• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most affordable key book

154 posts in this topic

For anyone who continues ask, what the criteria for a key, they should go back a few pages where I presented it.

A key is:

A character who has continuous staying power (and more likely, their own book). I see how ASM 14 could be considered key, but that's because of the Green Goblin. I'd consider that one a semi-key because it didn't spawn a title of its own (or part of a team with its own title) and only appears on and off. Because of that, I'd consider most first appearances of villains to be semi-keys.

So the first Teen Titans appearance is a good DC key.

Deathlok, although he's one of my favorites, would be a considered a semi-key. He had his own book and had a nice run in Astonishing Tales, but no real staying power.

Well, that's actually untrue because there was a Green Goblin series back in the mid-90's and I think it ran 13 or 14 issues? So does this now make it a 'key' rather than a 'semi-key' based on the definition outlined above? (shrug)

My opinion ASM 14 is a huge key,c'mon 1st app. of spideys biggest foe.Fugetaboutit! (thumbs u

+1. I thought about posting this thought up myself. Major key . On the Marvel side Dr. Doom is major key status as well. If you don't believe it go purchase a copy of either or both and see if it costs you a minor key price.

It takes great super villians to make a super hero great. How interesting would Batman or Spider-Man be if month after month they stopped liquor store hold ups and prevented people from double parking their cars?

After ASM 700 I would rate doc as his number one foe. Plus I always thought green goblin was really kitsch. With the pumpkin bombs and funny hat. He is more hilarious that menacing.

'Nuff Said..........

asm23_zps528b6cf2.jpg

I don't get? I think the crotch hugging green and purple suit helps my point. Looks like something from mardi-gras.

I just noticed a cool comic action scene and wasn't focused on crotches or hugging them. (thumbs u

Ah see that was your problem. I always look at the crotch first.

But in all seriousness one average cover does not a super villain make.

Maybe.

But the villain in the "crotch hugging" suit killed his girl. I think that makes him super.........

For anyone who continues ask, what the criteria for a key, they should go back a few pages where I presented it.

A key is:

A character who has continuous staying power (and more likely, their own book). I see how ASM 14 could be considered key, but that's because of the Green Goblin. I'd consider that one a semi-key because it didn't spawn a title of its own (or part of a team with its own title) and only appears on and off. Because of that, I'd consider most first appearances of villains to be semi-keys.

Deathlok, although he's one of my favorites, would be a considered a semi-key. He had his own book and had a nice run in Astonishing Tales, but no real staying power.

Well, that's actually untrue because there was a Green Goblin series back in the mid-90's and I think it ran 13 or 14 issues? So does this now make it a 'key' rather than a 'semi-key' based on the definition outlined above? (shrug)

My opinion ASM 14 is a huge key,c'mon 1st app. of spideys biggest foe.Fugetaboutit! (thumbs u

+1. I thought about posting this thought up myself. Major key . On the Marvel side Dr. Doom is major key status as well. If you don't believe it go purchase a copy of either or both and see if it costs you a minor key price.

It takes great super villians to make a super hero great. How interesting would Batman or Spider-Man be if month after month they stopped liquor store hold ups and prevented people from double parking their cars?

After ASM 700 I would rate doc as his number one foe. Plus I always thought green goblin was really kitsch. With the pumpkin bombs and funny hat. He is more hilarious that menacing.

'Nuff Said..........

asm23_zps528b6cf2.jpg

I don't get? I think the crotch hugging green and purple suit helps my point. Looks like something from mardi-gras.

I just noticed a cool comic action scene and wasn't focused on crotches or hugging them. (thumbs u

Maybe.

But the villain in the "crotch hugging" suit killed his girl. I think that makes him super.........

And now we return to my original point. Doc Oc is more important, as he

Killed Peter Parker (well his mind as least)

Sure, I can see it being worth 10-20 times what it is now then.

So, $2.50-$5 max.

-slym

My post was obviously in jest...I couldn't imagine ever paying $5 for an X-Force #1!

Sure, I can see it being worth 10-20 times what it is now then.

So, $2.50-$5 max.

My post was obviously in jest...I couldn't imagine ever paying $5 for an X-Force #1!

Mine was in jest as well - no one is gonna pay $5 for X-Force #1!

(But that is about 20 times what it is worth!)

:D

-slym

I look periodically to upgrade my Spider-man set. By periodically I mean once a week.

On my radar?

I am always looking to upgrade my copies of ASM 3, 4, 13, 14, 15, 37 and 50.

A key is:

'Nuff Said..........

asm23_zps528b6cf2.jpg

For a non-key - I have always admired this cover. For me, it is the best in the Ditko run.

Once again, I see no love for Brave and the Bold #54. Its the first appearance of the Teen Titans and definitely the most underpriced Silver Age key as of this moment. You get easily get a VF/VF+ copy for $200-300.

This book is one of the only major keys from the Silver/Bronzes Ages that has not seen any kind of price bump.

I thought Brave and Bold #60 was the first appearance of the Teen Titans?

