• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants 98 CGC 10.0

1,026 posts in this topic

sure would like to know the criteria for assigning a 9.9 versus a 10.0. Determining the difference between those 2 grades must require microscopes or molecular level data.

:)

Grats

A 9.8 could have a minor flaw or two - VERY minor.

We ARE talking about CGC, right?

What 9.8's have you been looking at?

I've seen 9.8's that could have easily been 9.0's! :facepalm:

I was using a well-known definition of those grades. Whether or not CGC actually goes by them is another story.

-slym

All you have to do is look at CGC's grading for the last 11+ years to see that they don't consistently go by their own standards lol

We don't know what their standards are as they don't publish them. So we don't know if they follow them or not.

Send it to supapimp :P

No that's just awesome Brian, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy :applause:

If you're going to sell it sooner rather than later you might want to wait just another month for the new Deadpool video game. Apparently it's a great game and will only give the character more exposure. Then again you don't want to risk another 10 hitting the market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadpool_%28video_game%29

Would love to see a scan when you have it.

-Matt

A 9.9 can have one minor flaw - again, VERY minor.

A 10.0 can have no flaws whatsoever.

And I imagine there are magnifying glasses used at the CGC grading tables... along with black-lights and other things we aren't privy to.

:shrug:

-slym

Do you know the standards? Or just prtend too?

I've heard dosimeters and Geiger counters are not yet used if that helps?

Like the saying goes, you got to be in it to win it. If your out there dilligently hunting for it, you have a better chance of finding it. And if I've learned anything from these boards, is that people like Brian who are always on the lookout for great books ( as evidenced by what is frequently posted for sale by Brian) have the greatest chance of finding them.

This only goes to further prove that point. Congrads Brian :applause:

A 9.9 can have one minor flaw - again, VERY minor.

A 10.0 can have no flaws whatsoever.

And I imagine there are magnifying glasses used at the CGC grading tables... along with black-lights and other things we aren't privy to.

:shrug:

-slym

I'm not sure your assessment of a 10.0 is completely accurate, though that would be my expectation of a 10.0 book.

Someone had brought this up when one of the Wolverine 1 Limited Series 10.0s was posted on here a few years back.

Someone clarified a 10.0 is the best example of a book that CGC has graded. Not the most perfect book created, including flawless spine, corners, page quality, etc. I think the discussion came up because of the Heritage Wolverine 1 Limited Series CGC 10.0 that had Off-White To White Pages.

Wolverine 1 Limited Series CGC 10.0 OW-W Pages

Hey, but what do I know? I lean towards facts and reality.

(shrug)

Someone clarified a 10.0 is the best example of a book that CGC has graded. Not the most perfect book created, including flawless spine, corners, page quality, etc.

So they rescind the grade when a better one comes along hm

Someone clarified a 10.0 is the best example of a book that CGC has graded. Not the most perfect book created, including flawless spine, corners, page quality, etc.

So they rescind the grade when a better one comes along hm

With the approach described and then validated with that OW/W 10.0, you would think so. But reality is no collector is going to mail their 10.0 book back in for relabeling when a better book comes along.

Foolkiller. Congrats on the lotto hit. Put this book up for sale ASAP. If another 10 pops up, you could have (in my opinion) lost more than half its value overnight. You also want to sell on the hype, not when the movie or whatever is coming hits. Drag in the speculators for the higher pricing.

Also, if you put it up on here for sale, tread carefully not to undervalue or price it so far out that the book is ignored. Use other keys in that era that have had 9.9's then 10's to valuate the price as best as possible. Don't get greedy. Just sell it at a price that would be considered FMV by you. The sky is the limit, there is a person out there that will pay whatever it takes, realistically you want to find a few good bidders willing to fight it out a little to own it. I would throw it onto the open market where there is a lot of visibility for comic buyers and auction it off.

Then get yourself a nice 9.8 and use the rest of that money to buy a nice Silver Key that has a proven stable price record.

My humble opinion.

So -- I remember all the discussion about the NM 98 9.9 thread about what was good value etc.

I just received word that I received a NM 98 CGC 10.0 white in my latest submission.

Thoughts?

Obviously, I'm very excited.

That is like hitting a 10-20k mini lotto! Honestly, I think it will do the same thing the first 9.9 did. There are grade junkies and there are people who honestly have to have what is perceived as the best. I think it will also cause an immediate 20-30% hit to the FMV of the 9.9s. lol

I hope Boston Corbett shows up to give me an economics lesson.

This was my first thought.

Paging Boston!

I would have this comic long enough to take a picture with it (to prove it was once mine) before selling that thing! lol

Congrats!

+1 I'd wear it around your neck like Flavor Flav for at least a week! lol

9906_Flavor-Flav.jpg

(worship) Congrats man!!!!