• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Absolutes, Omnibuses, Oversize, Special Editions discussion thread

374 posts in this topic

Why don't DC release omnibi the way Marvel do/did? Is it just as simple as not enough demand for the content?

I'd love to see an O'Neil/Adams/Novick omnibus covering alot of the Tecs and Bats they did.

They have slowly started doing this... Im not sure how DC is structured. Marvel has a specific Collected Editions department that is in charge of collections (TPBs, HCs, Omnibus and so on) and they are very well organized. I've never heard about DC having a comparable department, so that could be one problem.

Because of their success of the "Archive" line for so many years, they never bothered with Omnibuses or other Oversized Collected HCs.

A few years ago they did put out two volumes of Silver Age Green Lantern Omnibuses. Not as large (in volume) as the typcal Marvel Omnibus (they only did about 20 issues per Omni) and the reprint quality and production quality on the Omnibuses was horrible. Poor paper that bent with the slightest touch, tons of wasted white space, and poor binding.

They did a Golden Age Superman in Action Comics last year that was much better and gave me hope, but as you said, they've done nothing since then.

I had hoped for a Golden Age Batman in Detective Comics Omnibus on the heels of Superman, but nope. And I agree a GL/GA Omnibus (or even an Absolute with a slipcover) would be great. As would a Neal Adams Batman Omnibus.

All I can think of is two reasons DC doesnt do this 1) is that DC's contracts with writers/artists from that era dont make it as financially worthwhile to reprint the books so they dont bother. OR 2) the cost of reproducing the content (scanning, reformatting, recoloring/lining etc) is prohibitive and they dont have access to quality scans of the original material.

otherwise they are just leaving money on the table, stupidly.

Why don't DC release omnibi the way Marvel do/did? Is it just as simple as not enough demand for the content?

I'd love to see an O'Neil/Adams/Novick omnibus covering alot of the Tecs and Bats they did.

They have slowly started doing this... Im not sure how DC is structured. Marvel has a specific Collected Editions department that is in charge of collections (TPBs, HCs, Omnibus and so on) and they are very well organized. I've never heard about DC having a comparable department, so that could be one problem.

Because of their success of the "Archive" line for so many years, they never bothered with Omnibuses or other Oversized Collected HCs.

A few years ago they did put out two volumes of Silver Age Green Lantern Omnibuses. Not as large (in volume) as the typcal Marvel Omnibus (they only did about 20 issues per Omni) and the reprint quality and production quality on the Omnibuses was horrible. Poor paper that bent with the slightest touch, tons of wasted white space, and poor binding.

They did a Golden Age Superman in Action Comics last year that was much better and gave me hope, but as you said, they've done nothing since then.

I had hoped for a Golden Age Batman in Detective Comics Omnibus on the heels of Superman, but nope. And I agree a GL/GA Omnibus (or even an Absolute with a slipcover) would be great. As would a Neal Adams Batman Omnibus.

All I can think of is two reasons DC doesnt do this 1) is that DC's contracts with writers/artists from that era dont make it as financially worthwhile to reprint the books so they dont bother. OR 2) the cost of reproducing the content (scanning, reformatting, recoloring/lining etc) is prohibitive and they dont have access to quality scans of the original material.

otherwise they are just leaving money on the table, stupidly.

They should just give Dark Horse the license for all the GA and SA stuff for ten years or so

They should just give Dark Horse the license for all the GA and SA stuff for ten years or so.

Problem here is that a lot of the Dark Horse 'archive' material was poorly remastered, examples being the Gold Key hardcovers and the Conan trade paperbacks. Not anywhere near as bad as DC's GA Simon and Kirby books, though - the Sandman volume was atrocious.

I found a reasonably priced copy of "75 Years of DC Comics" as an early b'day present to myself (my b'day is in April) online. WOW. It's hard to appreciate how BIG that book is until you see it in person and have it in your hands. I didn't know they made books this big (I've seen plenty of coffee table books, but none that are this big and over 700 pages). Very glad to have found a copy that's in good shape and wasn't the full price.

The Marvel version of this book will be available in December - 75 Years of Marvel Comics

I've read the whole run of the Stand. I never read the book, though. The comic was very enjoyable.

Do yourself a favor and read the book.

Yes, King at his best.

Then watch the TV series with Gary Sinise and think "that was good but could have been loads better".

In fact, now that I think about it, aren't we well past time for a remake with the current mania for post-apocalyptic fiction?

I've read the whole run of the Stand. I never read the book, though. The comic was very enjoyable.

Do yourself a favor and read the book.

Yes, King at his best.

Then watch the TV series with Gary Sinise and think "that was good but could have been loads better".

In fact, now that I think about it, aren't we well past time for a remake with the current mania for post-apocalyptic fiction?

Also loved the Stand mini series.

Imagine if it was remade today in an 8-10 part series on AMC, or Showtime? Yes, please

I found a reasonably priced copy of "75 Years of DC Comics" as an early b'day present to myself (my b'day is in April) online. WOW. It's hard to appreciate how BIG that book is until you see it in person and have it in your hands. I didn't know they made books this big (I've seen plenty of coffee table books, but none that are this big and over 700 pages). Very glad to have found a copy that's in good shape and wasn't the full price.

The Marvel version of this book will be available in December - 75 Years of Marvel Comics

Awesome! Thanks! I didn't know that. I've added it to my Wishlist on Amazon.

I saw this is coming in March. A Warren Ellis flipbook with 2 stories. Ocean is one of the stories and Orbiter is the other in a Deluxe Edition. Deluxe edition? Amazon says its a hardcover. I wonder if its oversized. These stories are really good so if you're thinking about getting it you might be able to preorder it cheap.