• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most affordable key book

154 posts in this topic

Once again, I see no love for Brave and the Bold #54. Its the first appearance of the Teen Titans and definitely the most underpriced Silver Age key as of this moment. You get easily get a VF/VF+ copy for $200-300.

This book is one of the only major keys from the Silver/Bronzes Ages that has not seen any kind of price bump.

After saying that the OP needed to provide more parameters, this is the book - along with Teen Titans 1 - that would be the "one" book I'd pick if I had to pick only one and didn't have any more guidance than I have right now.

Questions I would want answered for making a better choice is "how Key" and are we talking any grade or high grade?

But BB54 and TT1 would be on any list of mine of undervalued keys, regardless of the answers to the questions above.

My only contention with Teen Titans #1 is that while it does start the titled run, much like the higher valued Justice League of America #1, of a team that debuted over in B&B, Teen Titans didnt have the storried long run that JLA did. Just 53 issues and it was done in 1978 compared to JLA's 261 issues lasting thru the 80s when it was able to be read by so many younger fans who came to comics during the 80s boom.

Also Teen Titans got overshadowed by the "New Teen Titans" coming out and revamping the lineup and making its own mark.

So while I agree TT1 is undervalued, I think there a lot of factors keeping it down, and not likely to get it to rise. If there was a Teen Titan resurgence, more than likely we'd see a spike in the Wolfman Perez New Teen Titans #1 (from the 80s) over the one from the 60s. I think the "key" to have here is the B&B54

Once again, I see no love for Brave and the Bold #54. Its the first appearance of the Teen Titans and definitely the most underpriced Silver Age key as of this moment. You get easily get a VF/VF+ copy for $200-300.

This book is one of the only major keys from the Silver/Bronzes Ages that has not seen any kind of price bump.

After saying that the OP needed to provide more parameters, this is the book - along with Teen Titans 1 - that would be the "one" book I'd pick if I had to pick only one and didn't have any more guidance than I have right now.

Questions I would want answered for making a better choice is "how Key" and are we talking any grade or high grade?

But BB54 and TT1 would be on any list of mine of undervalued keys, regardless of the answers to the questions above.

My only contention with Teen Titans #1 is that while it does start the titled run, much like the higher valued Justice League of America #1, of a team that debuted over in B&B, Teen Titans didnt have the storried long run that JLA did. Just 53 issues and it was done in 1978 compared to JLA's 261 issues lasting thru the 80s when it was able to be read by so many younger fans who came to comics during the 80s boom.

Also Teen Titans got overshadowed by the "New Teen Titans" coming out and revamping the lineup and making its own mark.

So while I agree TT1 is undervalued, I think there a lot of factors keeping it down, and not likely to get it to rise. If there was a Teen Titan resurgence, more than likely we'd see a spike in the Wolfman Perez New Teen Titans #1 (from the 80s) over the one from the 60s. I think the "key" to have here is the B&B54

The "new" X-Men introduced in issue 94 only carried over a couple of team members - just like the 1980 revamp of TT. Both X-Men 1 and 94 have done quite well. If you consider the runs of all the Teen Titans books, they have had a comparable run to the JLA.

When interest in Teen Titans "first issues" finally comes around - and I'm convinced it will - I expect BB 54 and TT 1 from the mid '64-66 to be the biggest winners. DC Comics Presents 26 and TT 1 from 1980 will also benefit, but those books are far more plentiful,especially the #1. The cartoon series was popular (we'll see how the just launched new series does) and I just can't help but believe a movie will get done some day.

Back to another book mentioned in my first post, FC 596 - the first Turok - has the potential to be a blockbuster movie. The comic book had a long run with Dell/Gold Key. The Valiant run was successful and spawned a huge video game franchise and a new group of younger fans. We've seen successful movies about Native Americans. We've seen successful "Lost World" movies. And we've seen hugely successful Dinosaur movies. Why not comibine all three?

Hulk 180. True first appearance of wolverine and can be had for ~$2000 in 9.8 :o

(thumbs u

A good choice. There are cameo first appearances - and then there are CAMEO first appearances. I believe in time the hobby is going to get a bit more sophisticated and appreciate cameo first appearances that are substantial - like the last page splash for Wolverine in Hulk 180 - and value them higher.

Hulk 180. True first appearance of wolverine and can be had for ~$2000 in 9.8 :o

(thumbs u

A good choice. There are cameo first appearances - and then there are CAMEO first appearances. I believe in time the hobby is going to get a bit more sophisticated and appreciate cameo first appearances that are substantial - like the last page splash for Wolverine in Hulk 180 - and value them higher.

Thanks. I don't want to derail this thread as 180 vs 181 has been debated ad nauseum, but if you have dialogue and a full body shot...

Astonishing Tales 25 is the first appearance of Deathlok. Deathlok has had his own book and is a sustainable character. His first appearance in NM raw can be had for 20-30 bucks.

Astonishing Tales 25 is the first appearance of Deathlok. Deathlok has had his own book and is a sustainable character. His first appearance in NM raw can be had for 20-30 bucks.

^^

Even though I have a copy of this, I have never really cared for Deathlok. IMO he is not a key player.

Even though I have a copy of this, I have never really cared for Deathlok. IMO he is not a key player.

Totally agree.

I'll take your copy, please.

Totally agree.

Sorry dude, for some reason I have a real hard time letting my comics go. Well unless it's modern stuff. For example Sex #1 is really really awful!

Totally agree.

Sorry dude, for some reason I have a real hard time letting my comics go.

lol

Don't we all.

Hasn't he become obsolute by upgrades over the years - Robocop and Terminator :tonofbricks:

Hasn't he become obsolute by upgrades over the years - Robocop and Terminator :tonofbricks:

Exactly!

You all go purchase Rust #12 and Robocop #1 (Marvel Comics). Leave that old, worthless Astonishing Tales #25 to the beggers.

:whistle:

Exactly!

You all go purchase Rust #12 and Robocop #1 (Marvel Comics). Leave that old, worthless Astonishing Tales #25 to the beggers.

How many of these do you have?

Exactly!

None.

lying-smiley.gif

For anyone who continues ask, what the criteria for a key, they should go back a few pages where I presented it.

A key is:

A character who has continuous staying power (and more likely, their own book). I see how ASM 14 could be considered key, but that's because of the Green Goblin. I'd consider that one a semi-key because it didn't spawn a title of its own (or part of a team with its own title) and only appears on and off. Because of that, I'd consider most first appearances of villains to be semi-keys.

So the first Teen Titans appearance is a good DC key.

Deathlok, although he's one of my favorites, would be a considered a semi-key. He had his own book and had a nice run in Astonishing Tales, but no real staying power.

Exactly!

None.

lying-smiley.gif

That's to bad sir, but for some unknown reason I get the feeling I should start to call you pinocchio.