• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most affordable key book

154 posts in this topic

This was a book I wanted when I was a kid. They were pricey then. I bought a 9.6/9.8 raw for $16 last year. It's at CGC now. :)

Great luck with the final grading results.

:wishluck:

This was a book I wanted when I was a kid. They were pricey then. I bought a 9.6/9.8 raw for $16 last year. It's at CGC now. :)

Great luck with the final grading results.

:wishluck:

It had one defect (small spine ncb mark)... will probably come back 9.2 lol

FF # 52 is a sleeper.

X-Men #4 should be higher as well imo.

Would be happy to own a 9.4+ in either of those.

I haven't read the thread, I don't want to be swayed by other opinions, but how about My Greatest Adventure #80?

Doom Patrol keeps coming back again and again but this Silver Age key just never moves.

PM me Ryan - have got quite a few.

DD 1 for the moment is relatively affordable, but that's changing quickly. ST 110 is also gaining a lot of traction as well.

TTA 35 in HG is pretty pricey. Even in mid grade its breaking the 4 figure mark.

Ones definition of a key is all relative. Is ASM 14 a key? Most would say yes..others no.

Curious as to the OP's definition of a key?

This we need to get semantics over with first before we debate if somethign is a key.

Web of Spider-Man #18 :sumo:

I tried to change the description on Comicvine to mention this was the beginning of the Eddie Brock-Spidey fued. The mod rejected my change, telling me to prove that was Eddie Brock.

doh!

In the horror genre...

The most affordable GA key: Eerie #1 - for the significance of being the first full horror book, bondage cover + Joe Kubert art .... cheap

The most affordable SA key: Amazing Adventures #1 - Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby. Not enough? Compared to what high grade (early) Journey Into Mystery, Strange Tales, Tales of Suspense and Tales to Astonish go for....waaay cheap.

The most affordable BA key: House of Secrets #81 - return of the horror comics, also Neal Adams art + super rare in high grade relative to its age. IMHO really undervalued. House of Mystery #174 is a close second for the same reason, but relative to HOS 81 more common.

The most affordable CA key: horror comic titles were pretty much dead at this time, Saga of the Swamp Thing #37 with the first appearance of John Constantine/Hellblazer

The most affordable modern key: Spawn #1, as long as it stays cheaper to buy at 9.8 than buy raw and then grade.

I'm a big fan of FF 48.

It's hugely important, and pretty affordable because it is very, very common.

I agree,just a great book. :applause:

I'm in this camp.

So many factors, but this is fun conversation. FF #48 is "more key" to me because these are characters I relate to and know from growing up with them. Plus it's a two for one (SS and Galactus) book. Plus, it's pretty affordable even in mid- to high-mid grade.

+1 (or +4, whatever number we're on)

Easily the most "key bang" for your buck. :grin:

Once again, I see no love for Brave and the Bold #54. Its the first appearance of the Teen Titans and definitely the most underpriced Silver Age key as of this moment. You get easily get a VF/VF+ copy for $200-300.

This book is one of the only major keys from the Silver/Bronzes Ages that has not seen any kind of price bump.

Albedo 2

I wish it was still the most affordable. It took a dip for a few years, and then last year started picking back up. I guess Roy's 9.8 landed $7,000 (+) caught quite a bit of attention.

Once again, I see no love for Brave and the Bold #54. Its the first appearance of the Teen Titans and definitely the most underpriced Silver Age key as of this moment. You get easily get a VF/VF+ copy for $200-300.

This book is one of the only major keys from the Silver/Bronzes Ages that has not seen any kind of price bump.

Well I wish it would hurry up, as it's the only one I have.

After saying that the OP needed to provide more parameters, this is the book - along with Teen Titans 1 - that would be the "one" book I'd pick if I had to pick only one and didn't have any more guidance than I have right now.

Questions I would want answered for making a better choice is "how Key" and are we talking any grade or high grade?

But BB54 and TT1 would be on any list of mine of undervalued keys, regardless of the answers to the questions above.

I could make a really long list if I wanted, but a few other books that immediately come to mind are Flash 105 and Four color 596 (1st Turok - 1954!!)

Where was this thread yesterday when I was looking for a sub $300 key to buy? Thanks a lot guys lol

I read a couple of pages in here and then skipped to page 6 so I'm not sure if this was mentioned but Aquaman 35 is much cheaper than I thought it would be. First Black Manta is like $100 for a NM copy (according to guides) say whaaaat?

I'm a Green Lantern guy so I will drop GL 59 in there. First Guy Gardner, that's less than $100. GL 87 has been taking off in price, which is unfortunate because I want a higher grade copy.

I think this thread just furthers the idea that I need a low grade copy of DD #1 before it's too late! (dun duh duuuuh)

I'm not sure how what criteria is being used to define a 'key' book, but for me, a really affordable Silver Age 'key' has always been ASM Annual #1. I realize there's folks that don't consider it a necessary part of the the run, but honestly, this square-bound, white cover beauty where Spidey fights the Sinister Six is just screaming for a price hike.

In the Bronze Age, I've always found Marvel Team Up #1 difficult to obtain in high grade and very affordable considering its lengthy run and character popularity. The black borders do make this one easy to find in high grade.