in existence and there are only 2 9.4's out there and no 9.8's. That is the same point score as a Green Lantern # 85 where there are 3 - 9.8's and 19 9.6's and 34 9.4's. This makes no sense. There are less of these in high grades than the #76's where a 9.6 gets 3600 points. Please raise the point levels on the high grade #79 GL's to be in line with there rarity as there are only three books out there at this time in 9.4 or better.

Thank you.