• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tecs 1-26 In Grade -- The Quest Is Finally Over

546 posts in this topic

more faces - again the shading has a unique treatment to it.

The shading is very Steranko-esque.

Or perhaps we should start saying that Jim Steranko`s work was Flessel-esque.

you know, I'll be honest, its not the first thing that comes to mind for me, but in looking at some of steranko's covers for 30 seconds to reply to your comment, what struck me was not a similarity between the linework/shading of flessel and steranko, but between some steranko work and zeck. Take this cover out of the 60s and put it into the 80s and it could almost be by Zeck:

zhulk3.jpg

I just looked at this on CAF about 30 minutes before I saw this thread!

Certainly looks very nice for a 6.5 in that scan.

That cover always somehow reminds me of this Fantomas poster for the pose of the Crimson Avenger. If it was used as a reference, it would explain the seemingly "out of place" left hand of the Avenger unless he is using it to prop up his cape which is way too big and cumbersome. My discussion of the cover is in no means related to the quality of the copy you have :foryou:

fantomas.jpg

Certainly looks very nice for a 6.5 in that scan.

That cover always somehow reminds me of this Fantomas poster for the pose of the Crimson Avenger. If it was used as a reference, it would explain the seemingly "out of place" left hand of the Avenger unless he is using it to prop up his cape which is way too big and cumbersome. My discussion of the cover is in no means related to the quality of the copy you have :foryou:

fantomas.jpg

I highly recommend the films of Louis Feuillade but I'm doubtful the poster was inspiration for the cover. It could very well be a swipe, but it's more likely that it was from a pulp than from a silent film 25 years earlier.

Detective #22 is the first masked hero cover in the title, showcasing Jim Chambers' classic depiction of the Crimson Avenger.

My non-pedigree copy is a CGC 6.5:

Love that book :luhv:

Issue #23 marked the start of covers by Fred Guardineer, who drew the last four in the run. Here is the Church copy, a CGC 9.0:

Another former book of mine (along with the Church 'Tec 19); purchased from Gary Garter back in the day, now they're with RHG where they belong.

Issue #23 marked the start of covers by Fred Guardineer, who drew the last four in the run. Here is the Church copy, a CGC 9.0:

Another former book of mine (along with the Church 'Tec 19); purchased from Gary Garter back in the day, now they're with RHG where they belong.

If I recall correctly, Steve actually offered the #23 for sale in the first issue of the Comic Book Marketplace. I was just starting to get interested in the run and called and asked him about it, but didn't buy it. By the time I started to go hard after the series, it was gone and I never saw it again until many years later, when I eagerly snatched it up (for a much higher price, unfortunately).

Tec #24 has always been considered one of the most difficult pre-Bat issues to find. Some collectors have claimed that it is even rarer than nos. 2 and 3. In over 20 years, I only had one opportunity to purchase a copy in grade, which I did with an assist from G.A.tor.

Here is the Atlantic City CGC 7.5 copy of Detective #24:

137354.jpg.a81c47c048834b0278378b23e358bc65.jpg

Tec #24 has always been considered one of the most difficult pre-Bat issues to find. Some collectors have claimed that it is even rarer than nos. 2 and 3. In over 20 years, I only had one opportunity to purchase a copy in grade, which I did with an assist from G.A.tor.

definitely a tough issue in any grade!....july can't come fast enough :wishluck:

Is this an early depiction of pressing?

You're not the first to make that joke. Someone once suggested that that's Mr. Zaid looking through the window shocked and horrified.

You're not the first to make that joke. Someone once suggested that that's Mr. Zaid looking through the window shocked and horrified.

lol

I'm loving these Tec covers. As a Batman fan I guess I've never really bothered looking at anything before #27 but thanks to this thread I'm definately a fan.

Classic looking art all through these covers.