• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink May Auction

18 posts in this topic

It'll be interesting to see how this tidbit from Paul Litch affects the price:

3) On the issue of the tape "loop-hole" - CGC has taken your suggestions very seriously. They have been very helpful and as a result we are in the process of re-evaluating our tape policy and plan to modify our current practice as necessary to address the situation. Your input has been valuable and we thank you. Anyone who has not voiced their opinion can still do so and we would welcome your thoughts. Please look for a separate announcement in the near future. Books that are currently in holders with tape would be considered “Grandfathered in”.

3) On the issue of the tape "loop-hole" - CGC has taken your suggestions very seriously. They have been very helpful and as a result we are in the process of re-evaluating our tape policy and plan to modify our current practice as necessary to address the situation. Your input has been valuable and we thank you. Anyone who has not voiced their opinion can still do so and we would welcome your thoughts. Please look for a separate announcement in the near future. Books that are currently in holders with tape would be considered “Grandfathered in”.

That is fantastic news :applause: I hope this will apply immediately before anymore books gets taped up to achieve a higher grade and as unrestored.

Slightly brittle, but really bright colors according to this scan.

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?id=965594

cover detached gets a blue label? hmmmm i've seen green labels for detached at 1 staple. so confused ???

a detached cover is just a defect...they have always gotten blue labels...

where the green label comes into play is if that is really the only "defect" that would detract from an otherwise superior copy, and cgc will sometimes "qualify" in a green, rather than kill grade in blue

example...an otherwise NM book might get a 9.0 green qualified for detached staple, where it would get a 6.5 in a blue label (but look 9.4)

The green label thing has always puzzled me. I have a Jungle Comics -- I need to dig it out and scan it -- that was fine except for a slightly miscut cover; small triangular piece stretching across the bottom of the cover is white and as a result the cover is a bit cockeyed. Came back in a green label. This was way back when. I don't think miscut covers -- however bad the miscut -- would get a green label these days.

Seems as if the criteria float around a bit. hm

Slightly brittle, but really bright colors according to this scan.

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?id=965594

cover detached gets a blue label? hmmmm i've seen green labels for detached at 1 staple. so confused ???

a detached cover is just a defect...they have always gotten blue labels...

where the green label comes into play is if that is really the only "defect" that would detract from an otherwise superior copy, and cgc will sometimes "qualify" in a green, rather than kill grade in blue

example...an otherwise NM book might get a 9.0 green qualified for detached staple, where it would get a 6.5 in a blue label (but look 9.4)

I think a detached married cover also receives a green label.

If older-slabbed books with corrosive tape are grandfathered in there will be a wide disparity between the grades of books in older slabs and the grades of books in newer slabs.

I would submit that the problem is less about corrosive tape and how much damage it cause (since CGC has always considered it a defect), and a lot more about the fact that non-corrosive tape is hammered.

I don't know what CGC is planning but if it decides to treat corrosive tape more harshly than it did in the past, it will create as many problems as it resolves.

A better approach, I think, would be simply to stop treating non-corrosive tape as worse than corrosive tape by putting it in a label that contains a warning that effectively says the book is likely less valuable than it would be if the tape used had been corrosive instead of non-corrosive.

Ideally, non-corrosive tape would be a defect that "hammers" a book less than corrosive tape, because it is mostly reversible and doesn't do as much damage.

But, at the least, non-corrosive tape should be treated the same as any other tape. Then it's pretty consistent with what you've done in the past, and you disencourage people to damage books with corrosive tape.

Some people might continue taping books, but they will do it with non-corrosive tape. And if you grade them essentially the same as you have books with corrosive tape, then you haven't rewarded for taping a book any more (or less) than you have before, and there won't be a troublesome and very large disparity between the way books were treated before versus the way they're treated in the future

If older-slabbed books with corrosive tape are grandfathered in there will be a wide disparity between the grades of books in older slabs and the grades of books in newer slabs.

I would submit that the problem is less about corrosive tape and how much damage it cause (since CGC has always considered it a defect), and a lot more about the fact that non-corrosive tape is hammered.

I don't know what CGC is planning but if it decides to treat corrosive tape more harshly than it did in the past, it will create as many problems as it resolves.

A better approach, I think, would be simply to stop treating non-corrosive tape as worse than corrosive tape by putting it in a label that contains a warning that effectively says the book is likely less valuable than it would be if the tape used had been corrosive instead of non-corrosive.

Ideally, non-corrosive tape would be a defect that "hammers" a book less than corrosive tape, because it is mostly reversible and doesn't do as much damage.

But, at the least, non-corrosive tape should be treated the same as any other tape. Then it's pretty consistent with what you've done in the past, and you disencourage people to damage books with corrosive tape.

Some people might continue taping books, but they will do it with non-corrosive tape. And if you grade them essentially the same as you have books with corrosive tape, then you haven't rewarded for taping a book any more (or less) than you have before, and there won't be a troublesome and very large disparity between the way books were treated before versus the way they're treated in the future

:applause:

Once again I will prove that I have very little knowledge regarding grading and possibly little else?

To help me out ..let's say I have a book which contains a split spine (not attached to the stales). There is no other defect I wish to fix.

My thought:

1)I can tape the spine together and to the book using "non corrosive " tape? Does that give me a blue label?

2)I can have the spine restored? Purple label?

In theory does the tape make the book more valuable than the restoration?

Once again I will prove that I have very little knowledge regarding grading and possibly little else?

To help me out ..let's say I have a book which contains a split spine (not attached to the stales). There is no other defect I wish to fix.

My thought:

1)I can tape the spine together and to the book using "non corrosive " tape? Does that give me a blue label?

2)I can have the spine restored? Purple label?

In theory does the tape make the book more valuable than the restoration?

1) Yes you can tape the spine together and get a blue label, but not with non corrosive tape. Non corrosive archival tape will get you a purple label. (But see below.)

2) Yes, yes.

3) Yes, in theory and often in practice.

BUT - this situation is currently, and rightly, under review by CGC. Hopefully the policy change will reduce the incentive to permanently damage books with corrosive tape. :wishluck:

In any case, you should wait to see what happens.