• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants 98 CGC 10.0

1,026 posts in this topic

A 9.8 could have a minor flaw or two - VERY minor.

A 9.9 can have one minor flaw - again, VERY minor.

A 10.0 can have no flaws whatsoever.

And I imagine there are magnifying glasses used at the CGC grading tables... along with black-lights and other things we aren't privy to.

:shrug:

I'm not sure your assessment of a 10.0 is completely accurate, though that would be my expectation of a 10.0 book.

Someone had brought this up when one of the Wolverine 1 Limited Series 10.0s was posted on here a few years back.

Someone clarified a 10.0 is the best example of a book that CGC has graded. Not the most perfect book created, including flawless spine, corners, page quality, etc. I think the discussion came up because of the Heritage Wolverine 1 Limited Series CGC 10.0 that had Off-White To White Pages.

Wolverine 1 Limited Series CGC 10.0 OW-W Pages

Hey, but what do I know? I lean towards facts and reality.

(shrug)

Yeah, as has been pointed out - CGC's standards are not publicly known, so who is to say they use the accepted form of what "perfect" means.

*sigh*

Actually in this case, the standards are publicly known, and came from Steve Borock's mouth when he was president. He did an interview in Wizard where he commented on the 10.0 grade. The article was scanned and posted on many chatboards, and that's where Bosco's (accurate) comments come from.

Can you show me a definitive list of standards, starting at the bottom grade and working to the top, that shows the standard for every grade? Not just a transcribed interview on what a 10 is, but the entire list of every grade, per CGC's use? If so, I know I am not the only one who would like to see it.

-slym

Someone had brought this up when one of the Wolverine 1 Limited Series 10.0s was posted on here a few years back.

Someone clarified a 10.0 is the best example of a book that CGC has graded. Not the most perfect book created, including flawless spine, corners, page quality, etc. I think the discussion came up because of the Heritage Wolverine 1 Limited Series CGC 10.0 that had Off-White To White Pages.

With that definition of a 10.0, then they have to have some sort of threshold for # of issues graded/time passed after the 1st copy is graded, etc.

Otherwise, there would be tones of 10.0's, as the best example of a book is constantly changing with each submission.

You just got lazy by putting in an "11" without changing the grade designation to über mint or miiiiiiint

lol

A 9.8 could have a minor flaw or two - VERY minor.

A 9.9 can have one minor flaw - again, VERY minor.

A 10.0 can have no flaws whatsoever.

And I imagine there are magnifying glasses used at the CGC grading tables... along with black-lights and other things we aren't privy to.

:shrug:

I'm not sure your assessment of a 10.0 is completely accurate, though that would be my expectation of a 10.0 book.

Wolverine 1 Limited Series CGC 10.0 OW-W Pages

Hey, but what do I know? I lean towards facts and reality.

(shrug)

Yeah, as has been pointed out - CGC's standards are not publicly known, so who is to say they use the accepted form of what "perfect" means.

*sigh*

Actually in this case, the standards are publicly known, and came from Steve Borock's mouth when he was president. He did an interview in Wizard where he commented on the 10.0 grade. The article was scanned and posted on many chatboards, and that's where Bosco's (accurate) comments come from.

Can you show me a definitive list of standards, starting at the bottom grade and working to the top, that shows the standard for every grade? Not just a transcribed interview on what a 10 is, but the entire list of every grade, per CGC's use? If so, I know I am not the only one who would like to see it.

WTF are you talking about? I'm talking about a CGC article in Wizard where Steve Borock discussed the 10.0 grade.

Congrats on being the person who deserved this find!

I think the find, while certainly testament to FK's good eye, is also a form of karmic payback. I have always felt his auctions were a favor to us with his generous pricing and tight grading. The few books I have bought from him have all been very nice surprises in hand, and nicer still when returning from Sarasota.

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

CGC's standards are not publicly known, so who is to say they use the accepted form of what "perfect" means.

*sigh*

WTF are you talking about? I'm talking about a CGC article in Wizard where Steve Borock discussed the 10.0 grade.

And, as I emboldened above, I am talking about their entire list of standards. What part of that do you not get? I speak English and made it pretty clear.

You do seem to be getting upset about this, maybe you should calm down a bit before posting like that.

-slym

CGC's standards are not publicly known, so who is to say they use the accepted form of what "perfect" means.

*sigh*

And, as I emboldened above, I am talking about their entire list of standards. What part of that do you not get? I speak English and made it pretty clear.

You do seem to be getting upset about this, maybe you should calm down a bit before posting like that.

:screwy: I must be missing an inside joke or something, because you're either replying to the wrong person or just talking out your asss here. Either that or you fell of the wagon or something and need to take another sabbatical.

*sigh*

:screwy: I must be missing an inside joke or something, because you're either replying to the wrong person or just talking out your asss here. Either that or you fell of the wagon or something and need to take another sabbatical.

Nope, right person. If you will notice, I brought up the standards before you posted.

And how would a person with just 20 posts know I had taken a sabbatical?

You are Shilly Shillington.

-slym

*sigh*

Pretty harsh words from a n00b.