• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Absolutes, Omnibuses, Oversize, Special Editions discussion thread

374 posts in this topic

Better than Byrne's run? That's laughable.

Peace,

Chip

Laughable? I don't think so. It's just a matter of different tastes. Personally, I enjoyed Hickman's run more than any other FF I have read - others will prefer different writers.

Calling it laughable suggests that you think the two are so far apart in quality that the comparison is totally nonsensical - at the very least you have to recognise that Hickman's run had significant critical acclaim.

Hickman benefited by having his FF run come on the heals of the HORRID runs by JMS and Mike Millar.

Hickman had some very good ideas (Council of Reeds, Solution of Everything, etc) but got bogged down in decompressed writing and having to tie into events. Always felt like the Johny Storm "Event" was an editorial decision, not an organic one. And the Future Foundation stuff was a tonal shift that didnt feel right for Hickman's voice.

Best since Lee/Kirby? No way. Top 5, maybe, but I think it definitely benefits from the landscape of poor modern comic book writing that it exists in.

Lee/Kirbu

Waid/Wieringo

Byrne (especially the first one)

Simonson

then Hickman, though I could just as easily have said Roy Thomas, or even McDuffie (before Editorial got to him and made it impossible to write).

I desperately want the Planetary Absolute. Anybody got one FS/trade?

EDIT: That they don't want anymore?

Just get the Omni instead. It has the entire story and it's going to be cheaper than buying even a used Absolute.

There are a few Absolute Editions I've been meaning to get. But I have a stack of unread comics and it would be crazy to get something before I finish reading what I already have. But I look forward to reading Absolute Justice, I only read the preview issue I think in Wizard when it was around. And the Long Halloween/Dark Victory stories again. I traded and sold those hardcovers for good amounts.

I desperately want the Planetary Absolute. Anybody got one FS/trade?

EDIT: That they don't want anymore?

Just get the Omni instead. It has the entire story and it's going to be cheaper than buying even a used Absolute.

This. Took me ages to find my Absolutes. Definitely go for the omni for the time being, and wait (a long time) for a good Absolute opportunity to come along.

That's a shame. I haven't been buying many hardcovers over the last couple of years, but I dropped DC's for the same reason. Simply too expensive to take a chance by pre-ordering.

The ones mentioned are collections of recent titles. Do the new prints of the classic Silver Age collections have the same problem?

That's a shame. I haven't been buying many hardcovers over the last couple of years, but I dropped DC's for the same reason. Simply too expensive to take a chance by pre-ordering.

The ones mentioned are collections of recent titles. Do the new prints of the classic Silver Age collections have the same problem?

I was just thinking the same thing. I haven't heard anything about it in reviews and such but it would be good to hear from someone here who has one.

Pretty keen on getting a copy of the new printing of the ASM omni, but not if the pq is mess!

my Golden Age Captain America came today, love this variant cover and i thought the paper stock in this has been better than whats been offered recently.

Bg7sBMKIcAE-MUq.jpg

Bg7sEb0IQAAyvn4.jpg

Awesome, Darren! Can't wait for mine to land :applause:

amazon have to abide by a rule where they cannot sell any graphic novels and all that apply till 2 weeks after comic outlets and other sellers have had them for customers, if that makes any sense

Weird.

And just double checked, its available March 4.

How very odd. I never realized this to be the case as I could have sworn I've purchased stuff day of/day after release. Guess not.