#54 is just a team-up of Robin, Kid Flash & Aqualad.

B&B 54 (no mention of Teen Titans on cover or inside book)

54_1.jpg

online photo sharing

B&B 60

60_1.jpg

img host

Once again, I see no love for Brave and the Bold #54. Its the first appearance of the Teen Titans and definitely the most underpriced Silver Age key as of this moment. You get easily get a VF/VF+ copy for $200-300.

This book is one of the only major keys from the Silver/Bronzes Ages that has not seen any kind of price bump.

I thought Brave and Bold #60 was the first appearance of the Teen Titans?

#54 is just a team-up of Robin, Kid Flash & Aqualad.

I believe #60 is the first of appearance of the new WonderGirl (Donna Troy) and she joins the Teen Titans in this issue (at least that is what the CGC notes are on it) I have a decent looking copy of it...pretty sweet book IMHO!!!!! still a minor key and what is this thread all about...keys that can be had at a very reasonable price!!! This is one of those books!!!! :)

<a  href=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8418/8712277708_53d99c69f1_c.jpg' alt='8712277708_53d99c69f1_c.jpg'>

Brave & the Bold #60 CGC 7.5 by gino2paulus2, on Flickr[/img]

A key is:

'Nuff Said..........

Maybe.

Killed Peter Parker (well his mind as least)[/spoiler]

The Green Goblin is more important than the good doc - though certainly Octavius is a major player in Spidey's rogue gallery.

The Jackal was the big deal during the Spidey clone story arc. Kraven was the man in 1987 and everybody loved Venom in the 90's. It's not about the most recent bit of fluff and nonsense that publisher's currently churn out that is read by a fraction of number of people that read comics in the 1960's. It's about legacy.

I'm not knocking Doc O. The second Spider-Man movie remains my favorite. But the Goblin owns the legacy of villian #1

As for GG's costume, I don't get your point. You think the Joker is well dressed?

+1 - just bought a lovely copy that is at CGC as we speak.

Very underated book.

Every one of you is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

The most key book of all time to best value for your buck ratio only brings up one book from the last 70 years.

Mr. T and the T-Force. First APP Mr. T and its drawn by Neal Adams.

you're welcome.

Jimmy Linguini - Conveyor of the OFG.

TOS 39 is still affordable considering how big Iron Man is now all over the world. I believe at some point...TOS 39 and IM 1 will see big spikes in value due to the amazing success of these movies.

We are talking all time movie sales and these movies are breaking records over all time classics. Truly amazing.

I also agree with many of the books mentioned in this thread.

DD 1 and Sgt. Fury 1 are among my favorites as well.

The most key book of all time to best value for your buck ratio only brings up one book from the last 70 years.

you're welcome.

I pity the fool that doesn't listen to your advice. I'm out to buy a suitcase full.

you're welcome.

Nope. This is:

001.jpg

It has Spider-Man and even says "Collectors Item" right on the front cover.

(:

-slym

you're welcome.

Nope. This is:

001.jpg

(:

-slym

HOLY Schnikes!!!! lol that is awesome in an extremely weird way...NO JOKE That particular book there my friends was one of the first comics I EVER owned (and have since forgot about)...My Granny bought it for me and my cousins for Christmas I believe back in the day...Unfortunately I am no longer in possession of it :cry: I am going to re-acquire this book immediately for pure nostalgia purposes!!!! I am sure that this MAJOR KEY can be found in a bargain bin somewhere!!! :wishluck::roflmao:

you're welcome.

Nope. This is:

001.jpg

(:

-slym

Real first APP of Superpro

SuperPro1_zps7f0d7eda.jpg

Jimmy Linguini - Conveyor of the OFG - Still think MR. T is better than fake Superbowl Heros

Just don't buy any copies of Archie vs Punisher. No one ever buy that.

Those are for me.

A key is:

'Nuff Said..........

Maybe.

Killed Peter Parker (well his mind as least)[/spoiler]

The Green Goblin is more important than the good doc - though certainly Octavius is a major player in Spidey's rogue gallery.

The Jackal was the big deal during the Spidey clone story arc. Kraven was the man in 1987 and everybody loved Venom in the 90's. It's not about the most recent bit of fluff and nonsense that publisher's currently churn out that is read by a fraction of number of people that read comics in the 1960's. It's about legacy.

I'm not knocking Doc O. The second Spider-Man movie remains my favorite. But the Goblin owns the legacy of villian #1

As for GG's costume, I don't get your point. You think the Joker is well dressed?

I find the joker menancing. I find the GG comical.

I can see your point re the most recent. But I this is not only the most recent it is also one of the most important. PP is DEAD!!!

I am finding a striking similarity between the Green Goblin and Superpro!!!!!! Hear me out here...Green Goblin=Norman Osborn who ended up being the Iron Patriot...And lastly the The Iron Patriot definitely modeled his armor after SUPERPRO!!!!!! Check out the color pallet!!!!! Hence in a way, Superpro has a lot to do with the iron patriot's comicbook success altogether!!!! Kidding!!!!:)