• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CELEBRATE THE DOUBLE COVERS
21 21

2,978 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2022 at 10:17 AM, Stronguy said:

I'm not sure if I shared this one in this thread or not (but I will never pass up an opportunity).

262563669_IMG_0985(1).thumb.jpg.4d859898164b6a73981f2b3407cb8323.jpg

Wow! What a monster! 👍🏼

On 4/7/2022 at 11:55 PM, OtherEric said:

I’ve shown this before, but since you asked nicely:

9E0A2A62-0C6A-4B09-81F1-CF0A04552358.jpeg

A144DF5F-9BA9-4AE8-8E1C-590A93AA7EB0.jpeg

That's really interesting.  Knowing how the manufacturing process works, I would be very suspect of something like this actually being legit.

On 4/9/2022 at 7:14 PM, OtherEric said:
On 4/9/2022 at 4:55 PM, Stronguy said:

That's really interesting.  Knowing how the manufacturing process works, I would be very suspect of something like this actually being legit.

I bought it only about 3 years after it came out, I'm 90% sure it went directly from the shelf to the back issue bins at the store.  It was not being sold as a double cover, I only discovered it after I got it home... I think I paid around $3 for it.

I have no reason to doubt it's legit, although I get why anybody else would have reason to be skeptical.  I'll freely admit it's a weird one.

Did we all discuss this once before? I don't know explicitly how the books were batched and stapled back in the day, but I can see how a run of newsstand covers could have been put on top of a run of direct, then fed in as a group to be stapled with the guts. The bottom copy of one type and top copy of the other could then have found their way on the same book by sticking together. Did that make sense? Probably not. 

On 4/16/2022 at 11:52 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Did we all discuss this once before? I don't know explicitly how the books were batched and stapled back in the day, but I can see how a run of newsstand covers could have been put on top of a run of direct, then fed in as a group to be stapled with the guts. The bottom copy of one type and top copy of the other could then have found their way on the same book by sticking together. Did that make sense? Probably not. 

I don't know if we discussed it here but I did talk to someone in the printing business and he said it's possible but improbable.  Covers are manually loaded into the bin for assembly.  Someone would have had to have loaded the Direct covers on top of the newsstand covers (not out of the ordinary) and the bottom cover of the Direct pile would have had to somehow stick to the top newsstand cover.

On 4/16/2022 at 10:07 PM, Stronguy said:

I don't know if we discussed it here but I did talk to someone in the printing business and he said it's possible but improbable.  Covers are manually loaded into the bin for assembly.  Someone would have had to have loaded the Direct covers on top of the newsstand covers (not out of the ordinary) and the bottom cover of the Direct pile would have had to somehow stick to the top newsstand cover.

To me, that makes it likely. If both cover types being manually loaded together isn't out of the ordinary, and multiple covered books is a thing, then our scenario here is a statistical certainty, surely. 

On 4/16/2022 at 5:07 PM, Stronguy said:
On 4/16/2022 at 12:52 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I've got a 100 Easy Crossword Puzzles cover attached to a Sgt. Fury book.  Anything is possible. 

On 4/16/2022 at 10:25 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I've got a 100 Easy Crossword Puzzles cover attached to a Sgt. Fury book.  Anything is possible. 

I think so, yes. 

What was five down again? 

On 4/16/2022 at 4:22 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

To me, that makes it likely. If both cover types being manually loaded together isn't out of the ordinary, and multiple covered books is a thing, then our scenario here is a statistical certainty, surely. 

It's important to remember, possibility =/= probability, and possible absolutely =/= likely.  There would have to be a perfect storm for it to happen.  The feeder for the covers gets adjusted to control the feed and sometimes that gets out of whack, thus you get issues that are known for having multiple covers.  In this case, the feed adjustment would have to allowed for 2 covers to come out at just the right time.  Could that have happened, sure - but not probable.  Could there have been something on the bottom of the direct cover that stuck it to the top newsstand cover, maybe.  In fact that would be the most likely explanation IMO.