• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay seller kellyssuperheroes?
11 11

1,105 posts in this topic

Bumping this up because new people come into this hobby all the time, and it's critical to get info out.  I bought one book from Kellyssuperheroes off Ebay, Dazzler 1, listed as NM/MT.  Having the book in hand I think it's possible it is a 9.8 and fully intend to submit it to CGC, but I wish I had read this thread before buying.  I was suspicious given the large number of books listed at CGC rated prices for raw books.  This guy must have a ton of money tied up if he's cracking slabs and reselling, but if true then this thread should be required reading for all new entrants.

Anyways, thanks to all that have gone before me and learned lessons the hard way so I don't have to.  Fortunately I'm only into him for $150, and obviously I'm done perusing what he's got for sale.

On 10/27/2021 at 4:37 PM, Joe Peck said:

Bumping this up because new people come into this hobby all the time, and it's critical to get info out.  I bought one book from Kellyssuperheroes off Ebay, Dazzler 1, listed as NM/MT.  Having the book in hand I think it's possible it is a 9.8 and fully intend to submit it to CGC, but I wish I had read this thread before buying.  I was suspicious given the large number of books listed at CGC rated prices for raw books.  This guy must have a ton of money tied up if he's cracking slabs and reselling, but if true then this thread should be required reading for all new entrants.

Anyways, thanks to all that have gone before me and learned lessons the hard way so I don't have to.  Fortunately I'm only into him for $150, and obviously I'm done perusing what he's got for sale.

Coincidentally, I was looking at Dazzler 1s. I had one, don't know what the heck I did with it, probably misfiled somewhere, but this seller has 6 listed. Found them searching ebay for Daz 1s. 

is this the book you bought? (Top one on the seller's sold item search)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sofindtype=0&_byseller=1&_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=11758-6572&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=Kellyssuperheroes&_sop=1&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

Dazzler #1 NMMT 9.8 White pages Unrestored 1981 Marvel Spider-man X-Men Iron Man | eBay  

On 10/27/2021 at 9:17 PM, James J Johnson said:

Coincidentally, I was looking at Dazzler 1s. I had one, don't know what the heck I did with it, probably misfiled somewhere, but this seller has 6 listed. Found them searching ebay for Daz 1s. 

is this the book you bought? (Top one on the seller's sold item search)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sofindtype=0&_byseller=1&_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=11758-6572&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=Kellyssuperheroes&_sop=1&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

Dazzler #1 NMMT 9.8 White pages Unrestored 1981 Marvel Spider-man X-Men Iron Man | eBay  

Yep, that was me.  Like I said, I'll keep my fingers crossed 'cuz I'm new here, but it does actually look like a possible 9.8.  I just wonder if it was a 9.6 that he bought and cracked.  I will get it pressed so MAYBE that will help???  We'll see.

On 10/27/2021 at 6:23 PM, Joe Peck said:

Yep, that was me.  Like I said, I'll keep my fingers crossed 'cuz I'm new here, but it does actually look like a possible 9.8.  I just wonder if it was a 9.6 that he bought and cracked.  I will get it pressed so MAYBE that will help???  We'll see.

How does it look close up? In hand? It's tough to get a good read on defects, if any, from his images. Any stresses on the spine? I can't tell from the images. 

On 10/27/2021 at 4:37 PM, Joe Peck said:

Having the book in hand I think it's possible it is a 9.8 and fully intend to submit it to CGC, but I wish I had read this thread before buying. 

I just noticed that according to the date on the sold items page, you bought this yesterday, on the 26th. It's already there, in hand? You picked it up locally, in person, or it was hand delivered by the seller? 

Here it is again: 

Looks like the BIN was used at 5:53PM yesterday (the 26th) EST. And you already have the book there with you, in hand, today, and it looks like a potential 9.8? Am I understanding your statement correctly? 

Edited by James J Johnson

On 10/27/2021 at 9:35 PM, James J Johnson said:

I just noticed that according to the date on the sold items page, you bought this yesterday, on the 26th. It's already there, in hand? You picked it up locally, in person, or it was hand delivered by the seller? 

Here it is again: 

Looks like the BIN was used at 5:53PM yesterday (the 26th) EST. And you already have the book there with you, in hand, today, and it looks like a potential 9.8? Am I understanding your statement correctly? 

Yeah, he apparently is close to me physically so, yes, I have it in hand.  Looks really good to me.  The picture seems to show spine roll, but in person there's none.

IMG_1697.jpg

On 10/27/2021 at 7:24 PM, Joe Peck said:

Yeah, he apparently is close to me physically so, yes, I have it in hand.  Looks really good to me.  The picture seems to show spine roll, but in person there's none.

