• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC...This is NOT okay.

251 posts in this topic

That's not an 8.0 and is the reason I stopped subbing books to them. Look under the desk at CGC and find the bottle of Rum and there is your encapsulation bandit.

I don't understand how anybody can tell what that book should grade with just a few poor pics of the front cover.

Should we trust the owner of the book or the company that shipped that monstrosity back to him?

I'mmmmmm gonna trust the owner of the book.

Sensationalism sells news but it doesn't accurately represent what is happening most of the time. How about we trust the facts?

Book was a CGC 9.4 that was cracked out and currently has grading notes that make it sound like an 8.0. Very possible that the book was damaged at some point after it was removed from the 9.4 holder and before it was slabbed as an 8.0. It happens all the time.

At this point we don't know if the book was welded that way or that the book just pushed through a weak weld. Personally, I doubt it was welded that way (it would have to be welded by a blind man and then ALSO pass through QC) but I suppose it is possible.

I think any company that provides a service should be given the opportunity to rectify a problem before a public complaint is made. That's just my own personal 2c

I see absolutely no reason why CGC can't address this particular issue right here. Whether the book was welded that way, or the book "pushed through a weak weld"....its a significant problem. (shrug)

At least when Borock was president, he'd jump right in and work to remedy the situation.

fair point

That's not an 8.0 and is the reason I stopped subbing books to them. Look under the desk at CGC and find the bottle of Rum and there is your encapsulation bandit.

I don't understand how anybody can tell what that book should grade with just a few poor pics of the front cover.

Should we trust the owner of the book or the company that shipped that monstrosity back to him?

Sensationalism sells news but it doesn't accurately represent what is happening most of the time. How about we trust the facts?

Book was a CGC 9.4 that was cracked out and currently has grading notes that make it sound like an 8.0. Very possible that the book was damaged at some point after it was removed from the 9.4 holder and before it was slabbed as an 8.0. It happens all the time.

At this point we don't know if the book was welded that way or that the book just pushed through a weak weld. Personally, I doubt it was welded that way (it would have to be welded by a blind man and then ALSO pass through QC) but I suppose it is possible.

I think any company that provides a service should be given the opportunity to rectify a problem before a public complaint is made. That's just my own personal 2c

I see absolutely no reason why CGC can't address this particular issue right here. Whether the book was welded that way, or the book "pushed through a weak weld"....its a significant problem. (shrug)

At least when Borock was president, he'd jump right in and work to remedy the situation.

fair point

It is a fair point, but an inefficient one.

They have a customer service department that has repeatedly said they do not monitor threads.

I've always advocated "one on one" problem solving as a first resort with public displays as a last resort. It's the best way to solve problems, IMO.

This entire situation can likely be solved with a simple phone call.

Now if they failed to address it properly, then you could have a terrific Friday thread!

It's just easy to see how some emotion and not enough facts can create a real storm that isn't very productive.

I understand the OP wanted to vent. We all do sometimes.

Those are just my beliefs - nobody has to agree with them. :foryou:

fair point

It is a fair point, but an inefficient one.

They have a customer service department that has repeatedly said they do not monitor threads.

I've always advocated "one on one" problem solving as a first resort with public displays as a last resort. It's the best way to solve problems, IMO.

This entire situation can likely be solved with a simple phone call.

Now if they failed to address it properly, then you could have a terrific Friday thread!

It's just easy to see how some emotion and not enough facts can create a real storm that isn't very productive.

I understand the OP wanted to vent. We all do sometimes.

Those are just my beliefs - nobody has to agree with them. :foryou:

I agree Royo.

What issue?
The one that's in the slab that everyone in this thread is talking about - Detective Comic #880, where the Joker's head is sort of made up of a bunch of flying bats. It's a pretty cool cover. Is the story any good?

I can see being ticked off about the way that thing got slabbed, book is ruined, but i can't see anything from your pics that demonstrates to me that it isn't or is an 8.0.

