• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants 98 CGC 10.0

1,026 posts in this topic

A 9.8 could have a minor flaw or two - VERY minor.

A 9.9 can have one minor flaw - again, VERY minor.

A 10.0 can have no flaws whatsoever.

And I imagine there are magnifying glasses used at the CGC grading tables... along with black-lights and other things we aren't privy to.

:shrug:

-slym

Do you know the standards? Or just prtend too?

I've heard dosimeters and Geiger counters are not yet used if that helps?

:lol:

-slym

And I imagine there are magnifying glasses used at the CGC grading tables... along with black-lights and other things we aren't privy to.

I'm not sure your assessment of a 10.0 is completely accurate, though that would be my expectation of a 10.0 book.

Someone had brought this up when one of the Wolverine 1 Limited Series 10.0s was posted on here a few years back.

Someone clarified a 10.0 is the best example of a book that CGC has graded. Not the most perfect book created, including flawless spine, corners, page quality, etc. I think the discussion came up because of the Heritage Wolverine 1 Limited Series CGC 10.0 that had Off-White To White Pages.

Wolverine 1 Limited Series CGC 10.0 OW-W Pages

Hey, but what do I know? I lean towards facts and reality.

(shrug)

Yeah, as has been pointed out - CGC's standards are not publicly known, so who is to say they use the accepted form of what "perfect" means.

*sigh*

-slym

Offer it through CLink or Heritage ASAP...

Once one "10" has been found the barrier has been broken and others will try to cash in and find one. What is interesting is that this will dilute 9.8's and 9.9's. However this is a 90's book that saw a rather large print run with many copies out there that may try to play NM98 lottery.

Sell Sell Sell and I wish you the best of luck with the sale and the best of health in whatever you do with the money.

Is this the result of the new CGC/Nelson system? If so, they couldn't get better publicity that this.

If not it kinda shatters the myth of 10.0s not existing in the wild. NM98 is what?, over 20 years old? And show stock, no less.

Congrats. (thumbs u

I'm not sure your assessment of a 10.0 is completely accurate, though that would be my expectation of a 10.0 book.

Someone had brought this up when one of the Wolverine 1 Limited Series 10.0s was posted on here a few years back.

Someone clarified a 10.0 is the best example of a book that CGC has graded. Not the most perfect book created, including flawless spine, corners, page quality, etc. I think the discussion came up because of the Heritage Wolverine 1 Limited Series CGC 10.0 that had Off-White To White Pages.

(shrug)

Yeah, as has been pointed out - CGC's standards are not publicly known, so who is to say they use the accepted form of what "perfect" means.

*sigh*

Actually in this case, the standards are publicly known, and came from Steve Borock's mouth when he was president. He did an interview in Wizard where he commented on the 10.0 grade. The article was scanned and posted on many chatboards, and that's where Bosco's (accurate) comments come from.

The sky's the limit, but only until another 10 gets subbed. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying you should market this asap.

I agree there is no solo movie on the horizon and seeing how many 9.9's have come about the past few years I'm not so sure there won't be a few more of these.

(shrug)

*sigh*

Actually in this case, the standards are publicly known, and came from Steve Borock's mouth when he was president. He did an interview in Wizard where he commented on the 10.0 grade. The article was scanned and posted on many chatboards, and that's where Bosco's (accurate) comments come from.

I want everyone to note that last comment. Accurate!

:acclaim:

Just kidding. But that Wolverine 1 CGC 10.0 OW/W confirmed it was not about be the most pristine book ever produced. It is the best example of that exact book graded by CGC. Early on, I assumed it was about total perfection only, which would be hard to compare against if you have never seen the best book straight off the press.

Once one "10" has been found the barrier has been broken and others will try to cash in and find one. What is interesting is that this will dilute 9.8's and 9.9's. However this is a 90's book that saw a rather large print run with many copies out there that may try to play NM98 lottery.

Sell Sell Sell and I wish you the best of luck with the sale and the best of health in whatever you do with the money.

I've got a raw one that is flawless,wonder if it's a candidate for 10.0? hm

Yes, it is. (thumbs u

It will be great to see the 10.0 first. Then you can judge for yourself. But I can't see CGC handing out 10.0s too easily just because one book has broken the barrier. But it would be cool to see another hit the census.

:wishluck:

(shrug)

*sigh*

Just kidding. But that Wolverine 1 CGC 10.0 OW/W confirmed it was not about be the most pristine book ever produced. It is the best example of that exact book graded by CGC. Early on, I assumed it was about total perfection only, which would be hard to compare against if you have never seen the best book straight off the press.

That is interesting to know. Can anyone link the article?

It sounds like an unworkable way to grade. If you have never graded a copy of a book before the 1st copy would be the best you have graded. Does that make it a ten?

Once you have a large pool of books what if the best example has already been given a 9.8. Do you need to track it down and say "oh sorry this book is actually the best we have seen so it should be a 10".

Also if you have awarded a ten and a new book is submitted in better condition it would require the retrospective cancelling of the old grade.

Having a relative standard is loopy.

(shrug)

*sigh*

That is interesting to know. Can anyone link the article?

It sounds like an unworkable way to grade. If you have never graded a copy of a book before the 1st copy would be the best you have graded. Does that make it a ten?

Once you have a large pool of books what if the best example has already been given a 9.8. Do you need to track it down and say "oh sorry this book is actually the best we have seen so it should be a 10".

Also if you have awarded a ten and a new book is submitted in better condition it would require the retrospective cancelling of the old grade.

Having a relative standard is loopy.

I was going to make an offer on Brian's copy...but a better copy came along...and on Craigslist no less!!! :banana:

NM9811_zps2ea26980.jpg