• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CELEBRATE THE DOUBLE COVERS
21 21

2,981 posts in this topic

On 7/25/2022 at 10:26 AM, trademarkcomics said:

Also just upgraded one of my favorite books of all time: ASM #312. Went from a 9.8 with a 9.0 outer cover to a 9.8 with a 9.6 outer cover. Selling my old one. (I also have a raw double cover of this issue)

asm312dc98_96.thumb.jpg.3502a856f6c846bd1b96ac3ebd1cd86d.jpg

I always liked this cover in the TMcF ASM run

Not mine (wish it was) but this one sold on ebay not that long ago and it also has the problem with a chunk out of the top Left edge of the inside cover that extends to the back inner cover, I have seen this problem a lot of Silver Age Marvel Double Covers and would also like to know why.  hm

ASM3CGC6.0.jpg

On 7/25/2022 at 12:19 PM, cosmic-spider-man said:

Not mine (wish it was) but this one sold on ebay not that long ago and it also has the problem with a chunk out of the top Left edge of the inside cover that extends to the back inner cover, I have seen this problem a lot of Silver Age Marvel Double Covers and would also like to know why.  hm

ASM3CGC6.0.jpg

i remember this giant, it sold for a lot

On 7/25/2022 at 12:09 PM, cosmic-spider-man said:

I sent a few Silver Age Spidey's in to be graded some years back that had a small piece out of the top of the inner cover which seems to be a common thing (not sure why but must be something to do with the trimming process) and here is how CGC graded them.  2c

026.JPG

030.JPG

Nice! 4.5 seems a bit harsh on that 26. My theory has been that when the covers were bound, the machine that grabbed them tended to hang up and that's why multiple covers occurred in the first place...that grabbing on the older machines in the 60's/70's may have been what caused the extra cover to get torn on that corner?

Good News/Bad News!

316.thumb.jpg.e6ecd2e3c4e16a0b6b2b2188487052e6.jpg

I bought this back in 89, noticed the double cover... then, I THOUGHT I stored it safely all these years.

Instead it looks like I just stored it inside an old pizza box in the garage somewhere outside of Death Valley.

Is it worth a clean and press? Here are the grader notes:

Comic Description:
Amazing Spider-Man 316 6/89 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
double cover 1st cover 6.5, interior cover 7
light cover tanning
light creasing to cover
light staining to cover
moderate bends to cover
moderate finger bends on cover
moderate spine stress lines to cover

Edited by DoctorWyoming1

On 8/2/2022 at 11:04 AM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

Good News/Bad News!

I bought this back in 89, noticed the double cover... then, I THOUGHT I stored it safely all these years.

Instead it looks like I just stored it inside an old pizza box in the garage somewhere outside of Death Valley.

Is it with a clean and press? Here are the grader notes:

Comic Description:

Grader Notes:
light cover tanning
light creasing to cover
light staining to cover
moderate bends to cover

That's with a press? Probably shouldn't have the bends if so. 

What struck me as odd was the interior graded as a "7" instead of 7.0 like it should 😂

Small thing but left me scratching my head.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:04 AM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

Good News/Bad News!

Comic Description:

Grader Notes:
light cover tanning
light creasing to cover
light staining to cover
moderate bends to cover

Stored inside a pizza box, but still has white pages! And whether you store it in a hermetically sealed container or a pizza box, it's still a crazy rare double cover of the first full and greatest Venom cover of all time!!! Congrats!

On 8/2/2022 at 2:17 PM, trademarkcomics said:
On 8/2/2022 at 11:04 AM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

Good News/Bad News!

Comic Description:

Grader Notes:
light cover tanning
light creasing to cover
light staining to cover
moderate bends to cover

Expand  

Stored inside a pizza box, but still has white pages! And whether you store it in a hermetically sealed container or a pizza box, it's still a crazy rare double cover of the first full and greatest Venom cover of all time!!! Congrats!

agreed!+1 

but since you already paid for grading, Idk if "I'd" feel up to the awaiting pressing and funds, but that's me, I figure all good. Main thing it IS COOL! :headbang: 

On 8/2/2022 at 12:10 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's with a press?  

No, unfortunately the "with" was a typo. I wanted to ask if it was WORTH a press. I eyeballed it and just sent it in for slabbing without another thought.

I even have video of me looking it over before just sending it in:

Mr Magoo GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

On 8/2/2022 at 3:20 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

agreed!+1 

but since you already paid for grading, Idk if "I'd" feel up to the awaiting pressing and funds, but that's me, I figure all good. Main thing it IS COOL! :headbang: 

Thanks for your input. The odd thing was that the turn around was very fast, I only submitted this in June, already have it back. 

On 8/2/2022 at 5:13 PM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

No, unfortunately the "with" was a typo. I wanted to ask if it was WORTH a press. I eyeballed it and just sent it in for slabbing without another thought.

I even have video of me looking it over before just sending it in:

Mr Magoo GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I'd argue its fine as is, and no worries, but it would benefit from on so I'll leave it up to you :)

And no worries 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I'm sure someone will eventually look at those graders Notes and give a press a try, but if you want it to be you, it'll benefit.

That in mind, selling might get you a couple of extra $$ if in the listing you showed the Notes, idk, and said it would benefit.

I'm in your situation more often than not because I dont press, but what you could do? @DoctorWyoming

I hear that Todd Mcfarlane is going to be signing this December at cgc, that said I usually press when doing signature series. Too many handlers not to, but it would give you an opportunity and maybe one flat cost for the signature and press. It's a ways off though and depends on if you even want it signed :canofworms:

But with in house cgc signings they try hint try to guarantee a 6 to 8 week turn around time with pressing.

But that is up to you. It seems according to the tat thread that modern tier with ccs pressing and all that would take even longer to get back. @joeypost is a quality boardie preseer that might not have a long tat but might still.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/2/2022 at 5:15 PM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

Thanks for your input. The odd thing was that the turn around was very fast, I only submitted this in June, already have it back. 

Oh and just an fyi, pressing has it's own separate tat (turn around time) be sure to check the current tat thread here in comics general to get an idea.

On 8/2/2022 at 6:23 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I hear that Todd Mcfarlane is going to be signing this December at cgc, that said I usually press when doing signature series. Too many handlers not to, but it would give you an opportunity and maybe one flat cost for the signature and press. It's a ways off though and depends on if you even want it signed :canofworms:

. @joeypost is a quality boardie preseer that might not have a long tat but might still.

First, thanks for the heads of about McFarlane. Getting it resubmitted sounds like an even better idea if I get it signed as well. 

I am fine with the wait! I will most likely keep this and hold it for a few years, so that would make the wait of no importance. 

That said, I would love to talk with Joey and see what he thinks. 

On 8/2/2022 at 5:31 PM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

First, thanks for the heads of about McFarlane. Getting it resubmitted sounds like an even better idea if I get it signed as well. 

I am fine with the wait! I will most likely keep this and hold it for a few years, so that would make the wait of no importance. 

That said, I would love to talk with Joey and see what he thinks. 

I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you pmd, so we do not take up the thread 😂

But glad it could help, there are some artist/writer/ creators that we should would all want at least one signature series. And when it's announced this far out it gives the opportunity to save up for it, I know I'm appreciative!