• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants 98 CGC 10.0

1,026 posts in this topic

troglodytes-make-great-poker-players_o_1566773.jpg

-slym

I confess it's a little of both. "Orange" was talking about one specific standard (the Gem Mint 10) which has a specific definition (per S.B's previous posts) and you immediately dove into a delicious syllogistic fallacy of "the one thing (Gem Mint grading standard) cannot be true unless you can provide proof of all the other things (all the other grading standards). Awesome sauce.

Wow I have never looked at how many copies of this book are graded and to think people are still sitting on cases of these.....

Rare will not likely be a word used to describe a high grade NM 98 anytime soon...

-slym

I confess it's a little of both. "Orange" was talking about one specific standard (the Gem Mint 10) which has a specific definition (per S.B's previous posts) and you immediately dove into a delicious syllogistic fallacy of "the one thing (Gem Mint grading standard) cannot be true unless you can provide proof of all the other things (all the other grading standards). Awesome sauce.

How come you didn't say awesome sauce in person? :(

I never said one cannot be true without the other...

Plus, as far as I know, Borock isn't affiliated with CGC anymore, correct? So without a definitive list of CGC's standards being known, that definition of the 10-grade might not apply anymore.

But what do I know, I am just an behind a computer. To be perfectly honest, I had no idea SB ever said that, but ignorance is no excuse. However, until we see CGC itself officially list their standards for grading, no one will really be sure about any of this. That was my point.

So, I apologise for not knowing SB had ever mentioned this standard for the 10.

-slym

Wow I have never looked at how many copies of this book are graded and to think people are still sitting on cases of these.....

Rare will not likely be a word used to describe a high grade NM 98 anytime soon...

...except in that one New Mutants Annual #2 auction on eBay. Or probably 1000 other eBay auctions.

;)

-slym

Plus, as far as I know, Borock isn't affiliated with CGC anymore, correct? So without a definitive list of CGC's standards being known, that definition of the 10-grade might not apply anymore.

But what do I know, I am just an behind a computer. To be perfectly honest, I had no idea SB ever said that, but ignorance is no excuse. However, until we see CGC itself officially list their standards for grading, no one will really be sure about any of this. That was my point.

-slym

The only apology necessary is for spelling apologize, "apologise."

-slym

Oh, is that what he was saying? Thank you for interpreting his gibberish "English". Now I know for sure he was replying to the wrong person (thumbs u

The standards may have changed since Borock left, but he was president of CGC when he told Wizard the guidelines for a 10.0, so it was official at the time.

-slym

Oh, is that what he was saying? Thank you for interpreting his gibberish "English". Now I know for sure he was replying to the wrong person (thumbs u

:lol:

Ladies & gentlemen, my new personal troll.

-slym

The standards may have changed since Borock left, but he was president of CGC when he told Wizard the guidelines for a 10.0, so it was official at the time.

Was this NM98 graded at the time Borock was part of the company?

-slym

1q7m4.jpg

1q7m4.jpg

lol

My point stands, as of today, no one here knows what CGCs current standards are.

But, I will not be the cause of getting this thread locked.

On that, I'm out of this thread. Mock & belittle me all you want.

-slym

My point stands, as of today, no one here knows what CGCs current standards are.

-slym

For the record...I was doing neither. :foryou:

Hundreds of people know plenty of their standards via reverse engineering them. If you're grandstanding for some reason because you're pissed that CGC has never documented their standards and made them publicly available, we feel your pain, but hey, name me another certification company in another hobby who has done that. I don't believe you'll be able to, so if you are indeed expressing butthurt about CGC keeping their special sauce recipe secret, I'm afraid none of us here can help ease the pain. :sorry:

-slym

I got a message that there was someone needing mocking and belittling in this thread.

Hundreds of people know plenty of their standards via reverse engineering them. If you're grandstanding for some reason because you're pissed that CGC has never documented their standards and made them publicly available, we feel your pain, but hey, name me another certification company in another hobby who has done that. I don't believe you'll be able to, so if you are indeed expressing butthurt about CGC keeping their special sauce recipe secret, I'm afraid none of us here can help ease the pain. :sorry:

I know nothing of coins, but would this count?

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Grading-Counterfeit-Detection-Edition/dp/0375720502

"THE GUIDE THAT EXPLAINS, ILUSTRATES, AND SETS THE STANDARD FOR GRADING UNITED STATES COINS

The world's largest and most prestigious coin grading organization has created an amazing, one-of-a-kind guide that reveals its grading and authentication secrets. From the introduction:

"By furnishing a simple yet detailed guide to grading coins, PCGS has made it easy to understand the number that appears on a grading holder. Reading this book will make you an expert."

– Jay W. Johnson, Former Director, United States Mint

This book illustrates and explains with precise descriptions and digital images how you can determine the exact condition of a coin. Here is a coin grading volume so complete that—like its author, PCGS—it indeed sets the standard for grading coins."

I'm going to bring up something incredibly unpopular: Overstreet's Grading Guide, Third Edition.

By including CGC graded books in this guide, does it not imply that these are the guidelines that CGC uses on average? There will always be mistakes and unique cases that fall outside the book; however, since CGC allowed the use of its graded books as examples of Overstreet grades, this book, de facto, contains the definitive, published, grading guidelines for CGC.

:fear: