• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most affordable key book

154 posts in this topic

For anyone who continues ask, what the criteria for a key, they should go back a few pages where I presented it.

A key is:

A character who has continuous staying power (and more likely, their own book). I see how ASM 14 could be considered key, but that's because of the Green Goblin. I'd consider that one a semi-key because it didn't spawn a title of its own (or part of a team with its own title) and only appears on and off. Because of that, I'd consider most first appearances of villains to be semi-keys.

its a good definition, my only caveat to this is that since so much of comic books is centered around good vs evil, any titles KEY villian (the #1 one) first appearance would also be key.

Im thinking, Green Goblin, Dr Doom, Sinestro... and for the uber-key guys (think Supers, Batman & Spiderman) who have been around with multiple very successful villains they can have more than one Arch Enemy key potentially (i.e. 1st Brainiac-5, 1st Posion Ivy, Scarecrow, and Riddler, 1st Rhino, etc... they have to be frequently in the book and be ongoing thorns in the side of the hero to be KEY in my book, but I think not having any villain 1st appearances only covers half of the comic book experience.

For anyone who continues ask, what the criteria for a key, they should go back a few pages where I presented it.

A key is:

A character who has continuous staying power (and more likely, their own book). I see how ASM 14 could be considered key, but that's because of the Green Goblin. I'd consider that one a semi-key because it didn't spawn a title of its own (or part of a team with its own title) and only appears on and off. Because of that, I'd consider most first appearances of villains to be semi-keys.

its a good definition, my only caveat to this is that since so much of comic books is centered around good vs evil, any titles KEY villian (the #1 one) first appearance would also be key.

Im thinking, Green Goblin, Dr Doom, Sinestro... and for the uber-key guys (think Supers, Batman & Spiderman) who have been around with multiple very successful villains they can have more than one Arch Enemy key potentially (i.e. 1st Brainiac-5, 1st Posion Ivy, Scarecrow, and Riddler, 1st Rhino, etc... they have to be frequently in the book and be ongoing thorns in the side of the hero to be KEY in my book, but I think not having any villain 1st appearances only covers half of the comic book experience.

The only villains I would consider that would have key books are Dr. Doom and the Joker. Both of these have crossed the span of their existence and continue to be relevant today. Both have had their own series, or have been a staple in the heroes series.

Not Sinestro? He appeared in 20 of the first 200 issues of Green Lantern , 11 of the next 106, and then 38 of the 67 vol 3 issues. Thats 69 of 373 issues, over 18% of the Green Lantern issues, and has been core in the New52 volume as well.

I agree Dr Doom and Joker stand head & shoulders above the rest, but there must be a few more villians worthy of being Key.

Dr Octopus

Kang

The Red Skull

Brainiac-5

Catwoman

anything?

Deathlok, although he's one of my favorites, would be a considered a semi-key. He had his own book and had a nice run in Astonishing Tales, but no real staying power.

+1

One of my favourite BA characters, but this is exactly the reason I didn't choose the book, and instead went for Hulk 180.

Alot of the books mentioned are definitely undervalued, but in regards to relevance, I will still go with Brave and the Bold #54. The Teen Titans are very relevant today, and have sparked 1 successful TV show (3 if you count Young Justice and Teen Titans Go), and are probably known by anyone who hasn't even picked up a comic book.

BB54 is a major Silver Age key that can be had for $200-300 in high grade, when by comparison a book like House of Secrets #92 (which is just being used as random example) is a book that is probably worth 2x-3x that, when its a Bronze Age book that features the first appearance of a character who, in my opinion is just as relevant as the Teen Titans.

BB54 will eventually see a bump, but right now it is definitely the most undervalued key out there.

A key is:

So the first Teen Titans appearance is a good DC key.

Deathlok, although he's one of my favorites, would be a considered a semi-key. He had his own book and had a nice run in Astonishing Tales, but no real staying power.

Well, that's actually untrue because there was a Green Goblin series back in the mid-90's and I think it ran 13 or 14 issues? So does this now make it a 'key' rather than a 'semi-key' based on the definition outlined above? (shrug)

I predict all of these books mentioned in this thread will have at least a small bump in their average prices in the coming months.

carnac0808.jpg

-slym

lol

I thought that a few times as these books were mentioned.

A key is:

Well, that's actually untrue because there was a Green Goblin series back in the mid-90's and I think it ran 13 or 14 issues? So does this now make it a 'key' rather than a 'semi-key' based on the definition outlined above? (shrug)

My opinion ASM 14 is a huge key,c'mon 1st app. of spideys biggest foe.Fugetaboutit! (thumbs u

A key is:

My opinion ASM 14 is a huge key,c'mon 1st app. of spideys biggest foe.Fugetaboutit! (thumbs u

+1. I thought about posting this thought up myself. Major key . On the Marvel side Dr. Doom is major key status as well. If you don't believe it go purchase a copy of either or both and see if it costs you a minor key price.

It takes great super villians to make a super hero great. How interesting would Batman or Spider-Man be if month after month they stopped liquor store hold ups and prevented people from double parking their cars?

I predict all of these books mentioned in this thread will have at least a small bump in their average prices in the coming months.

carnac0808.jpg

-slym

OK....X-Force #1 is waaaaay undervalued and with rumors of an X-Force movie being in the works it's suuuure to skyrocket

A key is:

+1. I thought about posting this thought up myself. Major key . On the Marvel side Dr. Doom is major key status as well. If you don't believe it go purchase a copy of either or both and see if it costs you a minor key price.

It takes great super villians to make a super hero great. How interesting would Batman or Spider-Man be if month after month they stopped liquor store hold ups and prevented people from double parking their cars?

After ASM 700 I would rate doc as his number one foe. Plus I always thought green goblin was really kitsch. With the pumpkin bombs and funny hat. He is more hilarious that menacing.

A key is:

After ASM 700 I would rate doc as his number one foe. Plus I always thought green goblin was really kitsch. With the pumpkin bombs and funny hat. He is more hilarious that menacing.

'Nuff Said..........

asm23_zps528b6cf2.jpg

A key is:

'Nuff Said..........

asm23_zps528b6cf2.jpg

I don't get? I think the crotch hugging green and purple suit helps my point. Looks like something from mardi-gras.

A key is:

'Nuff Said..........

asm23_zps528b6cf2.jpg

I don't get? I think the crotch hugging green and purple suit helps my point. Looks like something from mardi-gras.

I just noticed a cool comic action scene and wasn't focused on crotches or hugging them. (thumbs u

I was going through a $5 bin of books and found this little gem. This is is Neal Adams first published work drawn when he was 17 years old....

Direct Quote from Neal Adams. Source: http://www.webcitation.org/5lJycKN5e

"Adventures of the Fly #4 was my first work, and that panel was printed in a comic book. It probably is one of the greatest collector's items you could get of mine."

Mr Adams 1st published work.....

getfile_zpsaf2577ca.jpg

2013-05-04_16-09-38_527_zps82593208.jpg

A key is:

'Nuff Said..........

asm23_zps528b6cf2.jpg

I just noticed a cool comic action scene and wasn't focused on crotches or hugging them. (thumbs u

Ah see that was your problem. I always look at the crotch first.

But in all seriousness one average cover does not a super villain make.