IMG_1697.jpg

This isn't the same book that is in the image of the listing. The centering is completely different. So your contention is that you picked it up or he hand delivered this to you? 

Dazzler1Kellys.jpg

If you can prove it's not the book I ordered that would be VERY interesting.  No, it was delivered by USPS today.   Apparently, he's in Jersey and I'm in NY.  Just a few miles apart.

Edited by Joe Peck

On 10/27/2021 at 9:40 PM, Joe Peck said:

If you can prove it's not the book I ordered that would be VERY interesting.  No, it was delivered by USPS today.   Apparently, he's in Jersey and I'm in NY.  Just a few miles apart.

Compare the price box in both photos. 

One is completely visible 

On 10/27/2021 at 10:47 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Compare the price box in both photos. 

One is completely visible 

Whoa!!  That is awesome.  Wonder what I can do with that??  Definitely going to contact Ebay!!  Thank you.  Would be awesome to catch this fiend in some mistake.

On 10/27/2021 at 7:40 PM, Joe Peck said:

Why would I have to prove it? Ebay lists the sale time at 5:53PM. Even if you paid immediately. that's 53 minutes past closing for USPS, so it would have to have been mailed by the seller today at the earliest if using USPS delivery, as you now claim. Expressmail is next day delivery, not same day delivery. So if this was sent to you through USPS as you claim, today, the 27th, how could you have received it already in the same day it was mailed? 

You make an impossible delivery claim unless it was picked up or hand delivered, which you now state is USPS delivered, thus impossible, and you show the image of a book that differs drastically from the seller's image. . 

On 10/27/2021 at 8:01 PM, Joe Peck said:

Whoa!!  That is awesome.  Wonder what I can do with that??  Definitely going to contact Ebay!!  Thank you.  Would be awesome to catch this fiend in some mistake.

I've already messaged the seller. According to him, the book has not yet been shipped out. It's scheduled to ship on the 29th according to him. The seller stated that he is going to send me an image of his seller dashboard that shows his items awaiting shipment and indicates the item has not yet shipped. 

I initially thought this was an effort by a seller's shill to bolster his rep, "Looks like a 9.8, I'm submitting it", and then later, "Came back as a 9.8, I'm ordering more". But as it turns out, it appears to be the opposite. A hatchet job. 

Let's see what the image of his dashboard shows if and when the seller sends the image supposedly forthcoming. 

On 10/27/2021 at 11:02 PM, James J Johnson said:

Why would I have to prove it? Ebay lists the sale time at 5:53PM. Even if you paid immediately. that's 53 minutes past closing for USPS, so it would have to have been mailed by the seller today at the earliest if using USPS delivery, as you now claim. Expressmail is next day delivery, not same day delivery. So if this was sent to you through USPS as you claim, today, the 27th, how could you have received it already in the same day it was mailed? 

You make an impossible delivery claim unless it was picked up or hand delivered, which you now state is USPS delivered, thus impossible, and you show the image of a book that differs drastically from the seller's image. . 

I bumped this thread.  Not really sure where you're going with this.  My name is as listed.  You can find me on Facebook, and in Pound Ridge, NY.  I have the comic in hand and can only say that the times listed are not accurate as I bought the comic way before the time you show.  If you think I'm somehow lying, I can't fathom what you think my point is.

Edited by Joe Peck

On 10/27/2021 at 8:15 PM, Joe Peck said:

I bumped this thread.  Not really sure where you're going with this.  My name is as listed.  You can find me on Facebook, and in Pound Ridge, NY.  I have the comic in hand and can only say that the times listed are not accurate as I bought the comic way before the time you show.  If you think I'm somehow lying, I can't fathom what you think my point is.

That's the most recent item the seller sold. Oct. 26th at 5:53PM is ebay's stated time, which the seller can verify if his dashboard shows ship by Oct 29th as he stated, we'll see if he sneds the image, given his 3 day shipping time would be correct. 

On 10/27/2021 at 9:02 PM, James J Johnson said:

hm

On 10/27/2021 at 8:18 PM, Joe Peck said:

I'm a 777 Captain at United Airlines.  Why would I lie about a comic book?  Makes zero sense if that is what you are accusing me of.

If the seller's dashboard shows what he says it does, unshipped, ship by the 29th, that's exactly what is happening and it did not sell prior to the 26th as you now have stated. Ebay doesn't make these mistakes. USPS does not have same day delivery and it's not the same book as in the seller's listing..

As stated, I thought you were shilling for the seller. Now, with the word "fiend" added, it's obviously the opposite. Again, I have no dog in this race. Let's see what his dash shows. If it showswhat he stated it does, maybe it's another ebay mistake. Or not. .