Is that book now very expensive? I sold a copy that was probably a 9.8 here for like $15-$25, I forget exactly. So is it now a $200 book? Wouldn't shock me after I sold 10 copies of Saga 1 for $30 each and 2 weeks later they were hitting $100 a pop.

Forget about the copies I sold for $6-$10 a few months before then.

banana082.gif Looks fine to me!

Just received it today. First of all, this book is in NO way shape, form an 8.0. I own a LOT of books, and an 8.0 isn't even in the realm of possibility with this book. Furthermore, How the HECK do you manage to get the book THAT far off center??? Nobody would ever even buy the book with the "beautiful" centering.

photo1-3_zpsb409c4df.jpg

photo2-5_zps1a3c1aad.jpg

photo3-2_zps8c7b3739.jpg

NEW photos.

DSC_2948_zps8543838f.jpg

DSC_2949_zpsf9ffbd5b.jpg

DSC_2950_zpsdf3cf743.jpg

Yeah, but people who post on the wrong end of the quote don't get a say at anything in life.

So suck it.

Just received it today. First of all, this book is in NO way shape, form an 8.0. I own a LOT of books, and an 8.0 isn't even in the realm of possibility with this book. Furthermore, How the HECK do you manage to get the book THAT far off center??? Nobody would ever even buy the book with the "beautiful" centering.

photo1-3_zpsb409c4df.jpg

photo2-5_zps1a3c1aad.jpg

photo3-2_zps8c7b3739.jpg

NEW photos.

DSC_2948_zps8543838f.jpg

DSC_2949_zpsf9ffbd5b.jpg

DSC_2950_zpsdf3cf743.jpg

:devil:

Yeah, but people who post on the wrong end of the quote don't get a say at anything in life.

So suck it.

photo1-3_zpsb409c4df.jpg

photo2-5_zps1a3c1aad.jpg

photo3-2_zps8c7b3739.jpg

NEW photos.

DSC_2948_zps8543838f.jpg

DSC_2949_zpsf9ffbd5b.jpg

DSC_2950_zpsdf3cf743.jpg

:devil:

photo1-3_zpsb409c4df.jpg

photo2-5_zps1a3c1aad.jpg

photo3-2_zps8c7b3739.jpg

NEW photos.

DSC_2948_zps8543838f.jpg

DSC_2949_zpsf9ffbd5b.jpg

DSC_2950_zpsdf3cf743.jpg

Very!

YIKES!!! Don't the books just sit in "Quality Control" for a few days?! THAT came out?! :sick:
:thumbsup: banana082.gif

Could of happened in shipping, They do throw the packages around. I'm sure CGC would be more than willing to fix it rather than throwing a hissy fit over a cheap modern age book. Did you ever make a mistake at work? I thought so.

Could of happened in shipping, They do throw the packages around. I'm sure CGC would be more than willing to fix it rather than throwing a hissy fit over a cheap modern age book. Did you ever make a mistake at work? I thought so.

Let me show you a "hissy".....read the thread. It's not from shipping, the book can not move and is sealed in that position. Next, cheap modern....a 9.6 SS book sold for $169, which isn't exactly bottom of the barrel. Lastly. The grade. It was cracked from a 9.6....is it possible I messed it up while getting it signed? Yes. Is it very likely? No.

Regardless of the grade and who is at fault, the book is ruined....and ruined by CGC.

Let me show you a "hissy".....read the thread. It's not from shipping, the book can not move and is sealed in that position. Next, cheap modern....a 9.6 SS book sold for $169, which isn't exactly bottom of the barrel. Lastly. The grade. It was cracked from a 9.6....is it possible I messed it up while getting it signed? Yes. Is it very likely? No.

Regardless of the grade and who is at fault, the book is ruined....and ruined by CGC.

9.4, I thought you said?

In any event, as someone else already said, it seems far from unlikely that something happened to the book post-cracking and pre-slabbing to crease it and drop the grade. What's the alternative? That CGC damaged it in the course of grading? The 8.0 would have been assigned before the sealing fubar.