• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most affordable key book

154 posts in this topic

I guess a key is a relative term, but generally I mean a character who has continuous staying power (and more likely, their own book). I see how ASM 14 could be considered key, but that's because of the Green Goblin. I'd consider that one a semi-key because it didn't spawn a title of its own (or part of a team with its own title) and only appears on and off. Because of that, I'd consider most first appearances of villains to be semi-keys.

You should also pick an age cutoff unless you're fine with Walking Dead #1 CGC 10.0 recommendations.

How about we do it like this:

The most affordable GA key:

The most affordable SA key:

The most affordable BA key:

The most affordable modern key:

What? No Copper Age?

1biqf.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

What? No Copper Age?

There are some amazing 1st that occur in the Copper Age. But let's keep that to ourselves so some folks don't drive the prices up like they have.

What? No Copper Age?

There are some amazing 1st that occur in the Copper Age. But let's keep that to ourselves so some folks don't drive the prices up like they have.

(thumbs u shhhhhhhhhh

What? No Copper Age?

(thumbs u shhhhhhhhhh

lol

Corrected.

While I'm a Marvel guy, I'd take a look at some of the DC silverage keys in terms of pound-for-pound affordability. I know right now Eides has a 3.5 Tec 225 on ebay for $750 BIN. Some of the other books like Flash 105, JLA 1, Brave and Bold 34, Showcase 8, etc. While some of these could be considered minor keys, they still offer pretty nice affordability compared to their Marvel counterparts.

If you were looking for Marvel, I'd say Strange Tales 110 is your best bet, followed by DD 1.

If I were going to drop a slightly larger sum of money on a higher grade book that has a lesser value but the highest ceiling to become a key issue, it would be an FF 52.

Most Affordable Bronze Age Key: Personally, I think Star Spangled War Stories #151, the first appearance of the Unknown Soldier, is vastly underrated and undervalued. The character carried his own series for over 100 issues. He had a revival limited series in the late 80's, then again in the 90's written by Garth Ennis. The title was brought back (with a new character in the lead) for a highly acclaimed run a few years ago. Plus I happen to think it would make a great movie, though there's no sign that Warner Bros. is working on one.

The price has been limited by the genre, some unfamiliarity with the character from current readers and also the fact that some collectors consider his first appearance to be OAAW #168, which muddies things. But SSWS #151 is basically the war genre equivalent of All-Star Western #10, only you can get it for one tenth the price. The character is just waiting for someone to give it the modern Jonah Hex treatment.

Most Affordable Bronze Age Key: Personally, I think Star Spangled War Stories #151, the first appearance of the Unknown Soldier, is vastly underrated and undervalued. The character carried his own series for over 100 issues. He had a revival limited series in the late 80's, then again in the 90's written by Garth Ennis. The title was brought back (with a new character in the lead) for a highly acclaimed run a few years ago. Plus I happen to think it would make a great movie, though there's no sign that Warner Bros. is working on one.

The price has been limited by the genre, some unfamiliarity with the character from current readers and also the fact that some collectors consider his first appearance to be OAAW #168, which muddies things. But SSWS #151 is basically the war genre equivalent of All-Star Western #10, only you can get it for one tenth the price. The character is just waiting for someone to give it the modern Jonah Hex treatment.

A book I made sure to keep when I was breaking up my collection a few years back so I focused more on Copper Age.

:applause:

Strange Tales 135, but pricing is on the up for awhile. Strange Tales 110 is a winner as well.

For DC Bats 232 is pure win. Bats 227 also holds value well. Tec 359 I would sit on awhile, and Tec 400 is less popular these days. House of Secrets 92 is a good one though.

Daredevil 1 immediately jumped into my head when I saw this thread. I can't think of a bigger SA solo hero that can be had for cheaper.

Lots of people come to Daredevil's defense - everyone says that book is so underrated and undervalued, but I don't think it is. The value is right on. It's just a book no one cares to want for some reason.

I like DD, he was my main read when I was getting into comics when I was a kid. But I think a lot of people are DD readers from #159 and up, ignoring a lot of the early stuff.

Daredevil is the Susan Lucci of the comic world.

I'm a big fan of FF 48.

It's hugely important, and pretty affordable because it is very, very common.

but so is most BA when you think about it, especially if you are mainly basing the relevance

on scarcity.

In Gold, I can't think of a truly affordable key. Maybe Marvel Family #1 -- first appearance of Black Adam. Relatively affordable because of decent print run, and a dormant (yet awesome) villain who's about to make a big splash in the current JLA book with issue #21.

In Silver, I will go with Action 252. Most important and recognizable female super-hero in comicdom after Woman Woman, has her own book, could be rolled into the nascent DC movie franchise, becoming a tougher book (certainly nowhere near as common as Tec 359), and prices steadily rising.

Bronze is tough to pick. Because of ridiculous amounts of supply, the book needs to be a 9.2 to 9.4 with white pages to be a "value" book as well as affordable.

I'm a big fan of FF 48.

It's hugely important, and pretty affordable because it is very, very common.

I agree,just a great book. :applause:

I'm in this camp.

So many factors, but this is fun conversation. FF #48 is "more key" to me because these are characters I relate to and know from growing up with them. Plus it's a two for one (SS and Galactus) book. Plus, it's pretty affordable even in mid- to high-mid grade.