• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,253 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2023 at 8:16 PM, zzutak said:

The Kraken!  :fear:
One of my personal faves, just back from an incredibly short trip to Sarasota.  Kudos to CGC.  (thumbsu  It's always a kick to discover a new "top census" specimen in the wild, especially given that CGC is now in its 24th year of operation.  :banana:

226290868_AIU49-75.thumb.jpg.1a2316bba18d19809e0f132c1180b716.jpg

This one is SWEET👍‼️☝️👀

On 2/26/2023 at 7:30 PM, RiteOff said:

Wow such incredible stuff for a new pch collector to take in! 

You and I both.  I've only been collecting them semi-seriously for a couple of months.  I don't even like horror movies/literature, but for some reason a lot of these PCH/Golden Age covers are appealing to me... it's a shame I only realized it in my 50's. lol.

On 2/28/2023 at 12:57 PM, fifties said:

Yes, they indeed have a certain campy appeal.  Better late than never AFA that aspect for you.  :wink:

Here's one I put together a cover and correct interior for recently;

City Of The Living Dead.jpg

I think some of it also is because it's truly part of the history of comics.  Kind of like "wth, I thought they only had Father Knows Best and Howdy Doody type stuff back then".  Then you see stuff like PCH and think "this is like discovering a land lost in time". lol.  I've always wanted to collect sci-fi and space-related stuff from the GA, but only recently even knew PCH covers existed.  After falling in love with those two, I'm pretty much collecting anything within budgetary-reason I can.  For the rest of the stuff you guys post in threads like this, I'm content to just drool at what I'm missing out on.  That's an awesome cover.  I always love seeing stuff I've never seen before and that cover may qualify.

Edited by Telegan

On 2/27/2023 at 1:03 AM, Larryw7 said:

I got bit in 1977 when my dad brought me the book Horror Comics of the 1950's as a Christmas present.

I got that book from my girlfriend when it came out. To this day, TFTC #23 on the dust jacket is probably my favorite EC horror cover. She sure was a cutie…:x

On 3/1/2023 at 8:26 PM, N e r V said:

I remember picking up my last copy in 2014 which was a CGC 6.0 at $1500.00 thinking what a dumb a*s I was for over paying on that copy. Pretty happy I didn’t dump it…

I remember selling my VF copy for something like $190 because I was disappointed it wasn't a VFNM as advertised when I bought it.  I thought that since it was a Harvey I'd pick up a better copy down the line.  Oops. 

On 3/2/2023 at 10:43 AM, buttock said:

I remember selling my VF copy for something like $190 because I was disappointed it wasn't a VFNM as advertised when I bought it.  I thought that since it was a Harvey I'd pick up a better copy down the line.  Oops. 

You held to your standards.  The $30,000 you left on the table pales in comparison.

On 3/2/2023 at 7:43 AM, buttock said:

It is interesting how the market has just blown up on this book in the last few years vs other PCH. I’ve kept expecting Venus #19 to be a book that moves quickly too but it hasn’t happened. Nice gains but pretty standard price movement for a book that’s been considered classic Everett. Black Cat #50 is another just way, way up there now.

On 3/2/2023 at 3:26 AM, N e r V said:

I remember picking up my last copy in 2014 which was a CGC 6.0 at $1500.00 thinking what a dumb a*s I was for over paying on that copy. 

You were right, you are a complete dumb a*s.

With that in mind, and in the spirit of Board community, I am willing to recompense you for your foolishness by paying you your initial outlay and throwing in a bear claw.  

I will take the burden of this daft purchase on the chin.  :cry: