• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tecs 1-26 In Grade -- The Quest Is Finally Over

546 posts in this topic

My Tec #16 is another Church copy. S. Borock must have been in a grumpy mood when he graded this a 9.2. It's flawless.

137105.jpg

This is always an overlooked cover. I think it's awesome!

My Tec #16 is another Church copy. S. Borock must have been in a grumpy mood when he graded this a 9.2. It's flawless.

137105.jpg

That's a resub candidate if I ever saw one!

137105.jpg

Killer cover. I prefer this action scene and strong coloring over the 15.

I've wondered whether they were looking at the cover prior to animating Aha's "Take on Me" music video.

Why do you think it got knocked down? It looks amazing!!

In the lighter scan, it looks like there might be a crease on the top right corner.

In the lighter scan, it looks like there might be a crease on the top right corner.

Exactly, but this "crease" was actually part of the manufacturing process. Similar production "creases" can be found on most of the early Tecs. It is no more of a defect than a slight miscut, and probably should not have affected the grade.

Exactly, but this "crease" was actually part of the manufacturing process. Similar production "creases" can be found on most of the early Tecs. It is no more of a defect than a slight miscut, and probably should not have affected the grade.

Then your first instinct was probably correct, Peter. The double chili-cheeseburger didn't sit well with Mr. Borock that day.

Then your first instinct was probably correct, Peter. The double chili-cheeseburger didn't sit well with Mr. Borock that day.

im sure He washed it down with some bourbon lol

Congrats Peter-- one of the finest pre hero runs assembled over its time :)

Great stuff, RHG!

Cover composition and layout is as visually intriguing today as it more than likely was 75 years ago.

The covers are eye catching and inviting. They resonate vintage crime drama, which no doubt inspired modern day shows like The Untouchables and Boardwalk Empire.

It's Eliot Ness vs. Nucky Thompson.

And the covers are provocative enough to make me want to get the books and read the stories!

:applause:

Detective #18 is a favorite of many GA collectors because of the cover's exquisite rendering of the villainous Fu Manchu. For years, it was assumed that the cover was by Leo O'Mealia, who drew the interior story "The Insidious Dr. Fu Manchu," because the artwork looks exactly like O'Mealia's style. It was later learned (from Flessel himself) that Flessel drew the cover. Flessel's uncanny skill in mimicking his contemporaries (another example is his cover of New Adventure 16, in which he does a dead-on impersonation of Joe Shuster) attests to his versatile talent.

My copy of #18 is a CGC 7.5.

137141.jpg.7ec36918537cedcedbc9e66e7e083247.jpg

137143.jpg.976c16ebc1690f464ca103ef28c7621e.jpg

Definitely one of the more memorable "Oriental Menace" covers. :cloud9:

Flessel indicated that it's actually a collaboration as another artist (whose name escapes me) drew the detail on Fu Manchu's jacket.

Detective #18 is a favorite of many GA collectors because of the cover's exquisite rendering of the villainous Fu Manchu. For years, it was assumed that the cover was by Leo O'Mealia, who drew the interior story "The Insidious Dr. Fu Manchu," because the artwork looks exactly like O'Mealia's style. It was later learned (from Flessel himself) that Flessel drew the cover. Flessel's uncanny skill in mimicking his contemporaries (another example is his cover of New Adventure 16, in which he does a dead-on impersonation of Joe Shuster) attests to his versatile talent.

My copy of #18 is a CGC 7.5.

Definitely one of the more memorable "Oriental Menace" covers. :cloud9:

Flessel indicated that it's actually a collaboration as another artist (whose name escapes me) drew the detail on Fu Manchu's jacket.

I heard it was an engraver, who also applied the technique to New Adventure #24.

Can anyone educate me?