• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most affordable key book

154 posts in this topic

I was contemplating the other day which book would fall in the category of the most affordable key book. I don't mean a semi key, but a true key book. To me, the least expensive of the Marvel keys is Daredevil 1.

Not sure about DC. What would you think?

Criteria for being considered a key:

A character who has continuous staying power (and more likely, their own book). I see how ASM 14 could be considered key, but that's because of the Green Goblin. I'd consider that one a semi-key because it didn't spawn a title of its own (or part of a team with its own title) and only appears on and off. Because of that, I'd consider most first appearances of villains to be semi-keys.

In the marvel universe only, Iron Man 1 might be a cheaper book considered a key....guess it really depends on where you draw the line!

Silver age only versus other periods?

marvel only versus others

Key as in truly a mega book, or just a first appearance

i guess i'm gonna answer your questoin with 3 questions ..... spoken like a true consultant!

Joey

Strange Tales 110 is going for more than DD #1. Just glancing at GPA @ 9.0 ST 110-$6,200 vs. DD 1 - $4,700

Not a lot of high grade TT 35 so not much data to compare.

What about DC?

DD 1 in 4.0 is averaging $550 over the last year.

ST 110 in 4.0 is averaging $490 over the last year.

TTA 35 in 4.0 is averaging $340 over the last year.

Sgt Fury 1 (has no sales in 4.0) in 4.5 is averaging $610 over the last year.

In my mind these are the bottom four of the Marvel mega keys. I chose 4.0 grades because that is a pretty good jumping in point for collectors wanting a key issue.

I think TTA 35 wins as the most affordable mega key (right now)

What surprises me most with the list of 4 I just made is how well Sgt Fury is doing.

DD 1 for the moment is relatively affordable, but that's changing quickly. ST 110 is also gaining a lot of traction as well.

TTA 35 in HG is pretty pricey. Even in mid grade its breaking the 4 figure mark.

Ones definition of a key is all relative. Is ASM 14 a key? Most would say yes..others no.

Curious as to the OP's definition of a key?

how key are we talking?

Swamp Thing #1 is cheap but it's not his first appearance so not a BIG key, Green Lantern 76 is pretty affordable in some grades, same with Batman 232

I guess a key is a relative term, but generally I mean a character who has continuous staying power (and more likely, their own book). I see how ASM 14 could be considered key, but that's because of the Green Goblin. I'd consider that one a semi-key because it didn't spawn a title of its own (or part of a team with its own title) and only appears on and off. Because of that, I'd consider most first appearances of villains to be semi-keys.

Figuring out what is a key is harder for DC than Marvel in my opinion. What with all their "first Silver Age appearance" and stuff. I feel like they have a ton of semi-keys but only a few real mega keys, and none of those are cheap. Especially since "Mega Key" for DC means something different than for Marvel (i.e. Action Comics #1).

In terms of Silver Age stuff, though, like Strange Tales #110 and Sgt. Fury #1, I have been looking for a solid, affordable lower grade Action #252 for awhile and prices seem to be moving up faster than I can make money to get one. That's the first one that comes to mind for a DC Mega Key that is still maybe cheaper than it should be.

Maybe Detective #359? How key it is depends on your point of view I think.

I guess a key is a relative term, but generally I mean a character who has continuous staying power (and more likely, their own book). I see how ASM 14 could be considered key, but that's because of the Green Goblin. I'd consider that one a semi-key because it didn't spawn a title of its own (or part of a team with its own title) and only appears on and off. Because of that, I'd consider most first appearances of villains to be semi-keys.

Zatanna's first appearance in Hawkman #4 is still pretty damn cheap. If she were on the cover, I'd bet the book would be worth 3x as much. I'm on the fence whether it's a key or semi-key, but it's basically the DC version of Strange Tales #110 in that the cover is holding it back from reaching its potential. ST #110 is finally breaking out of that, but Hawkman #4 hasn't.

Figuring out what is a key is harder for DC than Marvel in my opinion. What with all their "first Silver Age appearance" and stuff. I feel like they have a ton of semi-keys but only a few real mega keys, and none of those are cheap. Especially since "Mega Key" for DC means something different than for Marvel (i.e. Action Comics #1).

In terms of Silver Age stuff, though, like Strange Tales #110 and Sgt. Fury #1, I have been looking for a solid, affordable lower grade Action #252 for awhile and prices seem to be moving up faster than I can make money to get one. That's the first one that comes to mind for a DC Mega Key that is still maybe cheaper than it should be.

Maybe Detective #359? How key it is depends on your point of view I think.

If I use the criteria that I presented, then I'd consider Detective 359, Action 252 key books since both new characters had recurring solo runs in their own title and in Detective Comics and Adventure comics, respectively.

You should also pick an age cutoff unless you're fine with Walking Dead #1 CGC 10.0 recommendations.

You should also pick an age cutoff unless you're fine with Walking Dead #1 CGC 10.0 recommendations.

How about we do it like this:

The most affordable GA key:

The most affordable SA key:

The most affordable BA key:

The most affordable modern key:

How about we do it like this:

The most affordable GA key:

The most affordable SA key:

The most affordable BA key:

The most affordable modern key:

What? No Copper Age?